• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your XI

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Omari Banks and Fidel Edwards might have been in there, but we know how that story goes...

Langeveldt

Soutie
What a cool thread, ive had such a bad day and cant wait to get stuck in... Here goes

"The Should Not Be XI"

1.D Smith
2.M Love
3.R Key
4.M Samuels
5.S Ervine
6.P Patel (wk)
7.S Bangar
8.J Ontong
9.R Peterson
10.C Willoughby
11.S Harmison (capt)

"The Should Be XI"

1.M Slater
2.S Anwar
3.I Ul Haq
4.G Thorpe
5.J Adams (why did he go)
6.G Rennie
7.M Khan
8.L Klusener
9.S Mushtaq
10.H Olonga
11.C Cuffy

Mr Mxyzptlk

I disagree on Devon Smith and, to a point, Marlon Samuels.

Re Adams: I have always been a fan because he always seems to put in 100% effort. It didn't always pay off in his Test career, but he still averaged 40.

Re Cuffy: He seems to have lost his commitment to West Indies cricket. He was still one of our best ODI bowlers with a steadily improving Test record.

I think everyone knows of my high esteem for Saqlain by now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If you read the article....
I enjoyed it - a lot.

Sorry, Liam, it's now in the archive - I've just posted a new feature on South Africa in the rest of the world feature article section.

Mr Mxyzptlk

That's what we aim for on Cricket Web - to keep a steady rotation of articles. That's also why we have an archive. :)

For anyone who's interested, you can find it here.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not getting the Samuels bagging :S

Should-be XI

David Fulton
Michael Hussey

Graham Thorpe
Martin van Jaarsveld
Vinod Kambli (controversy time..)

Andy Flower

Lance Klusener

Henry Olonga
Dave Mohammad (I know you want to write about him Liam)
Richard Johnson
Saqlain Mushtaq

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
David Fulton?

You been smoking something. Exactly which of the openers would he replace?

In fact which batsman full stop?

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
David Fulton?

You been smoking something. Exactly which of the openers would he replace?

In fact which batsman full stop?
I hear a opener going by the name of M Trescothick could well be out for this and the next test if he can't bat.

Problem Sovled :P

As for the team... Ed Smith, G Jones - Opps there I go posting the Kent side again :saint: :D

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
I hear a opener going by the name of M Trescothick could well be out for this and the next test if he can't bat.

Problem Sovled :P

As for the team... Ed Smith, G Jones - Opps there I go posting the Kent side again :saint: :D
Just stop at Ed Smith - quit while you're ahead.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i think michael clarke is a should-be. yes, he is young, but australia needs youth.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich, you're not seriously advocating Fulton in place of Trescothick are you?

If he is injured though, who do we think should replace him?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a should be XI

M Hussey
M Slater
V Kambli
M Clarke
S Katich
L Klusener
R Kaluwitharina
A Bichel (eternal 12th man)
S Mushtaq
Macgill (when warne is around)
and for the final bowling position i would like to nominate anyone in england except Harmison :lol: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So Age, you want Hussey, Slater, Clarke, Katich, Bichel and MacGill to replace Hayden, Langer, Lehmann, Love, Lee and Warne do you?

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Rich, you're not seriously advocating Fulton in place of Trescothick are you?

If he is injured though, who do we think should replace him?
No Marc iam not, I was just responding to the fact if Tresco is injured then there's a easy space.

Dave Fulton wouldn't and shouldn't be in the England squad, his form has been consistant but not fantastic, and the fact he doesn't have 20/20 vision in his eyes now would mean a superhuman effort to just cope with Test cricket (espically vs the real quicks)

However if Trescothick is injured I would seriously consisder Ed Smith for the job, he isn't that old.. he could be a like for like replacment opening the innings or he could fit in at 3 (where he bats for Kent) and allow Butch to open with Vaughan.

If not Smith then I see can't past Thorpe coming in.