• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Top Umpires of all time

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
:laugh:

if you put the controversy aside Shakoor was a pretty good umpire I think England problem in that series were mainly with Riazuddin.
Didn't he never give LBW's against pakistani batsmen?

I rate umpires based of how much havoc they cause.

Taufel and Dar are pretty dull.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Didn't he never give LBW's against pakistani batsmen?

I rate umpires based of how much havoc they cause.

Taufel and Dar are pretty dull.
Nah from what I heard Shakoor was ok it was Riazuddin and Javed Akhtar who had the green goggles on.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bucknor was very good in his early years,we should forget his last 4 or 5 when he was clearly not the same umpire he used to be.

The best i have seen in no particular order are...

Taufel
Bird
Bucknor
Willey
Shep

With an honourable mention for Hair.:ph34r:
I think you should also see Aleem Dar :)......

even a Sachin or a Warnie have an off day:)

Much better then a Doctrove or a Harper who gurantee a howler or two per game.
Doctrove has to be the worst umpire of the lot. He is terrible. And also I so hated him for being a moron in the Pak-Eng ODI series this summer when Afridi asked him to refer to the 3rd umpire for a stumping. He was so rude with Afridi and it turned out that the batsman was actually out. Afridi was quite gracious in his post-match comments when Nasser Hussain asked him about that incident. He should have blown Doctrove away.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think you should also see Aleem Dar :)......

Doctrove has to be the worst umpire of the lot. He is terrible. And also I so hated him for being a moron in the Pak-Eng ODI series this summer when Afridi asked him to refer to the 3rd umpire for a stumping. He was so rude with Afridi and it turned out that the batsman was actually out. Afridi was quite gracious in his post-match comments when Nasser Hussain asked him about that incident. He should have blown Doctrove away.
Yea that was dire...not reviewing the decision even after appealing.

kingkallis

International Coach
Who was that Indian umpire who raised his finger to give Jadeja out against SL and then proceeded to scratch his head instead? :ph34r: I nominate him.
It was against New Zealand. And his name is Professor Sharma. Oh god he was terrible.

You should have seen the expressions of Chris Cairns or Dion Nash whoever was the bowler. The worst ever decision in cricket for sure.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unless I've missed some his bad decisions, I actually reckon Tony Hill from NZ has been damn impressive in the last couple of years, ten times the umpire that show-pony Bowden is for a start.

srkven

Cricket Spectator
We all know that the result of a match primarily depends on a team that either Bats, Bowls, Fields or is Led better or could be a combination of these.

But there is also one other vital factor that plays a key role in the outcome of a match.

That is Umpiring.

Back in the olden days we hade only Home Umpires officiating matches and instinctively or unconsciously a few decisions went in favor with of home team which resulted in bad taste.

With the advent of Neutral Umpires, generally speaking, there is now less controversial decisions .

We still have wrong decisions as Umpires like any of us are also human and will make mistakes . Bt the margin of error is much less than before. Also with introduction of Third Umpire Referrals life has become much easier now.

Nowadays Umpires can refer cases of Run Outs, Stumpings, unsure boundary, Over boundary shots to name a few to the Third Umpire.

So having said all these lets figure out the performance of some of the of best umpires to have officiated Test or One day Cricket.

Reader’s can choose up to five.

Here is my take:

1.Dickie Bird (England)
2.Simon Taufel (Australia)
3.David Shepherd (England)
4.Aleem Dar(Pakistan)
5.Rudi Koertzen(SouthAfrica)

What’s Reader’s selection?

Who’s next?

Good Luck to everyone!
I think Simon and Dickie should be swapped around with Aleem Daar at 3rd. The other few I don't really know about.

But some people particularly love Steve Bucknor (cough Indians SCG Test 2008)

And Billy Bowden is quite funny sometimes. :)

Blaze 18

Banned
Simon Taufel has a good case for being the best umpire of all-time, he is just class. David Sheperd was another brilliant umpire, right up there with the best ever. Aleem Dar and Rudi Koertzen deserve a mention as well. Steve Bucknor was good, but stayed on for two-three years too many, perhaps more.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

if you put the controversy aside Shakoor was a pretty good umpire I think England problem in that series were mainly with Riazuddin.
It was Shakeel Khan we had massive problems with, if I remember correctly.'