• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amol Muzumdar

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would anyone be able to reveal to me some general information about this player? Having heard about him a few years ago, I'm still surprised to this day that he was never selected for the Indian National Side. His FC and OD records both initially appear to be very good verging on exceptional. I know he has had the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid and Ganguly to contend with, but it staggers me that he was never once given a chance, esspecially when the likes of Kaif and Yuvraj were selected ahead of him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Would anyone be able to reveal to me some general information about this player? Having heard about him a few years ago, I'm still surprised to this day that he was never selected for the Indian National Side. His FC and OD records both initially appear to be very good verging on exceptional. I know he has had the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid and Ganguly to contend with, but it staggers me that he was never once given a chance, esspecially when the likes of Kaif and Yuvraj were selected ahead of him.
Amol was a very promising batsman (more for tests than ODI's due to his style of batting) who was at his peak at a time when there was no opening whatsoever in the Indian middle order. Amol is 35. So he is more a peer of Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman than of Yuvraj who is seven years younger.

By the time Yuvraj started getting chances (and he got them more in the shorter format) Amol was in his upper twenties. The only opening in the Indian side in those days was at the very top of the order where we tried many players before Sehwag and Gambhir became a settled pair.

There are other players in India who suffered similarly. A prime example is Pankaj Dharmani of Punjab. His batting record is one of the finest of those who never got to play for the country. Unfortunately these guys, though good, were not good enough to replace the fab four.

tooextracool

International Coach
Seem to remember Muzumdar being very big in the mid-late 90s (around when Tendulkar was in his prime) and he was expected by many in India to be the next big thing. I'm not really sure why he didn't ever make the side, I always had the impression that his FC career just suddenly tailed off when he was starting to be considered (obviously while Azhar, Ganguly, Tendulkar and Dravid made up the middle order this was almost impossible) but it seems like he was more or less a consistent player at the FC level.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Amol Muzumdar's FC Stats -

Code:
Season	 	Matches	Inns	Not Out	Runs	HS	Ave	100	50	Ct	St
[B]1993-94	(India)	3	4	1	494	260  	164.66 	2	2	1	 
1994-95	(India)	15	25	4	1068	220  	50.85 	2	9	18	 
1995-96	(India)	10	16	1	788	209  	52.53 	2	4	12	 
1996-97	(India)	12	16	2	942	214*	67.28 	4	2	16	 [/B]
1997-98	(India)	13	19	2	788	113  	46.35 	1	5	15	 
1998-99	(India)	4	7	2	242	74  	48.40 	0	3	4	 
1999-00	(India)	13	20	4	814	131  	50.87 	1	6	18	 
2000-01	(India)	7	11	0	305	81  	27.72 	0	2	13	 
2001-02	(India)	6	10	2	437	133  	54.62 	1	2	4	 
2002-03	(India)	7	10	0	173	37  	17.30 	0	0	6	 
[B]2003-04	(India)	9	12	1	643	146  	58.45 	2	4	3	 
2004-05	(India)	10	15	1	669	131  	47.78 	3	3	12	 
2005-06	(India)	8	12	2	672	123  	67.20 	2	4	8[/B]	 
2006-07	(India)	10	15	0	650	119  	43.33 	2	4	10	 
2007-08	(India)	8	13	3	514	187  	51.40 	1	3	5	 
008-09	(India)	9	14	1	359	113  	27.61 	1	2	4
Muzumdar was a bright young talent who had a very promising start to his career. He carried with him a lot of media hype and buzz early into his long career. He never went on to represent India though. What went wrong?

Some felt that he should have been given a chance in 1994-1996. He really had no chance once Dravid and Ganguly made their spectacular debuts. He never had a chance after that for a fair few years. Hell Laxman didn't get a chance in the middle order and had to try his luck as an opener.

It is not certain that he would have succeeded in those formative years but then who is sure at that stage any way. Isn't it how many of the young stars of India are given a chance. I mean Kambli had already faded out by the time he was 23-25. Look at Parthiv Patel. 1994-96 is the period Muzumdar really missed out on. He could have broken into the team when we were playing the likes of Manjrekar who was never going to fulfill his own promise but that's another story - I never rated Manjrekar very highly - great to watch from a technical view point but lack of attacking strokes which you need in your repertoire and a lack of imagination if you will.

Muzumdar's next chance was late in his career. Some thought that he could do a Hussey encore. Muzumdar had form going for him at was his last flicker before the dark end of the tunnel. In India, you get chances when you are wearing nappies in your teens. Any one above 27-28 is considered a has been sadly.

Should Muzumdar have been given a chance?

I don't think so. I didn't rate him from whatever I have watched of him. He lacks the spark you have in a special player whether it be a Dravid or a Laxman which makes them stand up against the rest. He is not solid enough though he is fluent in his stroke play.

