• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Quiz (India Special)

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is the second Quiz, a little different in the sense that the Questions are focused on Cricket associated to a particular country. In this case India.

The Quiz is not intended to challenge or give a hard time to the readers but it is meant to recall some of the great performances of past and present cricketers so as to disseminate Cricket knowledge amongst us so that we all get enriched.

Readers can attempt to answer one or multiple questions whichever they feel comfortable.

I am not announcing the answers before next Friday.

It is possible that two or more readers may have common answers and for that points will not be deducted.

I think if we all try a bit then by Friday, September 11, 2009 , we should be able to answer all. Why not?

Now Let’s recall some of those landmarks in the form of Quiz.

Here you go:

Question 1

India has won the One day World Cup in 1983

a Who was the opposing Team?
b What were the Final Scores ?
c Who were the opposing Captains?
d What was the turning point of the match ?
e Who won the man of the Match Award?

Question 2

He is unquestionably the pioneer of Indian fast bowling.

He had express speed and deadly accuracy and proved by the fact that 13 of his 25 victims in his short cricket career were clean bowled or LBW.

Another interesting findings about him is out of 25 wickets he took 5 wickets 3 times.

If speed guns were available at that time he would easily be clocking (90 -100) miles per hour.

Who is the Express Speed Maestro of the past?

Question 3

Arguably the best ever wicket keeper batsman that India produced and in his days one of the best in the world.

He is well known for taking many blinders and when it came to batting, a fighter to the core. Has saved India on numerous occasions from some impossible situations.

Who is this Indian gem wicketkeeper Batsman par excellence of the past?

Question 4

Is considered one of the best Indian skippers of all time and led India creditably during his 46 appearances, 40 as a captain.

He was the first Indian Captain to bring about an Overseas victory

a) Who is this unforgettable Legend Indian Captain of the past?
b) His son in another profession Film world is not doing bad either.
Who is the Cricketer son Actor?

Question 5

Sachin Tendulkar

a Sachin Tendulkar’s first name is named after a famous personality in India. Who is he?

b Who was Tendulkar’s Coach and Mentor in his early days?

c Tendulkar’s season in 1988 has special significance ? What is that special Significance?

d At the age of 14 Tendulkar received a Gift from another Indian Legend which he described as a source of great inspiration for him. What did he receive ?

e Tendulkar shared an unbroken partnership of six hundred plus in inter-school game in 1988 with another team mate who also played for India.
Who is the other teammate?

Answers will be posted Friday ,Sept 11, 2009 by 10:00 p.m(EST)

Who is the first Brave Heart to take a shot?

Good luck to everybody!

kingkallis

International Coach
Question 1

India has won the One day World Cup in 1983

a Who was the opposing Team?
Answer : West Indies

b What were the Final Scores ?
Answer : India all out 183, West Indies all out 140, India winning the cup by 43 runs

c Who were the opposing Captains?
Answer : Clive Lloyd

d What was the turning point of the match ?
Answer : Kapil's catch of Viv Richards

e Who won the man of the Match Award?
Answer : Mohinder Amarnath for his fine all round performance

Question 2

He is unquestionably the pioneer of Indian fast bowling.

He had express speed and deadly accuracy and proved by the fact that 13 of his 25 victims in his short cricket career were clean bowled or LBW.

Another interesting findings about him is out of 25 wickets he took 5 wickets 3 times.

If speed guns were available at that time he would easily be clocking (90 -100) miles per hour.

Who is the Express Speed Maestro of the past?

Answer : Mohammad Nissar

Question 3

Arguably the best ever wicket keeper batsman that India produced and in his days one of the best in the world.

He is well known for taking many blinders and when it came to batting, a fighter to the core. Has saved India on numerous occasions from some impossible situations.

Who is this Indian gem wicketkeeper Batsman par excellence of the past?

Answer : Farokh Engineer

Question 4

Is considered one of the best Indian skippers of all time and led India creditably during his 46 appearances, 40 as a captain.

He was the first Indian Captain to bring about an Overseas victory

a) Who is this unforgettable Legend Indian Captain of the past?

Answer : Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi

b) His son in another profession Film world is not doing bad either.
Who is the Cricketer son Actor?

Answer : Saif Ali Khan Pataudi

Question 5

Sachin Tendulkar

a Sachin Tendulkar’s first name is named after a famous personality in India. Who is he?

Answer : Great music director Sachin Dev ( S.D. ) Burman

b Who was Tendulkar’s Coach and Mentor in his early days?

Answer : Ramakant Achrekar

c Tendulkar’s season in 1988 has special significance ? What is that special Significance?

