• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When it coming to judging players in our OD domestic tournament, you really can't look at stats TBH. The gab in quality is so big as you would know, you really have to look at vague instances where these players may be in international standard situations to judge them.

Blokes like Ali Brown & Mal Loye, Maddy woud score at near run a ball in domestic cricket & not be able to replicate that at international level for obvious reasons.

I dont have a problem with Davies opening. But given the dynamics of our ODI middle-order i'm not sure if Davies really can be that Trescothick force as an opener againts international attacks. Thats why i would work with Denly along with Strauss & let Prior bat @ 7.

If things dont work out with Denly & Prior doesn't replicate his test form @ 7 in ODIs in the coming months. Kiewsetter when he qualifies i reckon has the over game to be a quality keeper/bat ODI opener that we are looking for.

You're again missing the point that Prior is garbage. He's been tried up and down the order, he's just **** and should have been gone ages ago. There's no ifs or buts about it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You're again missing the point that Prior is garbage. He's been tried up and down the order, he's just **** and should have been gone ages ago. There's no ifs or buts about it.
Well i'm afraid you have read Prior's ODI career very wrong then.

When Prior legitimately earned his place in the ODI & England team in genereal in 2007 (since he really was garbage & was useless pic before then). Betwen WI 07 at home to IND 08 he was tried as an opener based on domestic performance & failed.

The only reason Prior batted up @ 3 vs AUS was because KP was out & England felt they needed some agggressive impetus during the power-play overs.

Then during the ODI series in the caribbean earlier this year he looked MUCH better in the position he bats in test matches @ 7, thats why i say i dont see why Prior can't do a solid finishing role down the order in ODI cricket. The way he batted vs SRI confirms this belief.

Jarquis

When Prior legitimately earned his place in the ODI & England team in genereal in 2007 (since he really was garbage & was useless pic before then). Betwen WI 07 at home to IND 08 he was tried as an opener based on domestic performance & failed.

The only reason Prior batted up @ 3 vs AUS was because KP was out & England felt they needed some agggressive impetus during the power-play overs.

Then during the ODI series in the caribbean earlier this year he looked MUCH better in the position he bats in test matches @ 7, thats why i say i dont see why Prior can't do a solid finishing role down the order in ODI cricket. The way he batted vs SRI confirms this belief.
Shame he bats at 6 in tests then.

Scaly piscine

Yea he's looked so much better now that he's scored a massive 69 runs coming at number 7 throughout his ODI career.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shame he bats at 6 in tests then.
Am thats not what i meant, i was refering to the position he batted during the ODI series in WI. Regardless, Prior best position in internaitonal cricket is 6 or 7, thats where he should be given an extended run in the ODI side.

Scaly Piscine said:
Yea he's looked so much better now that he's scored a massive 69 runs coming at number 7 throughout his ODI career.
Haa nice stats picking. Why didn't you mention how much innings & his average?.

Fact is the only reason Prior opened for ENG is given that Trescothick left the gap in the ODI top-order, we where looking for a player to fill that role. So ATM we are still searching for that aggressive opener who can take advantage of power-plays.

Prior though as i just said - should bat @ 6 or 7 in ODIs as long as he is in the side, unless another keeper-bats comes & gives the ODI side a different balance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie, just accept it, Prior shouldn't be in the ODI team. There's no good reason why we can't have separate keepers in different formats.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie, just accept it, Prior shouldn't be in the ODI team. There's no good reason why we can't have separate keepers in different formats.
We can. I am already looking at having Kieswetter & Prior in ODIs & tests. But for now once all are fit, i see no reason why Prior can't bat @ 7, with Strauss & whoever (hopefully Denly) opening.

marc71178 said:
So if he didn't play many innings there, by definition he hasn't produced on enough occasions for it to be conclusive - thus negating your point.
Thats not his fault, thats the selectors. Fact is the only time he has looked himself in ODIs i.e vs SRI the other day - is the few times he has batted in his regular test match position.