If you really wonder still, just look at his FC average which is below 50. On Indian Flat Beds, that's criminal. I mean Abhijit Kale had a FC average of 57-58 but he never got a chance. There are a lot of players who average very highly in Indian Domestic FC cricket but are never given a look in. You have to break the doors down triple hundred after triple hundred, big score after big score if you want to get noticed in the masala that is a 30 team structure. VVS Laxman went through a turbulent time in his career but that didn't stop him from making a statement in FC cricket till the selectors had no choice but to pick him.

That's they key - you have to perform like hell, grab headlines with big scores till the selectors have no choice but to pick you. Tendulkar did it best with domestic FC centuries in his Irani, Ranji and Duleep Trophy debuts catching every one by a storm. Ganguly had to wait 4 years for his chance after 1992 and that was also just one test at Lord's. Kambli never got a look back into test cricket despite performing well in FC cricket for a while (Bevan would be the prime example of players never getting a second chance - Bevan was great in his FC cricket after he was dropped but the selectors never gave him a look in.) An average of 50 or just below that shows that you haven't been consistent enough for long enough to try and break open those doors for you.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Amol was a very promising batsman (more for tests than ODI's due to his style of batting) who was at his peak at a time when there was no opening whatsoever in the Indian middle order. Amol is 35. So he is more a peer of Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman than of Yuvraj who is seven years younger.
That's not true. Amol was having his golden run in 1994-1996 when there was an opening for a place in the team. He hardly performing greatly or has his peak when Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Azhar and Laxman (and even Azhar for sure) were making hay when the sun shone post 1996 except for a few years at the fag end of his career.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's not true. Amol was having his golden run in 1994-1996 when there was an opening for a place in the team. He hardly performing greatly or has his peak when Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Azhar and Laxman (and even Azhar for sure) were making hay when the sun shone post 1996 except for a few years at the fag end of his career.
In addition to what you already said, Amol was hyped for two more reasons :-

1. He went to same school and had the same coach as Tendulkar
2. He made a 260 score in dis debut.

The above two contributed to building the hype that he was the next Tendulkar etc.

kingkallis

International Coach
It seems Amol didnt fancy SRT much...or probably SRT disliked Amol! He was a classy act, his runs speaks for himself...

Muzumdar said he was "lucky" to have played with three generations of players in his 16-year career for Mumbai. "I've to thank a lot of people," Muzumdar said. "My first captain Ravi [Shastri] who believed in my ability. My first coach Karsan Ghavri and lot of other guys. The three generations of cricketers are Ravi, Salil Ankola, Sanjay Manjrekar, then my friends Sairaj [Bahutule], Sameer [Dighe], Abey [Kuruvilla], Wasim [Jaffer], Vinod [Kambli] and finally with youngsters like Rohit Sharma, Abhishek Nayar and Sahil Kukreja. I will also miss the dressing room."

He also said that no one in the Mumbai Cricket Association tried to reverse his decision. "Nobody. I spoke to Sachin and he was pretty okay with my decision," Muzumdar said.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So somehow Sachin Tendulkar comes into the picture in this as well, he has to be in the middle of every thing related to cricket in India good or bad, isn't it ?.

Why should Sachin be not okay with Amol decision, Jeez !!! And just because Amol didn't mention Sachin in his statement it has to be concluded that he didn't fancy much or that SRT didn't like him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The simple reason for Amol not mentioning Sachin is that Sachin has hardly played many games for Mumbai in the last decade - just four !

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Also shouldn't be forgotten, in perhaps a symbolic indicator of things to come, that Muzumdar sat through the marathon third wicket stand between Tendulkar and Kambli which at school (unbeaten 628 partnership IIRC) as the next man in to bat. Tendulkar made his Ranji debut shortly after; Muzumdar had to wait five or six years before his chance.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Also shouldn't be forgotten, in perhaps a symbolic indicator of things to come, that Muzumdar sat through the marathon third wicket stand between Tendulkar and Kambli which at school (unbeaten 628 partnership IIRC) as the next man in to bat. Tendulkar made his Ranji debut shortly after; Muzumdar had to wait five or six years before his chance.
I dont see how Muzumdar could be anything but thrilled to be picked to play for Bombay at nineteen. Not many people make their first class debut much younger than that. Sachin's debut at fifteen is not something many ,even if they played cricket together, would expect to follow,

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I dont see how Muzumdar could be anything but thrilled to be picked to play for Bombay at nineteen. Not many people make their first class debut much younger than that. Sachin's debut at fifteen is not something many ,even if they played cricket together, would expect to follow,
Oh no, not at all. I just find it quite symbolic that he never got a chance in that (relatively) meaningless match and was completely overshadowed by Tendulkar and Kambli, as he was for much of his career.