• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Prior still in the ODI side ffs, at least Trott has finally been picked

Wright in the test squad? GAGFC, if he gets a game it will be as bad as Rikki Clarke playing

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, so Luke Wright it is, then

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Trott
Prior
Wright
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

??
Yeah, I guess. It wouldn't really surprise me if Broad batted seven and Plunkett or Sidebottom slotted in though.

I can't really fathom how Wright is deemed better than Bresnan.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Headline after England take unassailable two nil lead after victory in the fourth test:-

"Luke Wright is new Andrew Flintoff"

Can't see it myself but you never know

I wonder what Mr Z thinks?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the look of the squad. Particularly, I'm pleased to see the return of Plunkett and Mahmood. I think this is a good time, off the back of their impressive seasons, to see what they've learnt since last time. There's no point taking Harmison if he's not a certain starter.

Also, although I think we're a batsman light (have we not learnt from the Australia tour to SA?) I don't think Luke Wright is a bad call. He seems to have something about him mentally, and he has performed pretty well this summer. Sure, he's no Shane Watson, but he could conceivably do a decent job for us at 6/7 with some bowling thrown in.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Yeah, so Luke Wright it is, then

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Trott
Prior
Wright
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

??
So no Colly for you, then?

My Test XI from the squad: Strauss, Cook, KP, Trott, Colly, Prior, Rashid / Wright (depending on conditions), Broad, Swann, Onions, Anderson

Although if there was any way of engineering Cook being left out, I'd be all in favour.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That wasn't the team I would pick but rather what I think we'll go with.

I'm the world's biggest Stuart Broad fan (except for Burgey perhaps) but I don't want him at 7. Therefore I would pick this side:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
We would never see that headline anyway..."It's all Wright" or "Wright on Time" or "Luke puts England Wright In the Driving seat, or more likely "England in Turmoil: Somethings Not Quite Wright"

analyst

U19 12th Man
Replacing Owais with Cook has got to be easily one of the stupidest selection decisions ever made....
:laugh:
Good to see that England selectors can be just as clueless as WIndies selectors.
:)
Cook and Denly opening with Strauss at one drop with Pietersen and Trott to follow gives me belief that these selectors are not completely stupid.

analyst

U19 12th Man
Shah also finding new ways of dismissing himself every innings when he has played himself in doesn't help his teammates.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shah was a complete waste of time, getting rid of him was one of the best thing the selectors have done in ages. Unfortunately they still have ****ing useless ODI batsman Prior as the sole keeper in the ODI squad. Soft boy Bell shouldn't be anywhere near a Test squad, ever. He's okay in the ODI squad though (which of course is why the selectors have it the other way around, same story with Denly.)

shivfan

Banned
Really? No England batsman has scored more than Shah in a single innings in the CT (98). After Colly, Shah was the most prolific run-accumulator in the CT for England.

Now, compare that with Denly, who, in contrast, had a very consistent string of scores!
:laugh:
One-day cricket is all about form, and as the CT showed, Shah is on form with the bat in one-day cricket.

Also, let's look at conditions....

Where was the CT played? Oh yes, South Africa.
:cool: