• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2009/10

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Eagles have announced squad for champs league.

The Diamond Eagles confirmed their team that will compete in the Airtel Champions League in India. The coach Sarel Cilliers surprisingly decided to name only one acknowledge spin bowler in his squad, Thandi Tshabalala. Tshabalala is one of the best bowlers in the short history of domestic Twenty/20-cricket in South Africa. Dean Elgar can also be used as a slow bowler in India.

Cilliers also included seamer CJ de Villiers. The seamer will start bowling in the nets again on 14 September after suffering a injury. Charl Pietersen and Con de Lange is on standby if De Villiers won't be ready to make the trip to India.

The team:

Boeta Dippenaar (captain), Morne van Wyk, Dean Elgar, Rilee Rossouw, Reeza Hendricks, Ryan McLaren, Alan Kruger, Dillon du Preez, Victor Mpitsang, Jandre Coetzee, Thandi Tshabalala, CJ de Villiers, Shadley van Schalkwyk.

I'm sure they are missing 2 players there though??? Probably Bailey and AMcL or because its a short tournament it is only 13 players.

The players to miss out: Ryan Bailey, Adrain McLaren,Con De Lange, Charl Pietersen, Wendell Bossenger,Obus Pienaar
15 will go. Bailey will probably be in the playing eleven, as he bats and bowls.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah 15 is the norm. I got the squad from their official site.

Ryan Bailey is a must but his bowling will be a lot of filth on Indian pitches unless he decides to roll his fingers down the ball ala Collingwood. Also went to the same school as him so watched him a lot and surely he has to be there because he is a regular in the team.

I'm not really into T20's especially IPL. But tournaments like these look more tastey to me. A Victorian will represent Victoria or a Captonian will represent Cobras. Also will be invaluable experience for Rossouw and Elgar. 2 up and coming talents for SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Six centuries was scored in the three day warm-up match between the Free State and Griqualand West at the Central University of Technology.

Free State opening batsmen, Dean Elgar, didn't manage to score a ton, but he weighed in with two half centuries 74 and 93. Con de Lange and Elgar shared an 132 run partnership over the second wicket on the last day. De Lange scored a unbeaten 92 runs from a mere 100 balls. Dillon du Preez (40) and Obus Pienaar (23*) also scored some runs on the last day.

Summarised scorecard:

Griekwas first innings 431/6 decl. (Alan Kruger 140, Wendell Bossenger 110, Reeza Hendricks 100; Obus Pienaar 2/53, Thandi Tshabalala 2/78); Vrystaat first innings 416/5 decl. (Rilee Rossouw 103, Divan van Wyk 101, Dean Elgar 74, Ryan Bailey 50*, Morné van Wyk 49); Griekwas second innings 317/5 decl. (R. Hendricks 90, Gihan Cloete 122, Adrian McLaren 47); Vrystaat second innings 286/4 (D. Elgar 93, Con de Lange 92*, Dillon du Preez 40).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Eagles will have a plethora of seamers available to them this season. Ryan McLaren, van der Wath, du Preez, Mpitsang, Coetzee, Pienaar, Charl Pietersen and CJ de Villiers.

Be hard for the new coach to keep everyone happy. Should be clear favourites going into the Cobras game next week.

SeamUp

International Coach
Definitely got a point there TT. The Eagles base their game on their pace attack. The old Bloemfontein pitch used to be a road but now its a bit spicy and viperish in 4-day cricket. Thats why they win more games and win the SuperSport series while the other sides draw.

My Eagles side

Reeza Hendricks
Dean Elgar
Rilee Rossouw
Boeta Dippenaar
Ryan Bailey
Morne Van Wyk
Ryan McLaren
Johan Van der Wath
Dillon Du Preez
Thandi Tshabalala
Victor Mpitsang

CJ and Obus and De Lange are the unlucky ones.

SeamUp

International Coach
I saw our official season opener yesterday.

