• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fancy this will be the South African test eleven...

Smith
Prince
Amla
Kallis
AB
JP
Bouch
Parnell
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

Ntini is on 99 tests, so sentiment dictates that he will be given the 100th but there is a plethora of seamers knocking around at the moment, who will be pushing for selection. Morne, Tsotsobe of course but then there is Morne clone, CJ de Villiers, speedster, Craig Alexander and even Charl Langeveldt, Ryan McLaren and Friedel de Wet, have a chance if they begin the season well.

Briony

International Debutant
England will be starting to feel a bit confident about this tour now. They've matched it with Australia who crushed SA on their own soil. Every series is different but SA seem to be slow starters at home and Broad is shown improvement and Trott is now adding depth to the middle-order - much needed depth. They have KP to return.

SA's attack is a bit unsettled with Albertus playing the last test, Morne out of favour, Ntini looking a bit of a pie chucker these days but seemingly in favour with selectors. Parnell might be useful IF it swings. These two teams usually play close series and England knows it won the last one there.

SA seems to rest on its laurels a bit when playing at home by resting players when the opposition is usually playing warmup games. It proved costly against the Aussies.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see Rashid being left behind - bang in form - he seems to be turning the roses match into a one man show
Yes, Rashid has really cemented his place with this run of form, I think, especially when England will be thinking of a new potential all-rounder, with Freddies demise.

I'd think they'd go

Strauss
Cook
Colly
Bell
Key
KP
Trott
Prior
Ambrose
Broad
Anderson
Onions
Swann
Rashid
Harmison

I'd go:

Strauss
Cook
Carberry
Joyce
Hildreth
KP
Trott
Prior
Foster
Broad
Anderson
Onions
Swann
Rashid
Sidebottom

Sick to death of the spinelessness of our batting. Want lots of changes, disaster waiting to happen IMHO. Dale Steyn will murder us. Hildreth only scores on roads, but at least he scores, and I really fell we need fresh faces.

Harmi may be an "hit the deck" bowler and we may lack them, but he is also (over the last few years), an incredibly crap bowler. So can we just say Bye-ee at last please.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England will be starting to feel a bit confident about this tour now. They've matched it with Australia who crushed SA on their own soil. Every series is different but SA seem to be slow starters at home and Broad is shown improvement and Trott is now adding depth to the middle-order - much needed depth. They have KP to return.

SA's attack is a bit unsettled with Albertus playing the last test, Morne out of favour, Ntini looking a bit of a pie chucker these days but seemingly in favour with selectors. Parnell might be useful IF it swings. These two teams usually play close series and England knows it won the last one there.

SA seems to rest on its laurels a bit when playing at home by resting players when the opposition is usually playing warmup games. It proved costly against the Aussies.
All I needed, will lump on South Africa now.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Have a feeling Luke Wright might be a bit of a 'wildcard' pick. Has been in pretty good form with the bat over the last few months and his bowling seems to have come on a bit.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Trott will get any stick from the South African crowds or players. He use to open with Graeme Smith for RSA U19's, good friends with Smith (celebrated with him and the South African team after the test victory in Birmingham last year) and he doesn't like KP, so that will adhere him to many.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harmi may be an "hit the deck" bowler and we may lack them, but he is also (over the last few years), an incredibly crap bowler. So can we just say Bye-ee at last please.
Indeed, we need to break the abuse cycle. Treats us like crap in tests, we threaten divorce & kick him out, he's promises he's changed with lots of wickets in the CC so we allow him back for one last chance repeat ad nauseam.

Bit left field, but maybe Kirby for a "bang it in" bowler? Was in the Loins team & has 47 wickets at under 20.5 apiece this year.

Briony

International Debutant
Don't think Trott will get any stick from the South African crowds or players. He use to open with Graeme Smith for RSA U19's, good friends with Smith (celebrated with him and the South African team after the test victory in Birmingham last year) and he doesn't like KP, so that will adhere him to many.
Or perhaps even endear?

But surely some saffers will see him as a traitor.

Briony

International Debutant
Adhere, give support?

Endear denotes being beloved, that isn't going to happen.
In your context though it sounded like you were suggesting ways in which he was more likely to be in favour with the crowds, hence endear. His good application might adhere him to the crease though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In your context though it sounded like you were suggesting ways in which he was more likely to be in favour with the crowds, hence endear. His good application might adhere him to the crease though.
Think you are right. :)

Briony

International Debutant
I notice that Ryan McLaren is now available for SA selection after relinquishing the last year of his Kent contract. I heard they were also trying to entice Kieswetter back to SA but I doubt that will happen.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt it. Kieswetter qualifies for England next year and last year during the tour game between South Africa and Somerset, he said he wanted to show South Africa what they are missing.