• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Century on Test debut for England

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Trott has become the 18th man to make a century in his first test for England.
Not always a sign of things to come as John Hampshire and Frank Hayes will testify.
Then you have the likes of Graham Gooch and Len Hutton who made one run between them in the four innings of their first test.

The most interestingly pointless piece of trivia about this is that although only 18 have achieved it in Test history, four of them are playing in the current match.

aussie tragic

International Captain
That is an extraordinary coincidence. A world record I would imagine.
I know Aussies have had 3 players before (Walters, G. Chappell and Cosier) as have West indies (Rowe, Kallicharan and Greenidge) but 4 would have to be the record I think.

stumpski

International Captain
What's equally surprising in view of that was that England went 20 years without anyone doing it (Hayes in 1973 to Thorpe in 1993) unless I've forgotten someone. Seems to be a much more common occurrence nowadays.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What's equally surprising in view of that was that England went 20 years without anyone doing it (Hayes in 1973 to Thorpe in 1993) unless I've forgotten someone. Seems to be a much more common occurrence nowadays.
I think you're right. David Lloyd (1974), Woolmer (1975), Robinson (1984) & Richards
(1986) were closest insofar as their hundreds came in their 2nd or 3rd games.