• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
5-0 reminds me of something....:cool:
It does...but 7-0 will sound better. We need to include Brett Lee in game 6 to ensure that it happens. In any case, I am sure that 5-0 reflects what the Aussies will win by in the next Ashes battle.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
At least Denly / Morgan showed some promise tonight. But yeah you got the feeling Australia always have that extra gear to go into if they need it. I think its time to drop Prior and give Davies a go. Also i dunno why Trott isnt there or Patel.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm. Don't follow Englisg domestic LO stuff tbh so I wouldn't know who's banging the door down.
Jonathon Trott - Pietersen aside, just about the only England qualified cricketer who averages 40+ in List A.

Steven Davies - over the past 2 seasons has scored 1301 List A runs, average 52.04, SR 113. An opener who scores big runs, fast. Why select him when you can select Matt Prior, who might be hopeless at ODI batting, but he scored quick runs in Tests!

Ed Joyce - 925 List A runs this season @ 61, SR 84. Top scorer in the FP Trophy, 2nd top scorer in Pro40 Div 1, 3 tons in 18 innings. Why pick him when you can pick serial ODI failures like Shah, Prior and Collingwood?

Saj Mahmood (no laughing at the back) - 22 wickets in 14 List A games, ave 22, SR 29, econ 4.4.

There's 4. However, England's selectors seem to think ignoring those who are any good at the format, in favour of those in the Test side/on the fringes of the Test side (Shah, Onions) is a great idea.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jonathon Trott - Pietersen aside, just about the only England qualified cricketer who averages 40+ in List A.
Now that KP is out, he should definately be in the squad. But in a full-strenght XI not sure if i could pick him though.

Steven Davies - over the past 2 seasons has scored 1301 List A runs, average 52.04, SR 113. An opener who scores big runs, fast. Why select him when you can select Matt Prior, who might be hopeless at ODI batting, but he scored quick runs in Tests!.
I dont mind giving Davies ago ATS. But i'm sure if he is that "fast-scoring" opener that we are looking for TBH based on the little i've seen on sky. I honestly think Mustard scores quicker than him.

Prior is only batting @ 4 ATM because ENG have no choice since lets be fair, with KP we need somebody in the top who can score quickly.Unfortunately Prior aint good enough to bat in top 4 in ODIs. In a potential full stenght ENG ODI side, Prior should bat @ 7 & i reckon he do a good role as a finisher.

Ed Joyce - 925 List A runs this season @ 61, SR 84. Top scorer in the FP Trophy, 2nd top scorer in Pro40 Div 1, 3 tons in 18 innings. Why pick him when you can pick serial ODI failures like Shah, Prior and Collingwood?.
Wrong format for Joyce. Shah & Collingwood aren't ODI failures, having a bad series ATM (Shah) of course.

Saj Mahmood (no laughing at the back) - 22 wickets in 14 List A games, ave 22, SR 29, econ 4.4.
English OD domestic form is hardly a good guide historically to international ODI success. Mahmood should not be near the ODI team, he is our version of Sami.

England just have to accept without Flintoff our ODI attacks lacks wicket-takers in the country. No sense debating & looking for one.

There's 4. However, England's selectors seem to think ignoring those who are any good at the format, in favour of those in the Test side/on the fringes of the Test side (Shah, Onions) is a great idea.
This current problem always happens when KP & Freddie goes missing so the current series is no shock TBH. Eng depend on those two cats more than any other ODI team depend on any few players. Our ODI depth is poor.

My full stenght ODI team when KP & Freddie (if) returns would be:

Strauss
Denly
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Shah/Morgan
Prior
Mascarenhas
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Back-ups: Sidebottom, Patel, Rashid, Trott

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
This innings backs up my previous post of a partnership player who's at his best with a dominant player at the other end. Did well playing second fiddle to Ponting and it was the partnership that set up the match. you'd be off your rocker to suggest this forgives many of the horrible substandard LOI innings we've seen from him in the past couple of years or that they didn't happen in some peice of bizarre revisionisim.
Yeah fairplay to Clarkey, hopefully he's turned the corner. Doesn't change his recent past though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Now that KP is out, he should definately be in the squad. But in a full-strenght XI not sure if i could pick him though.

I dont mind giving Davies ago ATS. But i'm sure if he is that "fast-scoring" opener that we are looking for TBH based on the little i've seen on sky. I honestly think Mustard scores quicker than him.

Prior is only batting @ 4 ATM because ENG have no choice since lets be fair, with KP we need somebody in the top who can score quickly.Unfortunately Prior aint good enough to bat in top 4 in ODIs. In a potential full stenght ENG ODI side, Prior should bat @ 7 & i reckon he do a good role as a finisher.

Wrong format for Joyce. Shah & Collingwood aren't ODI failures, having a bad series ATM (Shah) of course.

English OD domestic form is hardly a good guide historically to international ODI success. Mahmood should not be near the ODI team, he is our version of Sami.

England just have to accept without Flintoff our ODI attacks lacks wicket-takers in the country. No sense debating & looking for one.

This current problem always happens when KP & Freddie goes missing so the current series is no shock TBH. Eng depend on those two cats more than any other ODI team depend on any few players. Our ODI depth is poor.

My full stenght ODI team when KP & Freddie (if) returns would be:

Strauss
Denly
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Shah/Morgan
Prior
Mascarenhas
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Back-ups: Sidebottom, Patel, Rashid, Trott

Prior is wanker than **** is ODI cricket, he's proven that many times. Anderson is terrible in it at the moment. I think Morgan only has a place as a replacement for Collingwood. Why you can't find a place for the second best OD batsmen in the country I don't know.