The combined schools XI against all-stars XI (a 20-20 match) which included Cullinan, McKenzie, Vd Merwe, Parny, Tsotsobe and Makhy.

The 2 best school boy talents in SA were playing in Thomas Kaber and Devon Conway.

I can see why Kaber has been playing SA U19 at 16. He had so much variation but I was not sure if was a chinaman or finger spinner because his arm action was so quick. He started with a flighted away spinner to McKenzie and beat him and the very next ball went the other way and nearly trapped him LBW. Bowled 4 over for 16 runs.

The ex-UCB president, Ray White, wrote in an article in the Witness about the best batting school boy talent he had seen since Jacques Kallis and its Devon Conway who captained the side. He didn't top score for the school boys but you can see the obviuos class he had.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Warriors play New Zealand and Pakistan next week in Champions Trophy warm-ups away in Gauteng. South Africa play the West Indies 5XI on Friday...

Eagles squad for Thursday's first SuperSport game with the Cobras...

Divan van Wyk, Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Adrian McLaren, Ryan Bailey, Morné van Wyk, Con de Lange, Obus Pienaar, Dillon du Preez, Thandi Tshabalala, Victor Mpitsang, Charl Pietersen.

CJ de Villiers and Ryan McLaren are injured. Whereas Human and van der Wath have county commitments to fulfil.

Cobras likely side...

Andrew Puttick, Alastair Gray, Stiaan van Zyl, Henry Davids, Justin Ontong, Richard Levi, Ryan Canning, Vernon Philander, Rory Kleinveldt, Monde Zondeki, Mario Olivier

Justin Kemp is still with Kent, Claude Henderson with Leicestershire and Charl Langeveldt is injured.

SeamUp

International Coach
Probably A.McLaren will miss out and 1 of Pienaar, DeLange and C. Pitersen will miss out for the Eagles.

The Cobras side looks a bit short for me and theres no spinner due to Robbie P missing for SA commitments. I thought Claude Henderson didn't get a contract?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
IOL preview...

Players like Prince, who is exclusively a Test player these days, could get up to six matches under their belts before the first Test against England that starts on December 16.

"From a personal point of view, the SuperSport Series is an essential part of my preparation for the Test series against England," Prince remarked this week.

"Although it is a four-day competition, I want to use it to remind the selectors of my one-day skills as well.

"I will open the batting because that is what the national team want from me and that is fine because I am always up for a challenge and I enjoy it."

Titans

Squad: Farhaan Behardien, Gulam Bodi, Jaco Booysen, Francois du Plessis, Pierre Joubert(captain), Heino Kuhn, Pieter Malan, Ethy Mbhalati, Jacques Rudolph, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Basheer Walters, David Wiese, Matthew Arnold, Mangaliso Mosehle

CSA contracted players

AB de Villiers, Paul Harris, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn

Prospects for this season: Again a contender, especially if they can coax some good early season form out of their internationals. Chris van Noordwyk takes up the coaching reigns from Richard Pybus and will be hoping to maintain and possibly enhance the standards created by his predecessor.

Key Player: Pierre Joubert. Most underrated professional, but has led his side to trophy success in all three domestic competitions in the last three years.

Eagles

Squad: Boeta Dippenaar (captain), Morne van Wyk, Rilee Rossouw, Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Ryan Bailey, Alan Kruger, Con de Lange, Adrian McLaren, Ryan McLaren, Johan van der Wath, Dillon du Preez, CJ de Villiers, Victor Mpitsang, Thandi Tshabalala, Jandre Coetzee, Charl Peterson, Divan van Wyk

Prospects for this season: With the possible exception of Ryan McLaren and Rossouw, they shouldn't be too hampered by national call-ups which means they keep their squad together and that kind of consistency usually breeds success. Like last season, will be in the mix again and are probably slight favourites for the title.

Key Player: Rossouw. He had a remarkably consistent run with the bat last summer, finishing in the top six leading run-scorers with an average of 40.26, while also making three hundreds and four half-centuries. Probably the standout feature of his performances were the number of times he scored runs when the rest of the team struggled to do so.

Warriors

Squad: Andrew Birch, Nicky Boje, Darryl Brown, Corbyn Dolley, Colin Ingram, Arno Jacobs, Davy Jacobs (captain), Riaan Jeggels, Justin Kreusch, Garnett Kruger, Lyall Meyer, Sinethemba Mjekula, Siya Ntshona, Michael Smith, Jon Jon Smuts, Juan Theron, Craig Thyssen, Reece Williams

CSA Contracted players

Johan Botha, Mark Boucher, Jacques Kallis, Makhaya Ntini, Wayne Parnell, Ashwell Prince, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

Prospects for this season: The Manchester City of domestic cricket, they've brought in Kruger and Boj? to add experience and bite to a squad that in recent years has been agonisingly close to winning a trophy. Parnell, Prince and Botha, who will be available for most of the competition will be crucial, while they'll hope the other national stars - Kallis, Boucher and Ntini - will have a significant impact in the initial stages of the competition. Will be serious challengers this year.

Key Player: Arno Jacobs. Their second leading run-scorer last season, and probably the most consistent batsmen in domestic cricket in the last few years. An elegant left-hander, who must count himself unlucky not to be a part of the national squad, but given the kind of talent currently floating around in the middle order it is a helluva difficult area to break into just now.

Highveld Lions

Squad: Neil McKenzie (captain), Alviro Petersen, Craig Alexander, Werner Coetsee, Stephen Cook, Cliffie Deacon, Zander De Bruyn, Friedel De Wet, Etienne Gerber, Robbie Frylinck, Ugasen Govender, Heinrich Le Roux, Andre Nel, Ethan O'Reilly, Aaron Phangiso, Jean Symes, Thami Tsolikele, Jonathan Vandiar, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Dane Vilas

Prospects for this season: Were on an upward curve last season, and that must continue this summer. Dave Nosworthy has worked them hard in the off-season, and hopefully it will pay off for a franchise unnecessarily placed under the microscope when the dramas regarding the Wanderers hosting international matches surfaced a few weeks ago. De Bruyn, Tsolekile, Nel and Petersen will be vital in lending a hand to McKenzie in the leadership stakes, though given the strength of some of the other sides another mid-table finish looks likely.

Key Player: Neil McKenzie. Deemed surplus to requirements by the national selectors after the second Test against the Australians last summer, he may find it difficult to get a look-in soon. That means he can switch his focus to getting the Lions a first major trophy in three seasons and their first SuperSport Series since the advent of the franchise system. An intelligent leader, who must get the best out of the youngsters if the Lions are to be fierce challengers.

Dolphins

Squad: Imraan Khan, Ahmed Amla, Quinton Friend, Jon Kent, David Miller, Saidi Mlongo, Alfonso Thomas, Bradley Barnes, Martin Bekker, HD Ackerman, Daryn Smit, Johann Louw, Loots Bosman, Pierre de Bruyn, Yusuf Abdulla

Key Player: Daryn Smit. Will he keep or bowl leg-spin? The national side view him as a candidate to replace Boucher, while the Dolphins will look at last season's stats and see that he was their leading wicket-taker with 22.

Cobras

Squad: Andrew Puttick, Alastair Grey, Stiaan Van Zyl, Henry Davids, Justin Ontong, Richard Levi, Ryan Canning, Vernon Philander, Rory Kleinveldt, Monde Zondeki, Mario Olivier, Francois Plaaitjies, Sybrand Engelbrecht, Charl Langeveldt, Robin Peterson, Justin Kemp, Gurshwin Rabie

CSA Contracted players

Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, JP Duminy

Prospects for this season: Run scoring was their biggest problem last season and with the exception of Puttick no one stood out with the bat. That's the major area that needs solving if they are to be serious contenders. The Champions League will prove a major distraction and they will struggle to get out of the bottom two.

