• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising young batsman

Who is the most promising young batsman?

• Total voters

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kane Williamson of New Zealand. Didn't have a great emerging players tour but was head and shoulders different class when NZ U19 toured England last year.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Nasir Hossain, of Bangladesh. Didn't play for the Under 19s this season, even though he's eligible for at least another whole year, because he was with the Academy side. Very promising middle-order bat and offspinner.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Liam Dawson IMO. His innings was way more impressive than Vince's and he is only a year older. Can bowl well as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
From South Africa its Dean Elgar, Rilee Rossouw and Jonathan Vandiar.

Vandiar and Rossouw are probably the most exciting to watch purely because of their willingness to attack non-stop. But you cannot right off a hard worker like Elgar as they are just as important to a batting line-up.

Elgar manipulates fields with touch play. Scored a double ton at 19 on SA's seaming domestic pitches.

Rossouw bashes the ball like Graeme Smith and also like the reverse sweep. sCORED 131 OFF 108 balls last season in list A game.

Vandiar is a silky wrist player like Amla who loves using his feet to the spinners. Debuted at 17 while still at school and scored 172 off 210 balls last season in 4-day cricket.

and all are left-handers.

Flem274*

123/5
For us I'd nominate:

Kane Williamson
Corey Anderson
George Worker
Jeet Raval
Andrew de Boorder (think he's under 21, all I know is he hasn't played many games but seems to do well)

Out of those that haven't played FC cricket (and yes I am making this subcategory for an ulterior purpose):

James Neesham ftw. Move over Hughes.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liam Dawson IMO. His innings was way more impressive than Vince's and he is only a year older. Can bowl well as well.
Have high hopes for both of them, both look to have real quality about them which I have not seen much of from young Hampshire batsman. Having said that Dawson has had a pretty tough season this year, think that he is not sure what sort player he is going to be yet, I personally feel he must continue to work on his bowling as well as his batting. Vince has made a habit of getting to 20 odd and then getting out but I am sure that is an issue that can be overcome with experience.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For us I'd nominate:

Kane Williamson
Corey Anderson
George Worker
Jeet Raval
Andrew de Boorder (think he's under 21, all I know is he hasn't played many games but seems to do well)

Out of those that haven't played FC cricket (and yes I am making this subcategory for an ulterior purpose):

James Neesham ftw. Move over Hughes.
Kane Williamson in particular is supposedly unspeakably good.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Just realised that Pujara was over 20.

And missed Adrian Barath, too.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
If Williamson wasn't 18 he'd already be in the NZ team by now. Is probably the best domestic batsmen (After Sinclair) that NZ has. Pretty good too considering he plays at Cobham Oval.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If Williamson wasn't 18 he'd already be in the NZ team by now. Is probably the best domestic batsmen (After Sinclair) that NZ has. Pretty good too considering he plays at Cobham Oval.
He just turned 19. I think he needs another year or so like everyone said.
His FC average is 45 already. And his List A is 39.

But he didn't do great in the NZ A team.

Also -the following criticism is harsh but in the following game

Cricket Archive

he scored 100 runs - but I thought he showed his inexperience. Northern were needing 22 off the last 3 overs and he didn't seem to have the game to get a boundary when we needed one and Northern lost by 5 runs. I think he will learn from the experience and will bring us home next time. Apologies for this harsh comment and realise a century is a century.

I think we threw Ken Rutherford to the wolves, the West Indies, when he was like 19 and he averaged 2 runs for the tour. So I think we want to let Kane grow.

pup11

International Coach
Steve Smith, Pujara, Hughes are some of the younger blokes who are likely to have very bright future.

Dilscooped

Cricket Spectator
Tamim Iqbal, he is a veteran of the Bangladesh cricket team and has another 10 or so years in him. He's definitely one to watch out for in years to come.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Umar Akmal, this guy looks to be a serious talent for Pakistan. He has dominated in dometic cricket and recently in the australia A vs Pakistan A series. And then comes and plays for Pakistan and does well in his debut games.

A bright future ahead for this guy.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Younger brothers are traditionally under achievers in cricket. Mark Waugh, Grant Flower etc.:p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Steve Smith, Pujara, Hughes are some of the younger blokes who are likely to have very bright future.
Early days obviously, but so far I've not been too impressed with Smith's batting. It'll be interesting how many chances he gets especially in the four day matches this year with NSW having a billion batting options.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I think we threw Ken Rutherford to the wolves, the West Indies, when he was like 19 and he averaged 2 runs for the tour. So I think we want to let Kane grow.
I wouldnt mind giving him a run in a couple of T20's this year and if he performs consistantly domestically then perhaps ODI's v Bangladesh (they are touring right). But definately not test matches, should wait untill 2010/2011 summer.

From all reports hes a massive talent, really hoping he comes through.