Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146
Results 2,176 to 2,188 of 2188

Thread: *Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

  1. #2176
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,446
    Oh fair enough, only looked at List A games as that's what I thought you were referring to. Apologies.

  2. #2177
    Yea Blackwell has been awesome in FC cricket this season. He was poor with the bat in the limited overs stuff but did better when he opened.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 21-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  3. #2178
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,941
    Still probably a better limited overs option than Rashid at this stage. Not a huge turner of the ball, but incredibly accurate.

    Not sure someone with his waist measurement will find a spot in the new, lean, mean, shyte but skinny England set up either. Although as far as I know he's never actually failed any fitness tests like Sammy.

    One of those lardos-in-denial tho, isn't he? Once said he'd have to cut off a limb to make sixteen stone. Well, that or eat less, eh, tubby?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  4. #2179
    International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,634
    Even if Fats Patel had got off the pies he wouldn't be in contention for an England place. Had a pretty abysmal season. With the bat he averaged 20 in the FP Trophy, 24 in the Pro40, 21 in the T20 cup and 30 in the Championship. Top score of 95 all season. Not done too much better with the ball in any competition bar the FP Trophy either. Averaged 17 with the ball in that competition, but 61 in the Championship, 50 in the Pro40 and 29 in the T20 cup. That's a pretty terrible season for old Fats.


  5. #2180
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Highest strike rates in List A Cricket in England this season:

    SM Davies - 116.17
    C Kieswetter - 96.91
    P Mustard - 85.87

    86 clearly faster than 116.

    Davies, as well as scoring his runs significantly quicker than both Kieswetter and Mustard, has also scored more runs at a better average than his competitors.

    edit: one more thing in favour of Davies. He's scored just 3 sixes all season, far less than Kieswetter (10) and Mustard (12), yet has a strike rate which is massively superior. This would suggest 2 things - that Davies is adept at finding gaps in the field without risking going aerial (he's scored far more 4s than both Kiewsetter and Mustard), and he's adept at rotating the strike - something England's top order are crying out for.
    When it coming to judging players in our OD domestic tournament, you really can't look at stats TBH. The gab in quality is so big as you would know, you really have to look at vague instances where these players may be in international standard situations to judge them.

    Blokes like Ali Brown & Mal Loye, Maddy woud score at near run a ball in domestic cricket & not be able to replicate that at international level for obvious reasons.

    I dont have a problem with Davies opening. But given the dynamics of our ODI middle-order i'm not sure if Davies really can be that Trescothick force as an opener againts international attacks. Thats why i would work with Denly along with Strauss & let Prior bat @ 7.

    If things dont work out with Denly & Prior doesn't replicate his test form @ 7 in ODIs in the coming months. Kiewsetter when he qualifies i reckon has the over game to be a quality keeper/bat ODI opener that we are looking for.

  6. #2181
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    When it coming to judging players in our OD domestic tournament, you really can't look at stats TBH. The gab in quality is so big as you would know, you really have to look at vague instances where these players may be in international standard situations to judge them.

    Blokes like Ali Brown & Mal Loye, Maddy woud score at near run a ball in domestic cricket & not be able to replicate that at international level for obvious reasons.

    I dont have a problem with Davies opening. But given the dynamics of our ODI middle-order i'm not sure if Davies really can be that Trescothick force as an opener againts international attacks. Thats why i would work with Denly along with Strauss & let Prior bat @ 7.

    If things dont work out with Denly & Prior doesn't replicate his test form @ 7 in ODIs in the coming months. Kiewsetter when he qualifies i reckon has the over game to be a quality keeper/bat ODI opener that we are looking for.

    You're again missing the point that Prior is garbage. He's been tried up and down the order, he's just **** and should have been gone ages ago. There's no ifs or buts about it.

  7. #2182
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    You're again missing the point that Prior is garbage. He's been tried up and down the order, he's just **** and should have been gone ages ago. There's no ifs or buts about it.
    Well i'm afraid you have read Prior's ODI career very wrong then.

    When Prior legitimately earned his place in the ODI & England team in genereal in 2007 (since he really was garbage & was useless pic before then). Betwen WI 07 at home to IND 08 he was tried as an opener based on domestic performance & failed.

