• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC awards 2009

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
haven't seen any discussion around this, apologies if I am just being dense.

Can't quite grasp why Onions has been nominated for cricketer of the year but it's nice to see. Any ideas on who will win? Perhaps less obvious than in recent years. I think the timespan is from last August to this July, something like that
BBC SPORT | Cricket | Strauss & Onions up for ICC award

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Johnson shouldn't get any award, bottled it in the biggest series of his career*

*maybe not the biggest as some would say the SA series were 1 V 2 (well, everyone would say they were, because, um, they were) but everyone knows Aussies care about the Ashes as much as we do (far more soul searching going on now than any other Aussie defeat I've experienced)

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Tough call, I'd probably give it to DeVilliers, he's played some awesome awesome innings in that time period. Gambhir's had a very very good run in that time too. When you consider what Samaraweera's gone through it's pretty amazing but the issue of weak opposition may temper his case. Steyn certainly warrants a look in and is right up there with AB, he was brilliant in Oz. Johnson, well take out the Ashes and he had a terrific year, but the Ashes happened and bar one innings at Headingley he was all over the shop. Strauss has been very very solid, but he's not up there with DeVilliers. Michael Clarke's been very good but considering how poor Australia's recent run has been (apart from the series victory in SA, it's not been great) not sure about his chances. Laxman's another who's had a very good year but I'd pick AB over him too.

Sod it just give it to AB, he's played more great innings over the last 2 years than most players do in a career.

The ODI one I'd give to Kulasekara, he's been fantastic and it's always good to see a bowler doing well.

Emerging player I'd give to Ryder or Mishra, probably Ryder.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I'm tipping Jimmeh to win the James Anderson award for being James Anderson.

Hoping Swanneh gets Test player of the year too. Won't happen, but I can hope. If that clown Johnson wins anything it's a joke.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
My biased West Indian POV awards:

International Cricketer of the year - Andrew Strauss

Test player of the year - Ramnaresh Sarwan (probably wont be but he should IMHO)

ODI player of the year - Yuvraj Singh

Emerging Player - Phillip Hughes

20/20 performance of the year - Dwayne Bravo v India 20/20 WC (he really should win this, it was remarkable).

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No Parnell or van der Merwe for emerging player of the year? :huh:

AB de Villiers for cricketer and test player of the year. Averaged over 70 in 13 test matches against Australia, India and England with five centuries.

ODI to Nuwan or UV.

Botha unlucky not to be nominated for the ODI award. Deserved it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I strongly protest this years nominations. I am the only cricketer left out this year :@

jondavluc

State Regular
International Cricketer of the year - Tillakaratne Dilshan

Test player of the year - AB de Villiers

ODI player of the year - Yuvraj Singh

Emerging Player - Jesse Ryder

20/20 performance of the year - Tillakaratne Dilshan

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni averaged 60 odd in ODIs last year. He should get the ODI player of the year award imo. Either Abdv or Gambhir for test player of the year. Both of 'em have averaged over 70 in tests.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
No Parnell or van der Merwe for emerging player of the year? :huh:

AB de Villiers for cricketer and test player of the year. Averaged over 70 in 13 test matches against Australia, India and England with five centuries.

ODI to Nuwan or UV.

Botha unlucky not to be nominated for the ODI award. Deserved it.
Gosh forgot Parnell should take the emerging player award at a canter (except for Ryder....).

Indeed Botha missing out on the ODI nomination is pretty surprising, he's been consistently excellent.

Last edited:

SioneNZ

Cricket Spectator
International Crickter of the Year - Kumar Sangakarra if not then Dan Vettori
Test player of the year - Andrew Strauss
ODI Player of the year - Yuvraj Singh
Emerging player - Jesse Ryder
20/20 Performance of the year - Tilakaratne Dilshan

AaronK

State Regular
i would agree with most of what u guys picked

but i think afridi should be the twenty 20 cricketer of the year..

three back to back half centuries.. and winning the world cup for pakistan single handedly

he also averaged something like 13.42 in 13 matches with 19 wickets..

just because he won the world cup for Pakistan.. he should get the award..

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Don't really care TBH. I can barely remember what happened (other than in England games) last August. Cricket seems to be about short-term form more than any other sport and these awards seem to fall somewhere in the grey area between "the best player in the world" and "the most in-form player in the world", which doesn't work for me.

They'd also make more sense at the end of a year, because no-one's mind really works on an August-August calendar, other than teachers...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The timescale is set with the southern hemisphere season's beginning in mind I believe

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Daft timescale, though. They did that last time after the Ashes too, and so half of it wasn't in, and so Flintoff only drew with Kallis or something like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, last time was worse as it in fact cut off after the first Ashes Test, meaning the four that he was awesome in were ignored. He never got a nomination the year after though, despite being awesome in those four Tests against the best team in the world, awesome in India away, bowling well in pakistan, etc, not that I'm a bitter Freddie fanboy or anything :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
International Cricketer of the year - AB de Villiers

Test player of the year - AB de Villiers

ODI player of the year - MSD

Emerging Player - Peter Siddle

20/20 performance of the year - Tillakaratne Dilshan