Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Ponting and Hayden

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

The Importance of Ponting and Hayden

Cricket Web - Features: The importance of Ponting and Hayden

Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne are usually cited as the key figures in Australia's now ended era of Test dominance but in their own way Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting were equally as significant.

by Marco Trevisiol
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Marco Trevisiol
    Who's he?

One of our features team, doesn't really post on the forums

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Good article, thanks. Great stat that: 30 games, 25 wins, 5 draws and 0 losses when Warne, McGrath, Ponting and Hayden played together.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

I thought you'd enjoy this one mate

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Think the jury's still out on Ponting's loss of form as to whether it's merely a dip or an actual decline. Still only 34, despite having been around since Adam was a lad. Hayden was approximately the same age after the 2005 Ashes and he turned around what looked like a terminal decline to be the most effective opener for another couple of years.

Interesting read anyway; Marco has a nice concise style of writing.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Good article, thanks. Great stat that: 30 games, 25 wins, 5 draws and 0 losses when Warne, McGrath, Ponting and Hayden played together.
    That last 30 games when they played together. I recall them losing in India in 2001.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Their are actually five Prominent figures that played a leading role in Australia's dominance in the recent past.

They are :

Batting : Hayden, Ponting and Gilchrist.

Bowling: McGraw and Warne.

If you look at the performance either one or more of these guys won the day for Australia.

Australia'a present dip is result of the vacuum created by Hayden, Gilchrist, McGraw and Warne. It will take sometme to fill the gap.

Also Ponting despite being a brilliant batsman may not have been in the same class as Steve Waugh.

U19 12th Man
    ^^^^^^ WHAT????^^^^^^

That has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. Yes i know people are entitled to their opinion but come on.

You are quite possibly talking about the greatest batsman ever here and whilst Waugh was fantastic as well when Pontings record is all said and done it will never be beaten

Conspiracy theory here: Tendulkar will keep playing as long as he can so that Ponting will not take the centuries/most runs records off him

It does irk me that Ponting doesnt get the respect he deserves purely/possibly because he acts like a chop on the field at times

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by trapol View Post
    ^^^^^^ WHAT????^^^^^^

That has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. Yes i know people are entitled to their opinion but come on.

You are quite possibly talking about the greatest batsman ever here and whilst Waugh was fantastic as well when Pontings record is all said and done it will never be beaten

Conspiracy theory here: Tendulkar will keep playing as long as he can so that Ponting will not take the centuries/most runs records off him

It does irk me that Ponting doesnt get the respect he deserves purely/possibly because he acts like a chop on the field at times
    Ponting does have an enviable record as a Captain . But recent losses against South Africa and England has dented his record and a question mark has been asked by a few Ex Australians if he is now the right choice of Captain in tests. They are actually thinking of Simon Katich who is believed to be tough customer .I don't think under Waugh Australia ever dipped as low as 4th in ICC ranking which is their current status and which is unimaginiable.

BTW I am a fan of Ponti. But one has to accept reality. Their is no respite from that.

U19 12th Man
    captaincy yes is a different story, Personally i dont believe he has been a good captain at any stage. A blind man could captain a team with Warne/McGrath in it especially when, as mentioned in this thread, you add all time greats like Hayden/Gilchrist and so on...

But as a player purely he is phenominal...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Think the jury's still out on Ponting's loss of form as to whether it's merely a dip or an actual decline. Still only 34, despite having been around since Adam was a lad. Hayden was approximately the same age after the 2005 Ashes and he turned around what looked like a terminal decline to be the most effective opener for another couple of years.

Interesting read anyway; Marco has a nice concise style of writing.
    I think the pressure of captaincy is affecting his batting now that he's managing a much younger team in the field. Sometimes he just doesn't seem mentally there to me, like in the first innings at the Oval.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

^^^^^^ WHAT????^^^^^^

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, possibly the greatest batsman ever? Not stretching the true a little here are you ?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    captaincy yes is a different story, Personally i dont believe he has been a good captain at any stage. A blind man could captain a team with Warne/McGrath in it especially when, as mentioned in this thread, you add all time greats like Hayden/Gilchrist and so on...

But as a player purely he is phenominal...
    He is certainly one of the greatest batsman of all time.

His one man demolition of the Indian Bowling attack in the 2003 World Cup Final is one of the all time Batting classic.

Cricket Spectator
    ^^^^^^ WHAT????^^^^^^

Sorry. I don't agree with your statement about possibly the greatest batsman ever. He is not even third best in Australia alone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information