• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

James

Cricket Web Owner
Play the Twenty20 series on Cricket Web Fantasy Cricket

Forum Fans User Competition Code - 1257129701​

Play the ODI series on Cricket Web Fantasy Cricket

Forum Fans User Competition Code - 1257129710​

Fri Nov 6

South African Board President's XI v England XI

OUTsurance Oval, Bloemfontein

Sun Nov 8
South African Board President's XI v England XI
De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley

Tue Nov 10
South Africa A v England XI
OUTsurance Oval, Bloemfontein

Fri Nov 13
1st T20I - South Africa v England
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Sun Nov 15
2nd T20I - South Africa v England
SuperSport Park, Centurion

Tue Nov 17
South Africa A v England XI
Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Fri Nov 20
1st ODI - South Africa v England

Sun Nov 22
2nd ODI - South Africa v England

Fri Nov 27
3rd ODI - South Africa v England
Newlands, Cape Town

Sun Nov 29
4th ODI - South Africa v England
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

Fri Dec 4
5th ODI - South Africa v England
Kingsmead, Durban

Wed Dec 9 - Thu Dec 10
South African Airways Challenge XI v England XI
Buffalo Park, East London

Fri Dec 11 - Sat Dec 12
South African Airways Challenge XI v England XI
Buffalo Park, East London

Wed Dec 16 - Sun Dec 20
1st Test - South Africa v England

Sat Dec 26 - Wed Dec 30
2nd Test - South Africa v England
Kingsmead, Durban

Sun Jan 3 - Thu Jan 7
3rd Test - South Africa v England
Newlands, Cape Town

Thu Jan 14 - Mon Jan 18
4th Test - South Africa v England

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a 15-man squad:

1. Strauss
2. Prior
3. Ambrose
4. Cook
5. KP
6. Collingwood
7. Bell
8. Trott
9. Key
10. Swann
11. Braod
12. Harmo
13. Sidebottom
14. Anderson
15. Onions

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree with aussie although I wouldn't be too surprised of Bopara was picked in place of Key. If we take a second spinner then it will be Monty but purely as backup.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Agree with aussie although I wouldn't be too surprised of Bopara was picked in place of Key. If we take a second spinner then it will be Monty but purely as backup.
I think England will take Adil Rashid as a backup or the potential second spinner now that Flintoff will have retired.

Prior Rashid Broad Swann looks a handy 6 to 9.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a 15-man squad:

1. Strauss
2. Prior
3. Ambrose
4. Cook
5. KP
6. Collingwood
7. Bell
8. Trott
9. Key
10. Swann
11. Braod
12. Harmo
13. Sidebottom
14. Anderson
15. Onions
I'd certainly want 3 openers in the squad, so Key has to be there. Maybe Bopara too if we're playing 6 batsmen then the keeper.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think England will take Adil Rashid as a backup or the potential second spinner now that Flintoff will have retired.

Prior Rashid Broad Swann looks a handy 6 to 9.
Yeah, might do actually, though with Prior at 7, Broad at 8 and Swann at 9, I don't really think batting should come into it with any of the other bowlers.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Rumour has it that they've been keeping an eye on Steve Davis as the second keeper, though they might not want a reserve keeper who's obviously superior to the number 1.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with aussie although I wouldn't be too surprised of Bopara was picked in place of Key.
Well i picked Key as WPDavid said, i think we need a 3rd opener given Cook form, i really fear what Steyn is going do to him. Bopara should be battling with Bell & Trott for a spot, neither of the 3 give much confidence anyhow - such a predicament.

If we take a second spinner then it will be Monty but purely as backup.
If AUS tour to SA this year is anything to go by, ENG wont need a spinner in any test - all pace attack. So just pick Swann alone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reckon Harmison's gone which might be a spot for Bresnan and we definitely need new blood in the middle order; taking Bopara, Bell & Collingwood is borderline selectorial cowardice IMHO. As for who to replace...? Carberry looks in good nick and is scoring his runs in Div 1, so could be a darkhorse for our "problematic" #3 spot.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Harmison's gone which might be a spot for Bresnan and we definitely need new blood in the middle order; taking Bopara, Bell & Collingwood is borderline selectorial cowardice IMHO. As for who to replace...? Carberry looks in good nick and is scoring his runs in Div 1, so could be a darkhorse for our "problematic" #3 spot.
Carberry has had 3/4 of a decent season (now injured) and was poor last year. Not sure he's international standard. (But then who is? :laugh:)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see Rashid being left behind - bang in form - he seems to be turning the roses match into a one man show

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Carberry has had 3/4 of a decent season (now injured) and was poor last year. Not sure he's international standard. (But then who is? :laugh:)
Yeah, quite, not exactly shuffling a full deck, are we?

Carberry's been on "A" tours in the last coupla winters and only Tres has scored more runs in the top flight, so he's as good a shout as any I think. Top fielder too, not that that should matter unduly.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Anyone know if the Port Elizabeth test is still on? I know CSA and Gauteng were having a big handbag session over the way the IPL was handed and stripped the Wanderers of test status.. Wondered if they had got it back