• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock

subshakerz

International Coach
In terms of value as a player, you could argue that he is higher than Botham and Dev. Criminally underrated, both him and Kallis.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botham, in his pomp, was quite capable of winning any match at any time with bat or ball - he was unique

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Botham, in his pomp, was quite capable of winning any match at any time with bat or ball - he was unique
Mushtaq Mohammed in his "pomp" was able to score centuries and take fivefors against mighty Windies (which Botham could only dream of). So he must be the greatest:laugh:

Few good series would not show greatness. It has to be a sustained effort over years. Pollock has done that and so has Kallis.

fredfertang

Mushtaq Mohammed in his "pomp" was able to score centuries and take fivefors against mighty Windies (which Botham could only dream of). So he must be the greatest:laugh:
:laugh: - you'll be saying Steve MacManaman was a better footballer than George Best next

fredfertang

Sorry mate. I have absolutely no idea about soccer stars. But I hope that you've got the irony of the post.
I think I understand the point you're making although I must admit I'm struggling to find more than one game where it's even arguable that, by dint of his personal contributions Mushy was beyond doubt the difference between defeat and victory,

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock was the best all-rounder of my generation. Definitely in the top ten cricketers of my era as well.

Underrated by the public (not South African) but rates highly with his peers. Kinda like Jacques Kallis, who cricketers like Andrew Flintoff consider to be the 'perfect' all-rounder but has never received the same plaudits that Flintoff has, especially at home.

Super_Sajid

Cricket Spectator
Definitely one of the greatest all-rounders I have seen, I reckon he's definitely up there with the likes of Botham and Dev.

subshakerz

International Coach
Pollock was the best all-rounder of my generation. Definitely in the top ten cricketers of my era as well.

Underrated by the public (not South African) but rates highly with his peers. Kinda like Jacques Kallis, who cricketers like Andrew Flintoff consider to be the 'perfect' all-rounder but has never received the same plaudits that Flintoff has, especially at home.
How would you compare Kallis and Pollock?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
IMO, put Kallis and Pollock in an Indian, Australian or English cricket team and they would have received twice as much attention and fanfare.

They are still both very respected cricketers, and fans and experts are aware of their achievements, but they still aren't brought up when we talk best batsmen, bowlers or allrounders of the modern era.

Honestly think it'd be different if they played for another team. I used to not think that was the reason, but when was the last time a South African was spoken about as one of the elite (and not just a very good to great player). Would probably be Donald, and even he is slightly underrated.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How would you compare Kallis and Pollock?
One was a bowling all-rounder, the other a batting, so it is difficult to form a coherent comparison as they had completely different roles but Kallis would be second in regard to the best all-rounders who played in my era.

Pushing it to suggest Wasim Akram was a fully fledged all-rounder.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
IMO, put Kallis and Pollock in an Indian, Australian or English cricket team and they would have received twice as much attention and fanfare.

They are still both very respected cricketers, and fans and experts are aware of their achievements, but they still aren't brought up when we talk best batsmen, bowlers or allrounders of the modern era.

Honestly think it'd be different if they played for another team. I used to not think that was the reason, but when was the last time a South African was spoken about as one of the elite (and not just a very good to great player). Would probably be Donald, and even he is slightly underrated.

:ph34r:

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Did Pollock ever bat in the top 6? I think the greatest all rounders have to be in the top 6. Didnt Pollock come in at 8 for most of his career?