• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest One Day Upsets

bullseye

School Boy/Girl Captain
One day cricket has given us different kind of excitements. But one of the great excitements has been cases of a lesser known teams beating a Top One and that too convincingly .

Readers can post up to a maximum of 5 selections on their first post in the first 24 hours to give everyone a chance.

After the 24 hour period is over they can add 5 more per post. No limit.

This is our first round to identify the Greatest One Day upsets.

In the second round readers can add links to Video highlights which obviously will have better impact.

Here is my selection of Greatest one-day upsets.

1 Bangladesh beating Australia by 5 wickets, Cardiff 2005

2 Zimbabwe beating Australia by 13 runs, World Cup, 1983

3 Kenya beating West Indies by 73 runs, World Cup, 1996

4.Bangladesh beating South Africa by 67 runs, World Cup, 2007

5 Bangladesh beating India by 5 wickst, World Cup, 2007

Let’s now find out what are Reader’s selections.

Who’s going to take the first Shot?

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An obvious one you've missed is Ireland's win over Pakistan in the '07 WC

Might have a go at my top 5 later

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ireland beating Pakistan in 2007 WC takes the cake.

Non WC games, Bangladesh beating Australia in the 2005 Pre-Ashes series ODI Triangular.

stumpski

International Captain
Durham beating Yorkshire in the Gillette Cup in 1973

Kenya beating Sri Lanka, 2003

Bangladesh beating Pakistan, 1999

Oh and Ireland beating West Indies by 9 wickets in 1969. :)

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
My top 5 ODI upsets, all resulting from World Cup games.

1. Ireland v Pakistan 07

2. Bangladesh v Pakistan 99

3 Zimbabwe v Australia 83

4 Kenya v West Indies 96

5 Zimbabwe v England 92

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suppose The Netherlands beating England in the 2020 WC should be up there.

Also, the gallant minors Hertfordshire beating Essex in the old Gillette Cup in 1976 is worthy of a mention too. An Essex containing such test luminaries as Messers Gooch, Flecther & Lever to boot.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
India beating Windies in the 1983 WC final.
That would get my vote too. Perhaps that looks an odd one to call to people who weren't around at the time, but it really was out of the blue given how good WI were, how ordinary India were (esp against a good pace attack), the fact that it was the final, WI had won the previous 2 WC's, etc, etc.

Shri

Mr. Glass
That would get my vote too. Perhaps that looks an odd one to call to people who weren't around at the time, but it really was out of the blue given how good WI were, how ordinary India were (esp against a good pace attack), the fact that it was the final, WI had won the previous 2 WC's, etc, etc.
I was born on 1990 ftr.:p

Since it is the only ODI WC India has won, the TV channels back here still telecast highlights and sometimes the whole game. So, I have watched the match multiple times and felt that I could comment on it.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
All that and the fact that India managed only 183 in their innings. I wonder what kind of odds you would have got on India during the break.

Dissector

International Debutant
For a different kind of upset I would add England beating Australia in the tri-series a few years ago. This was after their 5-0 beating in the Ashes and they were even more awful in the first few games of the tournament. They were a dazed and defeated rabble who looked as if they had given up before setting foot on field. Then all of a sudden they raised their game and beat Australia three times in a row quite easily including two finals. Amazing stuff.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
For a different kind of upset I would add England beating Australia in the tri-series a few years ago. This was after their 5-0 beating in the Ashes and they were even more awful in the first few games of the tournament. They were a dazed and defeated rabble who looked as if they had given up before setting foot on field. Then all of a sudden they raised their game and beat Australia three times in a row quite easily including two finals. Amazing stuff.
Yep the poor performances in those 5 warm-up games made the season's climax all the more glorious :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was ****ing special that, a wonderful time in my life and makes me so happy when I think about it. Of course it was scant consolation for having loaned the Ashes back to Australia, but it was an incredible win.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the 1992 cwc

Pakistan's Story...
Pakistan won just one of their first five matches and looked to be headed for a first round exit, only to win their last three pool games (including the previously undefeated New Zealand side in their final pool match). Pakistan had a slightly inferior run-rate than Australia, but received one point from their match against England which they looked set to lose (having made just 74 all out) until rain intervened. Without that vital point Pakistan would not have qualified for the semi-finals.

South Africa's Story...
South Africa's semi-final against England ended in controversial circumstances when, after a rain delay, the rule in use for revising target scores in rain-affected matches revised their target from 22 runs from 13 balls to an impossible 21 runs from one ball. This rule was replaced for One-day International matches in Australia after the World Cup, and it was eventually superseded by the Duckworth-Lewis method for the 1999 World Cup onwards. The revised D/L target for the match would have been four runs to tie or five to win from the final ball.

Last edited: