• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Catches In The History of Cricket

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Does anyone have a link to Dipak Patel's catch against Australia in Perth from 1987??
I was at that game. January 3rd 1988. Great catch. Craig McDermott was the batsman. Looked like it was going for six then Patel comes around and plucks it out of the air.

Mike Whitney batted out the last over against Hadlee for a draw less than a week earlier to save the Melbourne test and Aust wins the test series. This time he goes for the big hit to win the match with 2 needed off 3 balls. Caught at mid-off.
New Zealand win by 1 run.

The Patel catch is at 1:10.

YouTube - Australian Classic Catches

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JP Duminy's in the Twenty20 where he caught Dave Hussey, running backwards and just had to wait until the ball came into view, and snared it when it came over his left shoulder.
Win. That was extraordinary.

As was Steve Waugh's behind-the-sightscrren catch off Harper in an ODI at the MCG in 88-89.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
John Dyson's catch of Sylvester Clarke at the SCG in 81/82 is my all time favourite as it was the first truly classic catch I saw live on television.

John Embury took an absolute blinder in the 1986/87 one day series against Australia to dismiss Ken MacLeay IIRC.

Stapel

International Regular
The finest catch ever was taken by yours truly, only 3 weeks ago, when I was in the gully and caught a firm reverse sweep single handedly (left hand!), body and arm fully outstretched in the air.

Obviously, as this happened at the lowest level of Dutch Cricket (so, that's really low), no camera's were around......

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John Dyson's catch of Sylvester Clarke at the SCG in 81/82 is my all time favourite as it was the first truly classic catch I saw live on television.

John Embury took an absolute blinder in the 1986/87 one day series against Australia to dismiss Ken MacLeay IIRC.
I was on the Hill at the SCG when Dyson took that catch. Was amazing. Later the same day Bruce Yardley took a screamer in the gully too. Quality day.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Kapil Dev's catch of Viv Richards

Another over the shoulder catch, and in match context couldnt have been better - India had made a low score in the finals, Richards was going strong. This catch triggered a collapse and India won the world cup.

Last edited: