• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Newlands and Paarl are dog wickets, suits Philander down to a tea as he moves the ball both ways and bowls stump-to-stump. I would be interested to see what he averages outside of the Cape. Though, he didn't disgrace himself at Middlesex with the ball.

Said it before but if he lost weight, learnt to catch, worked on the batting and cut the attitude (apparently he wasn't very popular in the national side), he would be a better option than McLaren.
So in other words.. if he became much, much better at cricket, he'd be a world class cricketer. :p

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS and TT Boy, thanks for filling me in. Never realised that was the system. Makes almost as much of a mockery of FC status as English university games.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
He looks lazy hence the dropped catches and weight problem.

I think I want Kemp back in the fold. At least you know he's going to average 30 with the bat and ball. I'd take that right now. The current crop of allrounders except Parnell look hopeless.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He looks lazy hence the dropped catches and weight problem.
Western Province/Cape Cobras could be held responsible for that. Their got a terrible record of producing and nurturing talent.

Case point is the guy who got KP's wicket today, Yaseen Vallie. Vallie was one of the best cricketers in Wayne Parnell's U19 side (alongside Rossouw, Vandiar) yet he has hardly played amateur cricket for WP let alone got near the franchise set-up.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think I want Kemp back in the fold. At least you know he's going to average 30 with the bat and ball. I'd take that right now. The current crop of allrounders except Parnell look hopeless.
I don't. Kempie isn't a better batsman than Albie and Albie is miles better as a bowler. Rather bring back Andrew Hall, South Africa need a bowling all-rounder.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I don't. Kempie isn't a better batsman than Albie and Albie is miles better as a bowler. Rather bring back Andrew Hall, South Africa need a bowling all-rounder.
Albie is potentially better but he's poor on the day. At least with Kemp, he's not going to go at 6 an over every single damn time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Albie is potentially better but he's poor on the day. At least with Kemp, he's not going to go at 6 an over every single damn time.
With Kempie he wasn't even bowling come the end, so at least Albie offers you some overs (albeit shockingly bowled).

Though, I see Kempie has started to turn his arm over again, must have got a second wind after being rejected a visa to play in England next year.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Widebottom going alright in the warm up. Would love it if he could get back to somewhere near the heights of 2007-08.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Expensive bowling aside from Sidey.

Also, just checked the scorecard, if we are going to pick Wright then surely we should have let him out there for a bit longer? Makes me think he won't be getting a go.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Wonder how much impact this game'll have on the team selection for the 1st Test. I think there's now every chance of Sidebottom playing, either in place of Onions (which would be harsh) or in place of a batsman. I'm pleased to see him taking wickets, but I'd rather see Onions and Bell in that starting XI. However, I can definitely see the selectors going for:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior +
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
Onions

I just hope they don't. I don't think the batting is anywhere near strong enough with Broad at 7, and although the bowling would be undoubtedly stronger with Sidey ahead of Bell, I'd much rather see us go in with the 6 proper batsmen. I don't particularly want to see another Headingley.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Too much bowling in that side. You don't need four genuine seamers when you have Collingwood and a spinner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sid & Jimmeh in the same team would be holding ourselves too much as hostages of fortune, IMHO. Both nursing or returning from injuries and both severally neutered if the ball refuses to swing.

Never say never with England's selectors, but I suspect Sid will only play if Jimmy A is broken.

My guess:

Strauss*
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Colly
Prior+
Wright
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

King Pietersen

International Captain
Too much bowling in that side. You don't need four genuine seamers when you have Collingwood and a spinner.
Totally agree, but the selectors didn't see it like that for the Headingley Test, our last one without Flintoff, so I'm just hoping they've learnt their lesson. I'm hoping that the 'all-rounder'; a term that should be used loosely when describing Luke Wright, is ignored as well. I just don't see how he's remotely good enough to play Test cricket, it's not like he's performed excellently in ODi cricket. A FC batting average of 32 and a bowling average of 42, if that's the level of cricketer we're picking for our Test side then I'm worried.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Anderson & Sidebottom have slight injury worries. It will be understandable if 5 bowlers are picked & Broad bats @ 7, although it still be make the balance crap. BUT LUKE WRIGHT MUST NOT PLAY!!!!!!