Top 4 should be:

Davies
Strauss (given he is captain)
KP
Trott

3 of the bowlers should be Swann, Broad, Sidebottom.

Flintoff is a bonus if he ever plays again consistently.

We don't have a decent 5th bowler to bring in and we lack options to bat 5-7. Best option is probably Collingwood/Morgan at 5, Flintoff at 6, and atm *spit* someone Like Luke Wright at 7.

It won't make us a good side, but we won't be as much of a laughing stock as we currently are.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Given Clarke's recent past (ie. against Pakistan and England) is averaging 64 @ SR68, I can see why people might think that's a touch too slow. But if you look innings by innings, he's contributed really strongly to wins, including in the slower innings.

I actually don't see what's wrong with having someone giving a backbone to the middle order, I think it's a good role to have someone capable of playing when the need arises.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior is wanker than **** is ODI cricket, he's proven that many times. Anderson is terrible in it at the moment. I think Morgan only has a place as a replacement for Collingwood. Why you can't find a place for the second best OD batsmen in the country I don't know.

Top 4 should be:

Davies
KP
Trott

We don't have a decent 5th bowler to bring in and we lack options to bat 5-7. Best option is probably Collingwood/Morgan at 5, Flintoff at 6, and atm *spit* someone Like Luke Wright at 7.

It won't make us a good side, but we won't be as much of a laughing stock as we currently are.
I would be interested to know who you'd have in as bowler number four. I feel it's one of our real problem spots at the moment, and I can't really think who it should be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So else is in front of him then - bearing in mind a middle order should consist of more than just KP.

Yeah, but since 113 is a quite a lot higher than 86 I guess Davies does actually score quicker (as well as averaging more)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
12 tosses in international matches this tour including the T20s. We've won one. Amazing.

pup11

International Coach
Yet we haven't chased a score like this in a long time. Yes it's England, but small steps.
Yup, was pleasantly surprised by our effort last night, we're not great chasing side, so I wasn't very hopeful of our chances chasing down that sort of target, because regardless of the quality of the bowling attack, chasing down 300 in any sort of conditions is a pretty tough ask, but hats off to Ricky, was a brilliant ODI knock from him, has to rank right up there with some of his best ODI knocks.

Yeah fairplay to Clarkey, hopefully he's turned the corner. Doesn't change his recent past though.
Clarke still needs to do a lot of work and lift his game a notch in order to prove his worth in Australian ODI side AFAIC, the good thing is in the last 2 games, he has made a conscious effort to be a bit more aggressive especially against spin, but against the faster bowlers or for that matter even against the dibbly dobblers, he still is struggling to rotate the strike.

Blewett pointed out yesterday, that Clarke is standing a bit square on in his stance these days, which is probably a glitch that he himself isn't aware of, and that probably is one of the reasons behind his recent struggles in shorter format of the game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Luke Wright out of the series and given the Champions Trophy starts next Monday, he will be out of that as well.

Ideal opportunity to get a real batsman in there now...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Luke Wright out of the series and given the Champions Trophy starts next Monday, he will be out of that as well.

Ideal opportunity to get a real batsman in there now...
He might be fit for the last couple of games, so they'll probably just leave him in the squad.. he's so integral to the team that it's clearly worth it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Top 4 should be:

Davies
KP
Trott

Yea that is something like what the team should be. I'd actually be inclined to have Collingwood at 5 and Broad at 6 - it does create a workload issue although Broad shouldn't be playing in lots of ODIs anyway. I think Broad is a fluent enough batsman to score runs at 6 without bogging the innings down and his batting isn't wasted somewhat by merely coming in late and having a slog. If Flintoff is fit that changes things obviously.

Something like:

Davies
Strauss
KP
Trott
Collingwood
Broad
Wright
Mascarenhas
Rashid
Swann
Sidebottom

Obviously if England find any other ODI class batsmen or seam bowlers then that'll be a consideration. Would have the usual situation where players like Bresnan swap in a fair bit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite a funny video on cricket.com.au about it. :)
Glad you think it's amusing :(

Watching highlights now. Ponting's straight 6 off Sidearse - bloody hell. Also had a chuckle at Strauss dropping him.

Haven't seen the England scorecard. Did Belowpara make any?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing innings from Ponting, WAG :)

Straight hit off Sidebottom and the Off-Drive off *english bowler* were sensational.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad you think it's amusing :(

Watching highlights now. Ponting's straight 6 off Sidearse - bloody hell. Also had a chuckle at Strauss dropping him.

Haven't seen the England scorecard. Did Belowpara make any?
Not really, was totally foiled by Watto's genius.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yea that is something like what the team should be. I'd actually be inclined to have Collingwood at 5 and Broad at 6 - it does create a workload issue although Broad shouldn't be playing in lots of ODIs anyway. I think Broad is a fluent enough batsman to score runs at 6 without bogging the innings down and his batting isn't wasted somewhat by merely coming in late and having a slog. If Flintoff is fit that changes things obviously.

Something like:

Davies
Strauss
KP
Trott
Collingwood
Broad
Wright
Mascarenhas
Rashid
Swann
Sidebottom

Obviously if England find any other ODI class batsmen or seam bowlers then that'll be a consideration. Would have the usual situation where players like Bresnan swap in a fair bit.
Morgan has been impressive, think he deserves an extended spell in the side and England should be looking to get him as far up the order as they can. Looks very comfortable against pace, so four for me.

And I think last night illustrated that England lack potency in their attack. Sidebottom is economical but if I'm not mistake he has taken all of two wickets in the series. Mascarenhas similarly is not a wicket taker, averaging close if not over 50. Might as well give Napier a chance, more of strike bowler, can even open the bowling and there is no real discernible difference in batting.