Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saqlain Mushtaq: what went wrong?

I remember how talk went around at one stage that he ran in quicker for his doosra than his normal ball, although he rectified this. A bit like how Australia picked Paul Adams' variations because his "normal" legspinner (i.e. spun towards the right hander) was always quicker than his stock ball, which spun away from the right-hander.

Saqlain was hugely unlucky I believe.

every spinner goes through a period where due to injuries, getting found out or other factors become predictable and loose their potency and they have to alter or reinvent themselves. Warne went through it so did Murali, Kumble, Harbhajan and guys like Kaneria and Monty are going through it right now. Just before the 2003 WC Saqlain had 2 pretty decent series against Australia and Zimbabwe where he was getting wickets through his off breaks, changing of flight and his new discovery a fast straighter one, he was bowling his doosras fewer and fewer in those series so Saqlain was well on his way on reinventing his bowling but then 2003 WC happened Saqlain faced the chop unneccessarily and then got injured he was brough abck when he was short of match practice and was fed to a rampaging Shewag on a flat track this led to another axing his injury recurred with Kaneria going through a purple period PCB decided Saqlain had no future and gave him their typical step motherly treatment and Saqi never recovered from it.

I am not saying its a guarantee that Saqi would have discovered his peak2-3 year form but knowing his talents I am pretty sure he would have found a way to be successful again after all he was just 25 when 2003 happened.
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 10-09-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    after all he was just 25 when 2003 happened.
    didnt realize he was that young when he played his last game. pity he has missed out on 70 more tests and about 300 wickets.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    didnt realize he was that young when he played his last game. pity he has missed out on 70 more tests and about 300 wickets.
    If Saqlain is as young as Cricinfo says he is, I'm the King of China (or the working Yorkshire miner).

Real shame he fell away when he did, though. Delightful player to watch at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    If Saqlain is as young as Cricinfo says he is, I'm the King of China (or the working Yorkshire miner).
    Ha, always good to see a random Spitting Image reference.

Still think any other answer than "his knees were ****ed" is wrong tho.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There’s only one head bigger than Geoffrey Boycott’s and that’s Birkenhead." -FS Trueman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information