• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batting tail? (Test)

MC_Balaji

Cricket Spectator
Which nation do you think has the best test batting tail?

For me, I'd say England. Their batting tail is quite strong with:

08. Stuart Broad (Ave. of 30)
09. Graeme Swann (Ave. of 35)
10. James Anderson (Ave. of 14)
11. Steve Harmison (Ave. of 11)

That's not a bad batting tail there, Broad and Swann are both pretty handy batsman who both average 30.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
there was a time when SL had a tail of Pollock, Symcox, Elworthy and Donald.

Pakistan also had Wasim, Azhar Mahmood, Saqlain and Mustaq Ahmed, Wasim a double centurion, Azhar and Saqlain centurions.

inbox24

International Debutant
Australia's best tail (taken from players actually picked in tests)

White
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Krejza

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I too agree with the South African one!

McMillan
Pollock
Klusener
Symcox
Can't really look past that, that's scary. You get the top order out cheaply and Zulu is coming in at 10 and Symo was no mug. An effective pinch hitter for South Africa in ODI cricket and had his moments in test cricket with the bat, especially against Pakistan where he even batted top four on one occasion against Wasim, Waqar, Mushy and Saqlain...

3rd Test: Pakistan v South Africa at Faisalabad, Oct 24-27, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
1st Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Johannesburg, Feb 14-18, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  • Benaud
  • Davidson
  • Grout
  • Lindwall

That was a very powerful tail for Australia against Pakistan. Actually, Grout ended up going in at number four and Peter Burge came in at number eight. Then it became phenomenal :)

Dissector

International Debutant
India had some very useful tailenders in the early/mid 80's with the likes of Roger Binny, Madan Lal and Chetan Sharma. Kirmani who often batted at 8 was a useful batsman as well. Though 11 was often a weak link like Maninder Singh I wouldn't be suprised if there were some tests or ODI's where we batted right till 11.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Quite amazed that this-http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63844.html-has not been mentioned yet.

On a brighter note, another New Zealand "tail" here. 3rd Test: England v New Zealand at Manchester, Aug 5-9, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com. Very good indeed-I believe Vettori was regarded as a decet bat even back then, and had certainly made test fifties. Don't think that South African one from earlier could be bettered though-all of 8-11 have scored Test hundred, which must be a real rarity.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
About 4 years ago, I believe India has played at 8-11:
IK Pathan (centurion)
AB Agarkar (centurion)
A Kumble (centurion)
Harbhajan Singh (7 fifties)

This is probably the best recent combination for India.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite amazed that this-http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63844.html-has not been mentioned yet.

On a brighter note, another New Zealand "tail" here. 3rd Test: England v New Zealand at Manchester, Aug 5-9, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com. Very good indeed-I believe Vettori was regarded as a decet bat even back then, and had certainly made test fifties. Don't think that South African one from earlier could be bettered though-all of 8-11 have scored Test hundred, which must be a real rarity.
Yup, pretty amazing that Harris who has a FC average of 45 along with 14 FC hundreds was batting at 10

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, pretty amazing that Harris who has a FC average of 45 along with 14 FC hundreds was batting at 10
Well at the time of that game there averages were not that high.

8. Cairns : 27.4
9. Nash : 21.1
10. Harris 19.7
11, Vettori : 18.0​

Only Cairns had a Test century (two). A strong tail but not as strong as it appears today.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Well at the time of that game there averages were not that high.

8. Cairns : 27.4
9. Nash : 21.1
10. Harris 19.7
11, Vettori : 18.0​

Only Cairns had a Test century (two). A strong tail but not as strong as it appears today.
That's a fair point SJS, although Harris did have an international hundred at (I think) No.4 against a strong Australian attack of McGrath, Warne, Reiffel and co. so you''d think he'd be higher than no.10. I'm pretty sure Vettori had a test 90 by that time as well. So, yes, definitely a strong tail, if possibly not as strong as it appears in hindsight.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That's a fair point SJS, although Harris did have an international hundred at (I think) No.4 against a strong Australian attack of McGrath, Warne, Reiffel and co. so you''d think he'd be higher than no.10. I'm pretty sure Vettori had a test 90 by that time as well. So, yes, definitely a strong tail, if possibly not as strong as it appears in hindsight.
At the end of that match Harris had four first class fifties and his highest Test score was 71.

Vettori had three with a top score of 90.

Nash had three with a top score of 89 not out.

Only Vettori managed to improve his top score in Test matches. Nash and Harris remained at 89 and 71 respectively. There Test averages improved by just 1-2 runs per innings. Only Cairns and Vettori showed marked improvement in their stats.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would take South Africa's McMillan, Pollock, Klusener, Symcox just over Pakistan's Wasim, Azhar Mahmood, Saqlain and Mustaq Ahmed.