• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers that don't like each other

AaronK

State Regular
Lets discuss this topic..

Name cricketers that don't like each other or didn't like each other when they were playing together.. state reasons and the incident(s) (if any) that caused the rift between them..

Growing up in 90s as a cricket fan.. i heard alot of stories about the politics of the Pakistani cricket team and pakistani cricket board.. the conflict between Aamir sohail and wasim akram.. the fiction of Waqar, Aaqib and Aamir sohail gainst Wasim, Malik and Ijaz Ahmad...and the ugly match fixing allegation that came as result of these conflicts... do these cricketers still hate each other come to think of it..lets discuss it all..

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miandad & Lillee had the famous incident, not sure if they hated each other though

Not sure Harbhajan & Symonds/Hayden were best mates either

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
KP and Jonathan Trott. Fell out when they played U19 cricket in the Republic and Trott told KP where to go after getting him out in a Lord's final in 2005. Trott is also good friends with Graeme Smith (they opened together for RSA U19's).

"The first time Trott and Pietersen crossed paths, in an under-19 game in South Africa, was not without incident. “He was an off-spinner then,” Trott recalled. “He bowled me one ball and I blocked it, and he started shouting at me. I told him to toss it up if he wanted to abuse me, and he did. I slogged him out of the ground. "

Jonathan Trott: ‘If selected I can do the job’ - Times Online

bagapath

International Captain
Miandad & Lillee had the famous incident, not sure if they hated each other though
miandad had lillee as the primary fast bowler in his dream team. and lillee had him as one of the top ten middle order batsmen of his era. i guess they are ok these days.

ian botham and ian chappell have not forgotten the drunken fight they had in australia more than 30 years ago. from their words one can assume they must be hating each others guts.

Zinzan

ian botham and ian chappell have not forgotten the drunken fight they had in australia more than 30 years ago. from their words one can assume they must be hating each others guts.
You'd have to think Beefy would have come out on top in that one

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it's accepted that Gower never really got on with Gooch and when the latter was captain under Mickey Stewart pretty much squeezed the former out of the England team when he had another couple of years in him. I think the root cause was that Gower's laissez faire, public school attitude never quite fitted the more regimented approach of Gooch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Brearley managed to antagonise at least a couple of his contemporaries. Boycott couldn't stand him circa 1978 - 1980. Mostly this arose from resentment about Brearley captaining England when patently not deserving of a place in the side. Plus Boycs having a truckload of chips on both shoulders about Brearley's upbringing and education. However, I think his views mellowed post-1981.

The other guy that Brearley fell out with was Phil Edmonds, which is reckoned to be ne of he reasons why he didn't feature in too mnay England sides that MB captained.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boycs probably deserves a thread all to himself. I doubt anyone who's played with him truly considered him a chum.

stumpski

International Captain
Famously, Bradman vs the Catholics Fingleton and O'Reilly, who fell about laughing after the great man's final Test innings.

And more recently I got the impression that Sidebottom was not a fan of Panesar, probably down to his fielding though, he seems to have a go at his team-mates rather a lot.

Flem274*

123/5
Glenn Turner and Chris Cairns plus probably half of the side under his coaching.

John Bracewell and half the side he coached.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Boycs probably deserves a thread all to himself. I doubt anyone who's played with him truly considered him a chum.
Sure. The thing about Brearley was how much Boycs disliked him though. I think he was blindly oblivious to others' views of him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Chappell disliked Tony Greig. During a WSC one-day match Greig was facing Chappell with his side needing one run to win and Chappell deliberately bowled 4 wides very wide down the leg side. He didn't want Greig to score the winning runs as he had "no respect for him as a man or cricketer."

stumpski

International Captain
You can see why Boycs would have held Brearley in contempt - a southerner, university educated and not good enough to hold a place as a batsman. Having a Yorkshire born father (who played a couple of games for the county, IIRC) was his only saving grace I expect.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dennis Amiss tells a funny story of how he fell out with Sir Geoffrey.

Boycs was incensed after (for once) being the victim of a run out in the 2nd innings of this test with Dennis going on to make an unbeaten 138 to rub salt into the wound. Sir Geoffrey was apparently moaning to all and sundry in the dressing room that "The bastard's scoring my runs".

Amiss says that he tried to call Geoff a few weeks later and that the phone was answered by the great man's mother. Amiss asked "Can I speak to Geoff?" to which she replied,

"I'll just get him. Who is it?"

"Dennis Amiss"

"He's not in", she replied & hung up.

Knew how to harbour a grudge, did Boycs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham managed to offend one or two of the Pakistanis - 'mother-in-law' jibe in 1984, to the fore in the ball-tampering row in 1992, and generally not getting along with them. I don't think he & Imran are best of chums.

Zinzan

Dennis Amiss tells a funny story of how he fell out with Sir Geoffrey.

Boycs was incensed after (for once) being the victim of a run out in the 2nd innings of this test with Dennis going on to make an unbeaten 138 to rub salt into the wound. Sir Geoffrey was apparently moaning to all and sundry in the dressing room that "The bastard's scoring my runs".

Amiss says that he tried to call Geoff a few weeks later and that the phone was answered by the great man's mother. Amiss asked "Can I speak to Geoff?" to which she replied,

"I'll just get him. Who is it?"

"Dennis Amiss"

"He's not in", she replied & hung up.

Knew how to harbour a grudge, did Boycs.
Sorry to drift off topic, but must say that is quite a bizarre scorecard from that match, obviously one where it must have been difficult for batsmen to get in but once in they made hay