• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising young batsman

Who is the most promising young batsman?

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
What a good little innings from Akmal yesterday sure the attack was not the greatest but still a green track under lights in SA can always be challenging.One to watch out for:)

kingkallis

International Coach
Seriously, this guy has a wonderful career ahead!

I'd advice him to get shifted to UK though, so he can get more chance to play @ international level ;)

mohammad16

U19 Captain
LOL what a biased Aussie and English board this is. Anyone who has watched Umar Akmal play would have realized this guy is a powerhouse. He easily shows 10 times the potentinal of Ferguson, Hughes and such next players combined.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, sure he does. :sleep: Anyway, maybe if Pakistani cricketers made more of a habit of coming close to maximising potential rather than wasting it either totally or substantially, people might have slightly higher expectations.

I don't have a clue how good or otherwise this Umar Akmal lad is, he might be the next Chappell for all I know, but the suggestion of any form of bias from the large majority on this board is as ludicrous now as it has been on the 145,693,346,567 or so occasions it's been suggested before.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got big hopes for him, have not seen him live yet but looked excellent a couple of weeks back in the Pro40. Struggled a bit in the four day game of late, got into the 20's quite a few times but has failed to go on. Think he is tending to be caught behind the wicket a lot and my dad said he played at a lot balls he should have been leaving when he saw him a couple of weeks ago, this is all stuff that can be worked on but I am trying not to expect too much yet.

SeamUp

International Coach
All I'm going to say is that Rossouw and Vandiar are going to be sensational for SA in the future. They are such agressive batsmen with strokes all around the wicket.

Huge players with Parnell in getting us to the final in u19 WC and both already breaking records in their teens at domestic level.

The question isn't if they will play for the Proteas but when basically.

Flem274*

123/5
All I'm going to say is that Rossouw and Vandiar are going to be sensational for SA in the future. They are such agressive batsmen with strokes all around the wicket.

Huge players with Parnell in getting us to the final in u19 WC and both already breaking records in their teens at domestic level.

The question isn't if they will play for the Proteas but when basically.
Seems to be quite a few players around the world doing this. Down here we have Southee, Williamson and Boult all doing very well and pushing for NZ selection, and thats just NDs lot. Half the U19s have got themselves first team spots and are actualy contributing.

Pretty exciting for the future of international cricket.

Voting Williamson because I'm biased and him smashing Bond in that domestic game was just funny.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm so glad for Rilee in announcing himself to the world with that knock tonight and hopefully he continues to light up the CL.

Now its just for Jonathan Vandiar who most thought in SA was more talented than Rilee.

Love the talent coming through.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazing that in just 3 months we can now add both Barath & Umar Akmal to the list

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Akmal is already on the list, and Barath originally slipped my mind/no-one suggested him.

Howsie

International Captain
Seems to be quite a few players around the world doing this. Down here we have Southee, Williamson and Boult all doing very well and pushing for NZ selection, and thats just NDs lot. Half the U19s have got themselves first team spots and are actualy contributing.
Pretty exciting for the future of international cricket.

Voting Williamson because I'm biased and him smashing Bond in that domestic game was just funny.
Who's that?

Howsie

International Captain
Barath? He's been scoring runs for more then a few months tbh, since he was 16 pretty much.

Flem274*

123/5
Who's that?
Southee
Boult
Williamson
Raval (when he plays, which is not as often as he should be)
Worker
Bracewell
Anderson

With Morgan, Beard, Boam getting the odd go.

Its not looking as rosy as it was though. :( Worker was good at getting 30s and the occassional fifty, but has dropped off a bit. Anderson hasn't capitalised on a promising start either which is disappointing. Then there's Williamson's form..

Southee and Boult are on fire and whoever picks the CD team has been underrating Bracewells batting, he's been contributing with bat and ball.

Only the ND trio and Raval have set the world on fire, but the others have contributed to their teams.

Howsie

International Captain
Tbh I think it's a good thing that Williamson is struggling this season.

- Firstly it allows him to take in failure before being picked for International cricket
- He won't be rushed into the New Zealand team before he's ready (Pretty sure had he started of well this season we'd of seen him play for New Zealand at some point during this summer