Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Trott's been added to the ODI squad
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Haddin likely to miss one-day series

This would be a big blow for us, as Haddin has been one of our better OD batsmen in recent times, but nonetheless, good opportunity for Paine to make his mark.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Good move this, was surprised he wasn't in the ODI squad in the first place.

I have revised my opinion. The only time hopes can be in the team is when either Haddin is injured, or Warner is out of form/yet to develop his ODI game. In a case like this he should open the batting as he contributes nothing with the bat as a finisher. Voges not in this OD squad yet picked for the Champions Trophy squad? Another big WTF to the selectors. There needs to be permanency in the middle order and that can't happen with all these left field and literally random selections.

Watson
    Hopes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Ferguson
    Paine
    Lee
    Hauritz
    Bracken
    Hilfenhaus

Bracken's walking a thin line, but I'd still give him a few more chances before jettisoning. Would be badly remiss not to pick Hilfenhaus considering the form he's in, so the wayward Johnson misses out (unless Bracken fails then put him in). Siddle also misses out, needs to develop his game a little more. Selectors need to learn that sometimes harsh (but correct) decisions need to be made and some people may need to be dropped so they can work on their game and come back better players.
    Last edited by inbox24; 24-08-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Good. What about the Champions Trophy squad, or has the horse already bolted?

International Vice-Captain
    I wouldn't put hopes anywhere near the top order he fails everytime,would call up sean marsh for haddin or open with paine or clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Good, it was a complete joke that he missed selection in the first place.

Bopara, Davies, Pietersen, Trott - that should the top 4 going into the 2011 World Cup.

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    I don't think Hilfehaus should play based on test form. He's a rather mediocre ODI bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    I have revised my opinion. The only time hopes can be in the team is when either Haddin is injured, or Warner is out of form/yet to develop his ODI game. In a case like this he should open the batting as he contributes nothing with the bat as a finisher. Voges not in this OD squad yet picked for the Champions Trophy squad? Another big WTF to the selectors. There needs to be permanency in the middle order and that can't happen with all these left field and literally random selections.

Watson
    Hopes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Ferguson
    Paine
    Lee
    Hauritz
    Bracken
    Hilfenhaus

Bracken's walking a thin line, but I'd still give him a few more chances before jettisoning. Would be badly remiss not to pick Hilfenhaus considering the form he's in, so the wayward Johnson misses out (unless Bracken fails then put him in). Siddle also misses out, needs to develop his game a little more. Selectors need to learn that sometimes harsh (but correct) decisions need to be made and some people may need to be dropped so they can work on their game and come back better players.
    Paine opens the innings in OD games so surely he would be opening now, don't want Hopes to opening the batting ahead of him tbh.

As or Bracks, I'm not too worried about him, he has been having a rough time of it off late, but he is class bowler, and in the English conditions he should do well.

Anyways, picking Hilfenhaus ahead of Johnson is simply a joke, and Voges is there in this ODI squad.
    Last edited by pup11; 25-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87
    I don't think Hilfehaus should play based on test form. He's a rather mediocre ODI bowler.
    Agreed, Hilfy still has to work on his limited overs bowling, I think he doesn't have much trouble bowling with the new ball, but thereafter its his bowling in the death overs and the middle overs that he really needs to work on.

Voges is not in the OD squad, only White is. As much as bits and pieces Hopes is, he's a bit (pun intended) ahead of White in terms of worth to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Yep.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Voges is not in the OD squad, only White is. As much as bits and pieces Hopes is, he's a bit (pun intended) ahead of White in terms of worth to the team.
    Yeah, sorry for that mate, just looked into the squad and he isn't there, so that's pretty weird on the part of the selectors, but then such blunders don't surprise me any more.

Though in Hopes' case, I really think you need to get you facts right, he been a very steady contributer to the Aussie ODI side for a while now, and its really not his fault that he is being made to bat at no.8 in the side, where he is clearly pretty useless, but still despite that in recent times he has played some handy knocks for us in RSA and as well as in UAE.

With the ball, in most games he has bowled his 10 overs pretty economically and has also contributed decently in terms of wickets, so really he hardly deserves this kind of flak.
    Last edited by pup11; 26-08-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

International Vice-Captain
    Its best to bat hopes at 7 for the balance of he side,when we played hopes at 8 we played no spinner,and hauritz is defnitely up for the one day side.
    White will have to fight hopes for the position as wouldn't bat him at 6,higher or at 8.

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information