• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sajid Mahmood vs Mark Gillespie

Who would you pick?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
These two 140+ lads have often been picked for their respective teams to cries of misery from fans. Lethal on their day, as Pakistan and South Africa discovered, these two never really turned it on for more than a couple of innings in their careers.

So, if you had to pick one, who would you pick?

Was trying to think of other similar bowlers with similar careers and CW opinions of them so feel free to bring some other names out. For this poll though its just the two of them.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the thread itself, bloody hard to say considering both are so utterly ordinary

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I will just comment on Gillespie. He was a proponent of bowling fast low full tosses at the death because they couldn't be hit for six. They used to go for 1 or 2 every ball and he would go for ten off his over and the commentators would praise his bowling and his tactic. I don't see anyone else in the world bowling fast full tosses. I wonder why.
Why not bowl a yorker or at least try to.
I watched him bowl at a game in Queenstown once and watching live he was noticeably quicker than our other bowlers that day. But the batsman just picked him off every time he bowled a bad ball.
He is also famous for going through lots of pairs of shoes - he has to wrap tape around his shoes to stop them from splitting and they still split on him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure there's still a fair bit more to come from Saj Mahmood (and Plunkett for that matter) as he was picked so early. I'd have him.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gillespie. Saj was really ****ing ordinary from what I saw the last Ashes series, just really pointless stuff.

SioneNZ

Cricket Spectator
I'd go with Gillespie, on his day he was quite good but other than that his bowling was rubbish. From what I have seen from Sajid Mahmood he is a very ordinary bowler as well.

pasag

RTDAS
When I first got foxtel, turned the TV on and the first thing I saw was Mahmood bowling beautifully vs Pakistan. Getting swing, pretty accurate and taking wickets. Looked like a real talent. Turned out to be the exception to the rule. Gillespie pretty easily.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gillespie for my money. Always love tubby quicks. Bowls full (of length, not lard), swings it at a decent lick.

Sajid favours more of a scattergun approach.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure there's still a fair bit more to come from Saj Mahmood (and Plunkett for that matter) as he was picked so early. I'd have him.
He's 28, though, hard to see him improving too much. Plunkett is a bit younger so there might be hope for him yet though he doesn't seem to have done much these past couple of years.

Mahmood's Test debut was great, he took about 3-9 in his first spell. Shame about the rest.