Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saqlain Mushtaq: what went wrong?

Saqlain Mushtaq: what went wrong?

I wanted to start this thread to talk about Saqalin Mushtaq and trying to come up with a logical explaination on what went wrong with this great bowler.. last time i saw him playing..during late 90s he was at the peak of his career.. he had a succesful tour of india.. successful world cup where he took a hatrick along with 19 wickets..and had a successful tour of Aus as well..a decline in series followed Aus tour and injuries forced him out of the team. although he tried to make a come back and was part of the pakistani team on world cup 2003 and Indian tour of Pakistan on 2004 but still he was out most of the team between those years..

I heard rumers about his relationship with Inzi and pakistan cricket board.. do you guys think that Pakistani cricket board maybe handled Saqlain wrong..suppose if Saqlain was to play for England or other team. would he have longer career?

Cricketer Of The Year kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    I wanted to start this thread to talk about Saqalin Mushtaq and trying to come up with a logical explaination on what went wrong with this great bowler.. last time i saw him playing..during late 90s he was at the peak of his career.. he had a succesful tour of india.. successful world cup where he took a hatrick along with 19 wickets..and had a successful tour of Aus as well..a decline in series followed Aus tour and injuries forced him out of the team. although he tried to make a come back and was part of the pakistani team on world cup 2003 and Indian tour of Pakistan on 2004 but still he was out most of the team between those years..

I heard rumers about his relationship with Inzi and pakistan cricket board.. do you guys think that Pakistani cricket board maybe handled Saqlain wrong..suppose if Saqlain was to play for England or other team. would he have longer career?
    Obviously!

PCB killed so many talents and Saqi was one of them. He would have taken 600 ODI wickets and would have been proved himself to be one of the best ODI players ever but PCB just couldnt handle him well and ego of Pakistani players and administrators are always bigger than Himalaya.........

He had so much to offer......what a bowler!
    CricZo XI - Draft Dashboard

16 Golds | 15 Silvers

Scorecard Draft - 2010 | Alphabetical Draft - 2011 | The Eras Draft - 2014 | All Time Australia Draft - 2016 | All England Draft - 2016 | Draft By Nation - 2016 | Dual 00-10 Draft - 2017 | Dual 80-90 Draft - 2017 | Silent Auction Draft - 2018 | We are NOT #1 - 2018 | Centuries Draft - 2018 | ODI Partnership Draft - 2018 | Chain Draft - 2018 | Viral Draft - 2020

All Time Trading Game - 2016 | ICC Sim League VI - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by kingkallis View Post
    Obviously!

PCB killed so many talents and Saqi was one of them. He would have taken 600 ODI wickets and would have been proved himself to be one of the best ODI players ever but PCB just couldnt handle him well and ego of Pakistani players and administrators are always bigger than Himalaya.........

He had so much to offer......what a bowler!
    I don't think that's entirely true, he kind of self-destructed AFAIC, after all his sucess I think he started to take things for granted, he was so much in love with his "doosra", that he started ignoring the importance of bowling good off-spinners, and really that's from where his decline started, his fitness problem didn't help either.

It was his knees that did for him as a performer at the highest level. Spent pretty much two years out of the game and, although he's made a semi-successful return after looking finished for good, he's never been the force of old. A televised spell for Ireland just after his return was almost painful to watch, so far had his powers been reduced.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There’s only one head bigger than Geoffrey Boycott’s and that’s Birkenhead." -FS Trueman

State Vice-Captain
    This gives you an idea how good he was in his heyday:

YouTube - Saqlain Mushtaq 5 for 29 V Australia 96/97 C&U Series

^^^
    cricket in the 90's...good times good times...
    Saqi in the mid to late 90's was a force in ODI's.
    Pity about the injuries and the crazy PCB.
    In the top 3 greatest ODI bowlers of all time.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    This gives you an idea how good he was in his heyday:

YouTube - Saqlain Mushtaq 5 for 29 V Australia 96/97 C&U Series
    I remember that series. One of the last I watched before leaving Pakistan. Hardly a spectacular spell though, nowhere near one of his best.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

I had the pleasure of bowling alongside him (as we both bowled to Saleem Elahi) in the nets in Dunedin in the mid-1990s, at the time where he was working on his arm ball. A delight to watch.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    I had the pleasure of bowling alongside him (as we both bowled to Saleem Elahi) in the nets in Dunedin in the mid-1990s, at the time where he was working on his arm ball. A delight to watch.
    Thats fantastic.

Out of curiosity, how fast do you reckon he bowled? Quicker then the average club quickie? Also did he bowl the doosra in the nets?

Nah, not quicker than the average club quickly. Quicker than my leggies, but I saw medium-pacers in Dunedin senior cricket who bowled comfortably quicker than him. He was still learning the doosra at that stage - the coach we were training with, Billy Ibadulla, was going through the arm-ball/toppie with him.

State Captain
    im not sure. but i think something definately went wrong because he got dropped.

awesome voltman. my respects.

saqi was kind of self destructing himself and was on his way out but the mauling he got in the hands of sehwag at multan shut the door firmly on him. very similar how imran finished the career of prasanna's and jayasuriya ended prabhakar's.

I beat Elahi's bat just once, but that was like a wicket to me.

It was while this game was on - I had to leave the match halfway through to go to the indoor nets, but I wasn't complaining at all. A 16 year old getting to have a crack at those chaps? Sweet.

I beat Elahi's bat just once, but that was like a wicket to me.
    that is far better than my cricket anecdotes; like having a beer with dennis lillee or swapping hotel rooms with ricky ponting. would have loved to be hit for a six by ricky. beating the bat of an international cricketer is really cool indeed.

His doosra was found out by the SC batsmen, and after that he had no second plan against them. His performance against IND and SL went from magnificient to horrible within 4-5 years. And players like Tendulkar, Ganguly, de Silva and Jayasuriya started feasting on him after they found out what he does with his doosra. If he playd more, would have been found out by non-SC batsmen as well. Unless he has added some second-third plans to his bowling the script would have been an epic fail.
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information