• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time XI: England

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I think that's a slightly different point - I look at just about every Lancashire player from the 70's and 80's through rose tinted spectacles.

If the current selection policy was in place in the 70's Jack Simmons, David Hughes and Peter Lee would probably have been first choice for the England ODI squad.

archie mac

International Coach
I think John Abrahams would have been a candidate for the captaincy after his Man of the Man winning duck in one of the one day finals.
ha ha, I remember that. JA played with my club in Canberra (Weston Creek) was a very nice fellow, but did not overly impress as a great player:ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I realise Herb was probably excluded because he's known primarily as an opener, but I personally think that's wrong-headed.
Haha, that's insane.

Anytime I think of an England all time XI, my top 3 is automatically Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton. No thought process or debate required.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well not all openers can make the transition to number 3. In an All-time team with so many great options, i dont think you need to be manufacturing positions TBH.

archie mac

International Coach
Well there could be exception to the rule. I just don't agree with for the ENG ATXI, all three of Hutton, Hobbs, Sutcliffe starting.
Interesting when both Miller and Hutton were asked to pick their all time English and Aust.XI, that is just what Hutton did drop himself down the order and open with the other two:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting when both Miller and Hutton were asked to pick their all time English and Aust.XI, that is just what Hutton did drop himself down the order and open with the other two:)
Yes i've seen that. But i guess its just my personal preference. I sort of worry about Sutcliffe in hypotetical match-ups againts the 90mph bowlers, given he never faced much of those bowlers in his time.

I dont know if you ever managed to checked, but in Yorkshire vs Nottinghamshire during the 20s & 30. Sutcliffe wasn't too successful againts Larwood.

archie mac

International Coach
Yes i've seen that. But i guess its just my personal preference. I sort of worry about Sutcliffe in hypotetical match-ups againts the 90mph bowlers, given he never faced much of those bowlers in his time.

I dont know if you ever managed to checked, but in Yorkshire vs Nottinghamshire during the 20s & 30. Sutcliffe wasn't too successful againts Larwood.
I have not checked that:)

I do know that Sutcliffe had one of the best hook shots in the game, a young tear away Bill Bowes was reduced to tears and thought his chances of playing for Yorkshire over, after Sutcliffe hooked him repeatedly off his eye line in a intra Yorkshire match

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well not all openers can make the transition to number 3. In an All-time team with so many great options, i dont think you need to be manufacturing positions TBH.
Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe are 3 of the greatest, if not the 3 greatest batsmen that England have produced. Leaving any of them out of an all time lineup in my opinion is utter madness.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe are 3 of the greatest, if not the 3 greatest batsmen that England have produced. Leaving any of them out of an all time lineup in my opinion is utter madness.
Ha..camn down. Firslty see Sutcliffe could be greater than Hammond & Compton. Secondly you only can pick 2 openers. Theirfore given the strenght of options an ENG ATXI would have in the middle order, there is no need to manufacturing positions - especially when Sutcliffe has some question marks IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I have not checked that:)

I do know that Sutcliffe had one of the best hook shots in the game, a young tear away Bill Bowes was reduced to tears and thought his chances of playing for Yorkshire over, after Sutcliffe hooked him repeatedly off his eye line in a intra Yorkshire match
The clips i have seen of Bowes i never got the impression he was much a tear away. The only other English quick i would say was really sharp other than Larwood was Ken Farnes.

Whenever you get the time, you should defiantely check those York v Notts matches in the 20s & 30s to see how Larwood got the better of him. Which is why for great batsmen like him in an era where quality 90mph where non-existant really, i worry about picking him to open in a ENG ATXI in hypotetical match-ups againts AUS, WI, SA, PAK & even NZ.

I would also always prefer Boycott & Gooch instead Sutcliffe, as back-up to my first choice opening pair of Hobbs/Hutton.