Key Player: Justin Ontong. Lovely bloke, who has failed to fulfil his enormous talent. Desperate to win a SuperSport Series crown, and if he can turn 50s into 100s, something that he has infuriatingly failed to do on a consistent basis down the years, his team might have a slim chance.

News - Cricket: Watch the Warriors

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few targets set by Titans cricketers... Morne Morkel wants to be the leading wicket taker time in SuperSport time the England test series rolls around whilst Paul Harris wants to score a hundred (:mellow:).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably A.McLaren will miss out and 1 of Pienaar, DeLange and C. Pitersen will miss out for the Eagles.

The Cobras side looks a bit short for me and theres no spinner due to Robbie P missing for SA commitments. I thought Claude Henderson didn't get a contract?
Henderson is in the Cobras Champions League squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think thats because he is helping the Cobras out seeing Robbie P isn't allowed to play and that he contributed to the success.

But I don't think he got a contract to play for the 4-day stuff if memory serves me correctly.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
With England cracking down on Kolpaks, it's nice to see some talent back for SA. Should make it an even better competition.

Big season for Morne especially. I read an article that he's been hard at work sorting out his issues. Good to see David Weise, my favourite player in the SAA Provincial getting a contract. Also looking for a big season for Farhaan.

Eagles looks strong as always. Obus Pienaar could have a monster season and start pushing for ODI spot. Looks powerful with the bat and a handy left armer.

Warriors look good in bowling as always but they're lacking on the batting department. With De Bruyn going elsewhere and other players on international duty, the middle order (with the exception of Jacobs) looks incredibly fragile.

Lions could be the surprise package. With Neil McKenzie dropped from the national team and the prospect of Vandiar, could see them push for the title. The bowling looks a little weak with Andre Nel struggling recently but we'll have to see.

Cobras team isn't that good but the addition of Kemp and Peterson could see them doing better than I would think.

Not sure about the Dolphins. Imraan had a great season last year but I'm suspicious this year.

All in all, it makes me extremely excited.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
There's another article on iol on the future test stars in preview to the SSS starting.

It got me thinking about a side thats knocking on the door and this my 'A' side if you want to call it.

1. Imraan Khan/ Alviro Petersen
2. Dean Elgar
3. Rilee Rossouw
4. Jonathan Vandiar
5. Justin Ontong
6. Heino Kuhn (w-k)
7. Ryan McLaren
8. Wayne Parnell
9. CJ De Villiers
10. Imran Tahir
11. Lonwabo Tstosobe

unlucky ones are Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Andrew Puttick and Rusty Theron.

kingkallis

International Coach
Mickey Arthur recently said that they have an eye for Smit and Kuhn for Bouch's spot once he retires....

SeamUp

International Coach
Two varying types of keepers as they bring different skills to the side.

Kuhn

• Good 4-day batsman
  • Solid technique
  • Glove-work is improving (keeps to Vd Merwe, Harris and Tahir)
  • Chosen ahead of Smit in Emerging final
  • He will provide the right balance once Kallis and Bouch retires

Smit

• Solid one-day batsman with regards to hitting 6's at the death (reverse sweeps)
  • Best gloveman in the country with Bouch (stands up to 135k and gets stumpings)
  • Offers leggies
  • Played SA U19's with AB and JP
  • Always scores runs when the chips are down like Boucher

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
There's another article on iol on the future test stars in preview to the SSS starting.

It got me thinking about a side thats knocking on the door and this my 'A' side if you want to call it.

