• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest Pakistani spinner?

Who is the greatest of all Pakistani spinners?

• Nasim-ul-Ghani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mushtaq Mohammad

• Intikhab Alam

• Pervez Sajjad

• Iqbal Qasim

• Tauseef Ahmed

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
Who in your view is the greatest Pakistani spinner of all time? I get the impression that Abdul Qadir is generally considered the greatest but while he probably had the greatest reportoire of deliveries and was undoubtedly a real force in Pakistan his away record compares unfavourably with all other contenders. Perhaps one might suggest that while his sheer natural talent allowed him to flourish in familiar surroundings he didn't have the bowling brain to overcome conditions unfavourable to his style of bowling. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of those old enough to have have seen him, or any of the other contenders.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Abdul Qadir. His actual influence on Pakistan cricket and cricket in general was quite huge. Yes, he doesn't really have the finest set of stats but the era he played in wasn't the best for spinners as well. And its not as if the other contenders have tremendously better records anyway.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Abdul Qadir. His actual influence on Pakistan cricket and cricket in general was quite huge. Yes, he doesn't really have the finest set of stats but the era he played in wasn't the best for spinners as well. And its not as if the other contenders have tremendously better records anyway.
What he said.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tough tough call between Saqlain & Qadir, decided on Saqlain by a whisker mainly due to his being close to unplayable for 2-3 years at one stage

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wrist spin might well have died out had it not been for Qadir so he gets my vote as remarkable as Saqlain was at his peak

stumpski

International Captain
Two horse race already (waiting for Zaremba to cast his vote for Mushy though); went for Saqi because of his success around the world and especially in England; Qadir didn't often succeed outside the subcontinent. Also have to back the Surrey alumnus. :ph34r:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Saqlain for me. The man was ridiculously good in his heyday. Qadir was the more significant spinner (not that Saqi is far behind) but I've always rated Saqlain higher as a pure spinner.

bagapath

International Captain
Want to vote for Qadir coz thats what my heart says. But Saqlain succeeded in a batsman friendly era which also had many other world class spinners in action. There were several players in the world who were experts at playing spin. Qadir was the only one of his kind in the world for a few years and that worked to his advantage. The best player of spin in the Qadir era was Miandad who fielded at short leg for him and did not sweep him for boundaries. Saqlain had to contend with the Indian, Australian and Sri Lankan batting line-ups - not to forget Brian Lara - who were all excellent batters of spin bowling. Saqlain also tamed the lion in its own dean - 4 consecutive five wicket hauls against the Indian batting line up in India is as big an achievement as any in the game of cricket.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Want to vote for Qadir coz thats what my heart says. But Saqlain succeeded in a batsman friendly era which also had many other world class spinners in action. There were several players in the world who were experts at playing spin. Qadir was the only one of his kind in the world for a few years and that worked to his advantage. The best player of the spin in the Qadir era was Miandad who he fielded at short leg for him and not sweep him for boundaries. Saqlain had to contend with the Indian, Australian and Sri Lankan batting line-ups - not to forget Brian Lara - who were all excellent batters of spin bowling. Saqlain also tamed the lion in its own dean - 4 consecutive five wicket hauls against the Indian batting line up in India is as big an achievement as any in the game of cricket.
I agree with all that - but I'm a romantic at heart

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain, and if it weren't for sentiment it'd be even clearer. For a time he was up there with even Warne and Murali. He's also one of the best ODI bowlers of all time.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Two horse race already (waiting for Zaremba to cast his vote for Mushy though); went for Saqi because of his success around the world and especially in England; Qadir didn't often succeed outside the subcontinent. Also have to back the Surrey alumnus. :ph34r:
Voted for Abdul Qadir in fact, although I take Ikki's point that sentiment plays a big part here. Mind you if it were purely about sentiment, it would indeed have been the little wizard for me

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I almost voted for Saqlain. It was a tough choice. Qadir's is the more difficult art but it is also the one that gets higher rewards. I think what Saqlain achieved as an off spinner is remarkable.

Qadir gets a lot of credit for reviving the art of leg spin but he did not invent it. Saqlain needs to get more credit for inventing the doosra than he does. I wish the delivery was more directly linked to his name for posterity than it is.

Even before the doosra, as a pure off spinner Saqlain was a remarkable bowler. But for Murali coming along and wiping the floor with every other off spinner in history we would have remembered Saqlain as the greatest off spinner of the modern era.

bagapath

International Captain
Even before the doosra, as a pure off spinner Saqlain was a remarkable bowler. But for Murali coming along and wiping the floor with every other off spinner in history we would have remembered Saqlain as the greatest off spinner of the modern era.
wow. that is some serious praise you are showering on him. when you say modern are you including gibbs and prasanna or is it only post-1975 era you are considering?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm here to challenge the people who voted for Kaneria to a duel. We draw swords at high noon.