• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Told ya

G

I told you England would do quite well. Did you see Hoggard ripping through their top order?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate to say this, but the England attack looks just as ordinary as NZ's depleted attack does.

Giles is nothing more than a pie chucker, and when Flintoff, Hoggard & Caddick are put under pressure they don't handle it too well.

In the end the difference was Flintoff's century, if NZ had bowled properly to him they would have not required the 98 they lost by.

I think the next 2 tests are going to be a different story, as I imagine NZ will now look to go after the English attack with more confidence.

davidvegeta24

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
astle smashed all englands pace bowlers all over the place i must say flintoff is pretty uselees when it comes to bowling :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still can't believe the English are comparing Flintoff to Botham!, Flintoff certainly doesn't have the shot selection of Botham and his bowling isn't that good at test level, if I were Botham i'd be a little angry to see myself being compared to Flintoff.

Still its early days, but i think this Botham hype has been sparked by the British Media who are always looking for a controversial topic.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
There's is a gigantic difference between Flintoff and Botham. First of all, Flintoff can't bowl very well. His action is weird and half the time they go down the legside where all the good batters will smack him all over the shop. Secondly, Flintoff isn't consistent. Before his 137 in Christchurch he had notched up 3 ducks in his last 4 innings! Botham on the other hand would at least get into double figures. I suppose Flintoff did make up for those ducks with that magnificent 137, though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If Flintoff hadn't have got 137 we wouldn't have declared on Day 3... Without that we would have made about 600 all out by the end of Day 4 and it would have been a draw

Why do I not get the feeling we'll come to agreement here?

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pinkline Jones said:
Flinntoff would be better placed over hurdles
Flintoff is now a top-draw world class allrounder, for me it has been his bowling which has been the greatest revelation. He is decidedly more pacy than I ever imagined.

Camel56

Banned
Pinkline Jones said:
Flinntoff would be better placed over hurdles
Totally agree Jonesy. If i was flintoff's trainer id be sending him to school over the jumps asap. I think he could be a big chance in a race like the Hiskens come the winter.

Craig

World Traveller
Even I will admit he is (or was at his last lot of internationals) is playing as well he ever has.

However, Flintoff being Flintoff, will successfully manage to injure himself before the Ashes. I'm tipping torn hamstring, groin, ankle, hernia, back, shoulder, a broken hand or finger/s.

I find it strange how many niggles and injuries he seems to pick up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not recently I don't think - he made a positive effort to clean up his act, lose a bit of weight and get fit.

Any injuries he's had now have come from his indispensibility (I mean Rikki Clarke at 6 hardly frightens the opposition does it, unless he shows his face to them)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
davidvegeta24 said:
astle smashed all englands pace bowlers all over the place i must say flintoff is pretty uselees when it comes to bowling :D
yes and now you mention it so is harmison.... and thorpe is a disgace of a batsman now you think about it...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nzidol said:
Flintoff is now a top-draw world class allrounder, for me it has been his bowling which has been the greatest revelation. He is decidedly more pacy than I ever imagined.
He's been capable of 90mph since 2000.

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
However, Flintoff being Flintoff, will successfully manage to injure himself before the Ashes. I'm tipping torn hamstring, groin, ankle, hernia, back, shoulder, a broken hand or finger/s.

I find it strange how many niggles and injuries he seems to pick up.
If him and harmison become injured for the ashes i will drink myself into a 3 month coma.

Craig

World Traveller
Wouldn't put it pass England's key players some how managing to get themselves to get injured.

What it is with injuries to key English player and coming up against Australia I have no idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet it's happened in at least 2 other Ashes series.
For no apparent reason, it so often happens before Ashes series. Even in the instances where there's been no epidemic (a la 2001, 2002\03 and 1994\95) there've still been more problems than you'd hope for (1998\99).