• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time XI: England

tooextracool

International Coach
If they wanted someone from the last 20 years, should have gone for Stewart IMO. Criminally underrated when it comes to his keeping

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pietersen IMO will justify being in this side, but towards the end of his career, not now. I think they were trying to save blushes from not having having someone for the last 20 plus years.

Would have Compton for Pietersen, Statham for Larwood, and Laker for Underwood.
Word. But i dont see why that is problem. When England where the best team in the world during the 50s, the players of that era where some of the best ever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Please not another thread about Alec Stewart and where he sits as a keeper-batsman!

MC_Balaji

Cricket Spectator
KP doesn't really deserve to be in there, maybe in a few years to come but I don't know why he was selected over the likes of Jardine and Compton.. other than that the team looks good.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Everyone always gets silly in the pants when it comes to Peitersen. Always have and always will for some reason. So it's hardly a surprised that they'd make such a stupid error.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonderful comment by Mike Selvey about Larwood's selection

He was the arguably the fastest bowler that England have ever had, and arguably the nastiest as well. But above all, he's somebody who still gets up the wick of the Australians more than 75 years after the event. And for that reason alone, he has to be in there, doesn't he?
Made me think of Burgey for some reason

JBH001

International Regular
That panel had him second to Knott, so clearly they think he is all-time class.
But they did have him behind Knott, and Botham at 6.

Returning to the thread, think its a pretty good side tbh - with the exception of Pietersen. Otherwise, its a fine selection, imo.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am the odd one out I am afraid. I would have plenty of changes in there.

1. Ranji for Barrington
2. Compton for KP
3. Rhodes or Verity for Underwood

The first two purely by caliber and the third because there is no slow bowler in this eleven, Underwood and Barnes are about the same pace. Rhodes or Verity would lend variety both because they are slow bowlers.

One is tempted to make other changes. There is no objection to Knott, a great keeper and a useful lower order batsman but Ames would not bring down the keeping standards but would bat above Botham. Somehow Botham at seven looks better than at six :)

Larwood, Trueman and Botham somehow lend a sameness to the attack. One is tempted to consider Bedser (or Tate) but that is less important with Barnes already in for that speed

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Larwood, Trueman and Botham somehow lend a sameness to the attack. One is tempted to consider Bedser (or Tate) but that is less important with Barnes already in for that speed
Would have Beefy down as a medium-fast swing bowler, rather than the searing pace of Messers Larwood & Trueman, so there's a bit of variety.