1. Imraan Khan/ Alviro Petersen
2. Dean Elgar
3. Rilee Rossouw
4. Jonathan Vandiar
5. Justin Ontong
6. Heino Kuhn (w-k)
7. Ryan McLaren
8. Wayne Parnell
9. CJ De Villiers
10. Imran Tahir
11. Lonwabo Tstosobe

unlucky ones are Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Andrew Puttick and Rusty Theron.
Puttick has missed the boat. Would have been playing as a Kolpak this year for Somerset if not for visa/work permit complications. Ontong similarly I think has been passed over. Cobras need to get Levi into their top five, wasted at six or seven.

Personally, Parnell plays the Champions Trophy but then I would consider withdrawing him from the following ODI/20/20 series with England. If South Africa are going to go with him at eight in the test matches, he would be better suited to get some first class games under his belt for the Warriors and not expose himself completely to England. Give McLaren a go instead and I would additionally look to give Ntini and Lonwabo as much first class game exposure as they can get prior to the first test. South Africa can't afford to have those guys undercooked, especially Ntini, who would carry drinks if he was apart of the limited overs set-up. And Langeveldt should be back by then anyhow.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Two varying types of keepers as they bring different skills to the side.

Kuhn

• Good 4-day batsman
  • Solid technique
  • Glove-work is improving (keeps to Vd Merwe, Harris and Tahir)
  • Chosen ahead of Smit in Emerging final
  • He will provide the right balance once Kallis and Bouch retires

Smit

• Solid one-day batsman with regards to hitting 6's at the death (reverse sweeps)
  • Best gloveman in the country with Bouch (stands up to 135k and gets stumpings)
  • Offers leggies
  • Played SA U19's with AB and JP
  • Always scores runs when the chips are down like Boucher
Smit is an innovative batsman but not an international top seven batsman.

Kuhn is an interesting one as the Titans have given Moshele a rookie contract and word is this kid is fantastic behind the stumps and a hugely destructive batsman. Kuhn's keeping has improved but he is good enough to bat top four without the keeping responsibility. Martin van Jaarsveld is now finished with the Titans so there is a plum position now open to him. Let Rudolph and Malan open.

SeamUp

International Coach
Puttick has missed the boat. Would have been playing as a Kolpak this year for Somerset if not for visa/work permit complications. Ontong similarly I think has been passed over. Cobras need to get Levi into their top five, wasted at six or seven.

Personally, Parnell plays the Champions Trophy but then I would consider withdrawing him from the following ODI/20/20 series with England. If South Africa are going to go with him at eight in the test matches, he would be better suited to get some first class games under his belt for the Warriors and not expose himself completely to England. Give McLaren a go instead and I would additionally look to give Ntini and Lonwabo as much first class game exposure as they can get prior to the first test. South Africa can't afford to have those guys undercooked, especially Ntini, who would carry drinks if he was apart of the limited overs set-up. And Langeveldt should be back by then anyhow.
I agree 100%...Virus is also 29 and not really interational class. That is why its Elgar, Khan, Rossouw and Vandiar who should be fighting it out. I'm not a fan of Khan because he has played 6 FC seasons and last season was his first successful one and have seen him bat.

Parnell will play the ODI's and shouldn't be in the test squad initially. To me it would be McLaren or Morne for number 8 and Tsotsobe 13th man. Lopsy has a good action and should be fine.

I still think Ntini will get bags of wickets in the test series though. He loves nothing more than bowling on our pitches.

SeamUp

International Coach
Smit is an innovative batsman but not an international top seven batsman.

Kuhn is an interesting one as the Titans have given Moshele a rookie contract and word is this kid is fantastic behind the stumps and a hugely destructive batsman. Kuhn's keeping has improved but he is good enough to bat top four without the keeping responsibility. Martin van Jaarsveld is now finished with the Titans so there is a plum position now open to him. Let Rudolph and Malan open.
Moshele is over-hyped. In the game the other day he was awful behind the stumps and when he batted looked like a real clown to be perfectly honest.

I agree Malan must replace Snijman and open with Rudolph but Kuhn must keep the gloves and bat 6.