Answer : SRT scored 100 in every inning he played in 1988

d At the age of 14 Tendulkar received a Gift from another Indian Legend which he described as a source of great inspiration for him. What did he receive ?

Answer : Sunny Gavaskar gave SRT his pads when he was 14

e Tendulkar shared an unbroken partnership of six hundred plus in inter-school game in 1988 with another team mate who also played for India.
Who is the other teammate?

Answer : Vinod Kambli
Good quiz mate! :)

kingkallis

International Coach
Excellent start. Question 3 still open. Try again. I am pretty sure you know the answer.

All the best!
Well, I think Farokh was the best Wickey we ever produced!

If not Farokh then is it Budhi Kundaran?

Please dont say Kirmani or More as they were not the best in their time! We had better wickeys during their time.

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, I think Farokh was the best Wickey we ever produced!

If not Farokh then is it Budhi Kundaran?

Please dont say Kirmani or More as they were not the best in their time! We had better wickeys during their time.
Chillax Mate!. I cannot tell you the exact answer because this question is still open.

However having said, that You deserve a hint having answered 80% correct.

The hint : He won the award for the best wicket keeper in the 1983 Cricket World Cup.

You have every right to agree and disagree. We can go thorugh that after Friday when all answers are posted.

I am 100% sure you will be convinced with the appropriate answer.

Preparing a Quiz takes a lot of time because you have to consider several factors like:

Target audience

Level of difficulty of readers

Quality and composition of questions - Not too diffcult or Easy: Medium option

Then most important factor is reliability of source . Researching and Identifying the best source of information and double checking with another authentic source to make sure it is a valid and genuine information source.

Watching videos as appropriate (I am fortunate to have over 200 + Cricket DVDs including all World Cup Highlights excluding 1987 which is not commercially available).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

kingkallis

International Coach
Thanks mate!

But you better throw more light cause unfortunately I am not convienced that Kirmani was the best wickey batsman we "EVER" produced!

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
More About Kirmani

Thanks mate!

But you better throw more light cause unfortunately I am not convienced that Kirmani was the best wickey batsman we "EVER" produced!
More About Kirmani

Cricinfo

Link: Syed Kirmani | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

First Two lines of his Profile

Kirmani was the quietly efficient worker ant who replaced the flamboyant Farokh Engineer behind the stumps for India, and went on to become their greatest wicketkeeper.

Last two lines of his profile

He played a crucial role in India's triumph in the 1983 World Cup, contributing a flourish or two with the bat in addition to being immaculate behind the stumps.

Wikipedia

Link: Syed Kirmani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Popularly known as 'Kiri', Syed Kirmani is generally regarded as the finest wicket keeper to play for India.

I will have a comparison of Kirmani and Engineer posted tomorrow.

I will ensure you are fully convinced and satisfied.

Cheers!

kingkallis

International Coach
More About Kirmani

Cricinfo

Link: Syed Kirmani | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

First Two lines of his Profile

Kirmani was the quietly efficient worker ant who replaced the flamboyant Farokh Engineer behind the stumps for India, and went on to become their greatest wicketkeeper.

Last two lines of his profile

He played a crucial role in India's triumph in the 1983 World Cup, contributing a flourish or two with the bat in addition to being immaculate behind the stumps.

Wikipedia

Link: Syed Kirmani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Popularly known as 'Kiri', Syed Kirmani is generally regarded as the finest wicket keeper to play for India.

I will have a comparison of Kirmani and Engineer posted tomorrow.

I will ensure you are fully convinced and satisfied.

Cheers!
Unfortunately I am not convienced that Kirmani was the "BEST WICKEY BASTMAN" we ever produced!

Sir Donald Bradman praised Farokh and that means a lot as well.......

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unfortunately I am not convienced that Kirmani was the "BEST WICKEY BASTMAN" we ever produced!

Sir Donald Bradman praised Farokh and that means a lot as well.......
Sir Donald Bradman praised Farokh . But did he say That Farokh was better than

Kiri? Most likely not. If that is the case how can we infer that Farokh is greater than Kiriwhen two authentic sources Cricinfo and Wikipedia are claiming:

Cricinfo

Wikipedia

Popularly known as 'Kiri', Syed Kirmani is generally regarded as the finest wicket keeper to play.

So you mean to say you do not believe in Cricinfo and Wikipidea.

We are not done yet. We are at Cricinfo and Wikipedia claims stage

We might have to analyze and discuss individual records of each which I will do tomorrow if need be.

Don’t worry we will fight it out?

Cheers!