• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite difficult to have faith when your side is 5-0 down, chasing a score that's never been chased by England, in England before and in a player with an ODI top score of 60. I love Ravi, but he's not going to score a match winning hundred here. He's scoring too slowly, and he'll suddenly think he has to play a big shot, and smack it in the air to one of the outfielders.
Dunno, I'm feeling Bopara runs today.

BTW KP, like my sig?

EDIT: Soz.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
"England are sinking here. A complete contrast in the fielding performance between the teams today. Spit, or no spit, it works for Ponting. " :laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't be. Never thought he was going to contribute.
The new look England batting line up does look good on paper, it is a shame that it is such a disaster. I think Bopara can't have too many more opportunities stashed up his sleeve for the time being. Denly is young and I think can be stuck with but Shah needs to pull his finger out sooner rather than later or he might have to go in the long term too.

The bowling attack is a strategic disaster, itbt, although the exit of Rashid has helped this. Bresnan is not an ODI first change, and while he plays as such, England suffer massive damage by going for runs whilst not taking wickets in anywhere between 6 and 10 overs.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Manee. I like it. (Y)

No sweat guys, only 7.10 an over required, and with a gun lower order of Mascheranas, Swann and Bresnan to come we've got this game sewn up easy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He is just 23. He is bound to have flaws in his shot play, composure but the talent is there IMO. That's what I saw when I say he looks good. I am some one who believes in throwing the player into the deep end of the ocean if the selectors feel he is ready. You don't have to have great FC stats to be selected in the team. Denly was doing well in A tours. It is fair enough to give him a run. If he fails, that's a chance missed but at least the selectors tried.
The problem with this line of thinking is that for every Joe Denly that gets a shot despite having done nothing whatsoever to deserve it there's a Jonathan Trott that has been churning out copious amounts of List A runs for as long as anyone can remember but repeatedly gets snubbed.

There is a massive backing for the formulaic approach to selection on CW and I may be accused of being one such member, but it is good to see a respectable member backing visual talent at international level. It would be good to see more debate of the sort on CW, but it would appear that respected non-formulaic selection backers would be seriously outnumbered here.
I've no problem with selecting players who look the part (moreso in bowling though, in batting I like to see the figures). More specifically, I don't think players should have to score continuously for five straight seasons before getting a look in. Phil Hughes for example- a couple of seasons scoring plenty of runs, looks the part, no reason not to get him in the side.

But I don't know what the hell you've been watching if you think Joe Denly looks international class.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Statistically on paper it looks how it plays, mediocre. Only Morgan has a List A average over 35. Compare to other sides internationally and see where that rates?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Statistically on paper it looks how it plays, mediocre. Only Morgan has a List A average over 35. Compare to other sides internationally and see where that rates?
Morgan's is buffed by World Cup qualifiers for Ireland against prank-teams and the likes, too. Pretty sure he averages 34 or so for Middlesex in OD cricket.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Though 35 is a bit of a sneaky cut-off because it cuts out Shah (34.6), Bopara (33.9) and Denly (33).