• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising young batsman

Who is the most promising young batsman?

• Total voters

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
And missed Adrian Barath, too.
Was just about to have a moan before I saw that post :laugh:. Well I guess I'll have a moan anyway, he should have been one of the first on the list. An FC average just under 50 in our 4 day competition is incredible simply because the umpiring is shocking. He has also scored runs prolifically at every level he has played.

Young Kraigg Braithwaite is an amazing young batsman but he has only just started his FC career at 16 years old. He is yet to perform like Barath has in regional cricket, but I have no doubts he will do and will play for the West Indies.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Should already be a test international but the West Indies thought playing Bangladesh with only four batsman (one of whom was the hapless, Floyd Reifer) was the way to go.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should already be a test international but the West Indies thought playing Bangladesh with only four batsman (one of whom was the hapless, Floyd Reifer) was the way to go.
Yeah ridiculous really. Picking a 16 yr old isn't ideal but he >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reifer. And probably he >>>> Dowlin, but Dowlin actually did pretty good.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews looks like the next big deal for SL, as well as Kaushal Silva, who is a wicket keeper batsman. We might see Prasanna Jayawardane loosing his place to Silva after Murali retires, if he does not perform with the bat. ATM no one daring to drop PJ because keepers who cannot pick Murali irritates him to the bone.

GGG

State Captain
I wouldnt mind giving him a run in a couple of T20's this year and if he performs consistantly domestically then perhaps ODI's v Bangladesh (they are touring right). But definately not test matches, should wait untill 2010/2011 summer.

From all reports hes a massive talent, really hoping he comes through.
I don't think he is cut out for bash from ball one cricket at the moment.

pup11

International Coach
Early days obviously, but so far I've not been too impressed with Smith's batting. It'll be interesting how many chances he gets especially in the four day matches this year with NSW having a billion batting options.
As you said, its still pretty early days for him, but from what I've seen he has got a lot of potential with both bat and ball, Greg Chappell rates him pretty highly, and he recently performed very well with both bat and ball for AIS in Emerging players tournie, as well as during their recent tour of India.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Fergo's 25 though.
Well unless you are a Mike Hussey or Andrew Jones making your debut in the late 20s or early 30. I think a bloke like Ferguson who clearly is new to intl cricket should be considered young TBH.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah 25 is not old in cricket terms. You can have a career of more than 100 tests even if you make your debut at 25-26.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldnt mind giving him a run in a couple of T20's this year and if he performs consistantly domestically then perhaps ODI's v Bangladesh (they are touring right). But definately not test matches, should wait untill 2010/2011 summer.

From all reports hes a massive talent, really hoping he comes through.
Agree with GGG, 20/20 cricket aint his strength. IIRC his best format is First Class.

Him playing some ODIs in a couple of years would be the way to go rather than 20/20 imo.

pup11

International Coach
Fergie is just 24 atm, so there are still a lot of good years ahead of him, and had it not been for his habit of getting out after making starts, he would have made his debut for Australia a long time ago.

Flem274*

123/5
Fergie is just 24 atm, so there are still a lot of good years ahead of him, and had it not been for his habit of getting out after making starts, he would have made his debut for Australia a long time ago.
You could say that for most non-international domestic batsmen around the world though..:p

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mods. Is it possible to add Adrian Barath and Ahmed Shezdad and change Pujara's name to his actual one?