    The only reason Prior batted up @ 3 vs AUS was because KP was out & England felt they needed some agggressive impetus during the power-play overs.

    Then during the ODI series in the caribbean earlier this year he looked MUCH better in the position he bats in test matches @ 7, thats why i say i dont see why Prior can't do a solid finishing role down the order in ODI cricket. The way he batted vs SRI confirms this belief.

  8. #2183
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,446
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Well i'm afraid you have read Prior's ODI career very wrong then.

    When Prior legitimately earned his place in the ODI & England team in genereal in 2007 (since he really was garbage & was useless pic before then). Betwen WI 07 at home to IND 08 he was tried as an opener based on domestic performance & failed.

    The only reason Prior batted up @ 3 vs AUS was because KP was out & England felt they needed some agggressive impetus during the power-play overs.

    Then during the ODI series in the caribbean earlier this year he looked MUCH better in the position he bats in test matches @ 7, thats why i say i dont see why Prior can't do a solid finishing role down the order in ODI cricket. The way he batted vs SRI confirms this belief.
    Shame he bats at 6 in tests then.

  9. #2184
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Well i'm afraid you have read Prior's ODI career very wrong then.

    When Prior legitimately earned his place in the ODI & England team in genereal in 2007 (since he really was garbage & was useless pic before then). Betwen WI 07 at home to IND 08 he was tried as an opener based on domestic performance & failed.

    The only reason Prior batted up @ 3 vs AUS was because KP was out & England felt they needed some agggressive impetus during the power-play overs.

    Then during the ODI series in the caribbean earlier this year he looked MUCH better in the position he bats in test matches @ 7, thats why i say i dont see why Prior can't do a solid finishing role down the order in ODI cricket. The way he batted vs SRI confirms this belief.
    Yea he's looked so much better now that he's scored a massive 69 runs coming at number 7 throughout his ODI career.

  10. #2185
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Shame he bats at 6 in tests then.
    Am thats not what i meant, i was refering to the position he batted during the ODI series in WI. Regardless, Prior best position in internaitonal cricket is 6 or 7, thats where he should be given an extended run in the ODI side.


    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly Piscine
    Yea he's looked so much better now that he's scored a massive 69 runs coming at number 7 throughout his ODI career.
    Haa nice stats picking. Why didn't you mention how much innings & his average?.

    Fact is the only reason Prior opened for ENG is given that Trescothick left the gap in the ODI top-order, we where looking for a player to fill that role. So ATM we are still searching for that aggressive opener who can take advantage of power-plays.

    Prior though as i just said - should bat @ 6 or 7 in ODIs as long as he is in the side, unless another keeper-bats comes & gives the ODI side a different balance.

  11. #2186
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,106
    aussie, just accept it, Prior shouldn't be in the ODI team. There's no good reason why we can't have separate keepers in different formats.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  12. #2187
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,584
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Haa nice stats picking. Why didn't you mention how much innings & his average?.
    So if he didn't play many innings there, by definition he hasn't produced on enough occasions for it to be conclusive - thus negating your point.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  13. #2188
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    aussie, just accept it, Prior shouldn't be in the ODI team. There's no good reason why we can't have separate keepers in different formats.
    We can. I am already looking at having Kieswetter & Prior in ODIs & tests. But for now once all are fit, i see no reason why Prior can't bat @ 7, with Strauss & whoever (hopefully Denly) opening.

    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    So if he didn't play many innings there, by definition he hasn't produced on enough occasions for it to be conclusive - thus negating your point.
    Thats not his fault, thats the selectors. Fact is the only time he has looked himself in ODIs i.e vs SRI the other day - is the few times he has batted in his regular test match position.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Goodwin for Australia
    By iamdavid in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22-12-2003, 05:55 PM
  2. ODIs at Telstra Stadium
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 02:05 AM
  3. Aus Vs Numibia
    By Eclipse in forum World Cup 2003
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-02-2003, 12:40 PM
  4. Who Shoud bat 4 for Australia in ODI's
    By age_master in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-01-2003, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •