• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2009/10

SeamUp

International Coach
Rossouw and Vandiar have been hyped and correctly so because both are stroke makers and can play both forms of the game.

But the amount of hype and press Dave Miller is getting is amazing and also rightly so.

Definitely a Lance Klusener in the making!

murfmak

Cricket Spectator
Hi Guys

Just joined your forum and you seem clued up on the SA cricket scene.
My local cricket club has justed signed Pieter Malan as Professional for the 2010 season in The Central Lancashire Cricket League.
We have had a few South African Pro's in the past including Hansie Cronje.
Last Season we had Jean Symes who had a great season with us breaking the league batting record.
Would be interested on your thoughts on Pieter especially on his bowling potential. Seems to be having an OK season so far with his batting but noticed he is not bowling at all.
I would really appreciate your thoughts and I would be happy to keep you updated on his progress over here in the summer.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Guys

Just joined your forum and you seem clued up on the SA cricket scene.
My local cricket club has justed signed Pieter Malan as Professional for the 2010 season in The Central Lancashire Cricket League.
We have had a few South African Pro's in the past including Hansie Cronje.
Last Season we had Jean Symes who had a great season with us breaking the league batting record.
Would be interested on your thoughts on Pieter especially on his bowling potential. Seems to be having an OK season so far with his batting but noticed he is not bowling at all.
I would really appreciate your thoughts and I would be happy to keep you updated on his progress over here in the summer.
Do you know of any other Saffies that have played in Cenral Lanc League over the past few seasons? Id be interested to hear who they may have been.

murfmak

Cricket Spectator
Not too many over the recent years, the most notable have been Dave Callaghan at Rochdale who was a fantastic cricketer before and after his illness.
Brandon Nash was another that played for a couple of clubs in the League and always did well.
Van der Merwe was due to play at Werneth last year but his performances in the 20/20 games and visa difficulties meant he never made it.
Jimmy Cook was a legend in league Cricket in these parts and he played for Stockport when they were in the CLL.
I can remember Steve Jefferies making a few deputy appearances.
I know from my recent tour for the ODIs in SA the group I went with had a guy connected with the North Staffordshire League where Morne Morkel made a big impact last year.
In the more distant past Basil D'olivera played for Middleton for few years in the early 60's and Cec Abraham was a good pro for Radcliffe.
His sons went on to be good league players and John of course went on to Captain Lancashire.
There have been a few in the Lancashire league with Martin van Jarsveld standing out.
If there is anybody you have a particular interest in then let me know and I will find out through my contacts.

murfmak

Cricket Spectator
Found a few more recent ones:

J. Coetzee Walsden
Russel Symcox Werneth
A. Jacobs Middleton
M Charlton Oldham

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Looking at the EP Under-19's, things look really promising. There's a bunch of allrounders following the footsteps of Parnell.

1. Ntshona - Allrounder who opens the bowling.
2. White - Really excited to see this guy. Looks like a genuine allrounder. Bats 3 and bowls first change. Only played two games for U19 World Cup and averaged 140 odd in the end.
3. Vaaltyn - Mentioned before by SeamUp. Opens the batting for EP.
4. Colin Ackerman - Scoring a bunch of runs.
5. Matthew Kennedy - Takes a bunch of wickets.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Looking at the EP Under-19's, things look really promising. There's a bunch of allrounders following the footsteps of Parnell.

1. Ntshona - Allrounder who opens the bowling.
2. White - Really excited to see this guy. Looks like a genuine allrounder. Bats 3 and bowls first change. Only played two games for U19 World Cup and averaged 140 odd in the end.
3. Vaaltyn - Mentioned before by SeamUp. Opens the batting for EP.
4. Colin Ackerman - Scoring a bunch of runs.
5. Matthew Kennedy - Takes a bunch of wickets.
They did well in the 3-day comp but players like White, Ackerman and Ntshona have finished school and aren't playing amateur cricket though and the really talented 18 year-olds should be.

Vaaltyn is in matric this year and is an exciting talent of note along with Calvin Savage. Vaaltyn's leggies are highly thought of and will probably make the SA schools again at the end of this year with Calvin Savage who looks a super talent as well. Tall and lanky fast bowler from Maritzburg College. Both will be the kingpins of the SA U19 side this year.

Both Dave Miller who is in the Dolphins team and Savage are College boys. Same school as Jonty and KP.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Liked the 30-man squad chosen for the T20 squad. I like the names of 4 new players on that list...Ingram, Miller, Kemp and Theron.

Ingram captained SA schools in 03/04 and showed early promise. Things have come hard for him though but really has been impressive in both the MTN40 and Pro20 being the leading run-scorer in both comps. He has a good head on him and a good technique so I'm sure 4-day performances will come as well.

Miller is just an outrageous timer of the cricket ball and at 20 could be a real star of the future. He effortlessly strikes sixes and this has been a break through season for him. He has all the shots in the book but as a young stroke-maker from Durban in can be difficult to get the scores on a domestic Durban track but he has stood out this season. Excellent fieldsman of the Jonty, Gibbs and AB variety.

Theron is just the ever consistent and a call-up is edging closer with a national contract being given to him.

Kempy could just sneak in ahead of Albie. Kemps had a good season and with Albie bowling off the radar since his injury there could be a re-call for Kemp.

Just on Vandiar and Rossouw. Guys I have watched them a lot this season and they have been pathetic. Both don't have techniques but more importantly they don't have a cricketing brain. All they want to do is attack bowling...they want to hit 6,6,4 and then go out in stead of a Ingram/Miller/Elgar who will get a 6 or 4 and make sure they get a single next ball if its not a bad bad ball.

Then Vandiars feet are stuck in the toilet and all he does is throw his hands at the ball. Doesn't even lean into a cricket shot like a Gibbs will do. Vandiar has been worked over this season and will only score runs against poor bowling because all you need to do is come around the wicket to him and tuck him up. Bowl him a bouncer and then a full pitched delivery and take your pick from a soft dismissal like caught cover or caught slip or bowled or LBW.