View Poll Results: Should England carry on persisting with Cook, despite his recent failures?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 61.90%
  • No

6 28.57%
  • Remember to keep the poll options short and to the point

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Alistair Cook have a place cemented in the England team?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'm under no illusions he's a world beater currently and he does have some very obvious flaws; the problem is who do we have who is potentially better (and available)?

One good thing about Trott coming in and doing so well (aside from the obvious) is that perhaps a few more county batsmen might get a go now. I suppose Key & Carberry are the two obvious candidates, but Moore & Denly might have advocates too. I honestly wouldn't put my mortgage on any of them doind better tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'm under no illusions he's a world beater currently and he does have some very obvious flaws; the problem is who do we have who is potentially better (and available)?

One good thing about Trott coming in and doing so well (aside from the obvious) is that perhaps a few more county batsmen might get a go now. I suppose Key & Carberry are the two obvious candidates, but Moore & Denly might have advocates too. I honestly wouldn't put my mortgage on any of them doind better tho.
    Indeed, i think only Carberry has a genuine case for selection. Key has an average CC record and whilst he might do better than Cook, he won't last very long and hes not likely to be part of Englands future plans.

Denly isnt good enough IMO and Moore's record this season is average. Cook is probably safe, but as I said I would have Carberry on his back so that he at least knows that he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his place in the side.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Indeed, i think only Carberry has a genuine case for selection. Key has an average CC record and whilst he might do better than Cook, he won't last very long and hes not likely to be part of Englands future plans.

Denly isnt good enough IMO and Moore's record this season is average. Cook is probably safe, but as I said I would have Carberry on his back so that he at least knows that he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his place in the side.
    Key's record over the last few years is pretty good isn't it? And what's Craberry's record lately? tbh I'm surprised to see how many people are suggesting him for the test side.
    Totally agree about Denly & Moore though.

State Vice-Captain
    I think Cook has a hell of a lot of potential, but as it stands I believe he should be dropped, his technique is getting more and more exposed each series up to the point where he seems to be getting out in the same way every innings, pushing at ball outside off without getting his front foot forward (he takes a half step and ends up pushing at the ball with his hands rather than whole body). He needs to have some time off to really work on this problem, and the fact that he doesn't seem to have done anything about it in 3 years in international cricket would prompt me to drop him to get the message accross, test out Moore until Cook sorts himself out. Also I too would probably drop him down to no.3 on return, I really don't think he and Strauss are an ideal opening pair, they're far too similar to bowl at, lets the opening bowlers get into a rhythm much more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Key's record over the last few years is pretty good isn't it? And what's Craberry's record lately? tbh I'm surprised to see how many people are suggesting him for the test side.
    Totally agree about Denly & Moore though.
    Key has had a mixed bag of results in the last few years. He's had a cycle of good season followed my mediocre one so in terms of consistency its hard to see how he can push for a place especially since his last full season (2008) was not a very good one (918 runs @ 38). Hes now scoring runs in Div 2 and he's not even really setting the world alight with that.

Carberry hasn't been doing that much better but he's been playing in div 1 and is averaging nearly 70 in the current season. He's done well for the Lions both in India and in NZ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Also I too would probably drop him down to no.3 on return, I really don't think he and Strauss are an ideal opening pair, they're far too similar to bowl at, lets the opening bowlers get into a rhythm much more easily.
    Yeah I agree with you on that, the Cook-Strauss partnership is something that I have myself stated similar reservations about in the past. Perhaps a return to 3 might do him good, but I guess the real issue is finding another opener to replace him with.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The funny thing about Cook and Strauss, though, is that they are apparently one of our most successful opening partnerships statistically.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Apparently Cook has made some technical modifications in recent weeks, so we can only hope the long-standing flaws might have been sorted.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah he was playing differently in the Pro40 game that I saw bits of.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The funny thing about Cook and Strauss, though, is that they are apparently one of our most successful opening partnerships statistically.
    Yeah. Teams haven't been using the new ball very effectively over the past couple of years though.

It's easy to forget how magnificent a prospect Cook is, 3,500 test runs and he's only 24. Sometimes I think he'd benefit from some time out of the team, but not right now. If the recent Essex one-dayers he's played are anything to go by he's completely altered his technique outside off-stump anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    If the recent Essex one-dayers he's played are anything to go by he's completely altered his technique outside off-stump anyway.

He had a good T20 Cup too, though, and by the time the Ashes rolled round it was same old straight-leg thrusting at the ball etc.

Not at all comparable really though. He batted well in the T20s but his technique hadn't changed.

Alastair Cook's a player I'm not yet quite ready to lose patience with. You wouldn't expect him to peak for another five or six years, and with an average of 42 he only needs to improve slightly to become a top-class player. There's a time to drop players and a time to stick with them, and I think Cooky's a man to stick with at the moment. Reminds me of where AB De Villiers was 18 months ago.

It's not like the English summer where you can tell him to go work on his batting with Essex for a while. In terms of his development there's nowhere he'll learn more about batting against fast bowling than in South Africa, on seaming decks against a top-class attack. Get him through this and you've got a seriously good opener.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 14-09-2009 at 05:12 AM.

I'd rather they gave him a season's rest and gave someone else a go. Apart from anything else, there are a lot of players who may well be international class (but in the Vaughan, Atherton, pre-retirement Trescothick etc type of making more runs at the top level than at county level). Moore, Denly and Carberry may all be in that mould - we know what Cooky's capable of, and he can be brought back if it turns out he is better than the others.

Not sure a tour of SA is the time for that process, though and in any case whilst the selectors are very keen to rotate their bowlers, batsmen seem borderline undroppable. And when they get dropped, they seem to get back in the side a couple of months later for no particular reason.

Denly's obviously not test-class. Was out of his depth against Ireland and averages 35.

Carberry and Moore are talented folk, but it would be horrid form to hand them their debut on the first game of a tour to South Africa and ask them to open the batting against Dale Steyn and Wayne Parnell on a greentop. When they inevitably failed, they'd be quickly dropped- think Bopara in Sri Lanka. Now is not the time.

I do agree with the general point regarding England's batsmen getting an easy ride while the bowlers get dropped for no reason at all (Onions at the Oval- wtf?). But there's a time to stick and a time to twist, and for me, this is a time to stick. Give him the tour to South Africa and review his position after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Give him the tour to South Africa and review his position after that.
    I think that's the right approach. But if he performs against SA like he did against Aus (1 score of note in the whole series, consistently getting out the same way due to the same technical flaws), then he has to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information