• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad, Anderson, Sidebottom, Swann. Be fair, that's not a bad attack. They haven't really fired in the ODIs, but they're not bad.
It's a worse attack than Australia, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan... perhaps the West Indies?

But yes, if Broad had been fit, it would have been a good start!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might as well bin this whole batting line-up bar Strauss, and possibly Bopara (sorry, Ravi bias, I'd keep him in there :p I'd just bat him down the order a touch). Need some new faces, with some players who actually know what they're doing in OD cricket. This lot seem to have had so many chances, and continued to be terrible, so we have to get rid of them. There are some talented OD batsmen in England, we're just not picking them. Kieswetter better get picked when he's qualified.
Sorry but Ravi has to go, I would almost rather see him in the test side than ODI's to be honest. He made a repution for himself in the last world cup but has done hardly anything since, I know he was pointlessly down the order for a long while but an average of 28 at a strike rate of 70 after almosy 50 matches is just not acceptable.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Broad, Anderson, Sidebottom, Swann. Be fair, that's not a bad attack. They haven't really fired in the ODIs, but they're not bad.
Yeah, if they did happen to fire (!), they would be pretty damn good. Broad and Anderson can both be world beaters on their days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a worse attack than Australia, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan... perhaps the West Indies?

But yes, if Broad had been fit, it would have been a good start!
They're an English attack. When the ball swings they're better than all of those attacks bar South Africa and Sri Lanka. Remember the whitewash of South Africa?

Flintoff to come back too, yeah.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Possible overhaul of County List-A cricket...

The way I see it, there are far too many games bunched together in such a short space of time, that way players are not being prepared to get the best out of themselves, or to work on more specific skills i.e counteracting genuine quick bowlers (Lee, Steyn) in the shorter form.

I just feel the current domestic cricket does not much to promote England to move forward in the near future.

Pothas

It is not bad, and potentially very good if Jimmy and Broad both bowled well at the same time (something that is not likely to happen very often) Would like to replace Sidebottom really but he is not woefull and Dimi does a reasonable job as the 5'th bowler. Would like him to do a little more but I think he deserves his place in the squad at least.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They're an English attack. When the ball swings they're better than all of those attacks bar South Africa and Sri Lanka. Remember the whitewash of South Africa?

Flintoff to come back too, yeah.
Would rather have Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken and Mitchell Johnson in my team, irrespective of the conditions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think the bowling, whilst no great shakes, has more pretensions to adequacy than the batting. There's also the problem that there's no one obvious who'd definitely improve it. The fact that Saj is currently the best performing English-qualified seamer tells its own tale. Think Napier's def worth a look as well, but again, no guarantees.

With the batting tho, god it's just uniform direness, isn't it? Strauss has somehow gone from "not suitable for the format" to "only hope" & there's at least three (Joyce, Davies & Trott) blokes who would improve the team but aren't, for whatever reason (CT squad the putative excuse, I know) being used. :wacko:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell Johnson showed in South Africa how dangerous he can be when he is swinging the ball. Lee and Bracken both swing the ball too. And you might bring Hilfy in too. I would also take the Aussie attack over the English in any conditions.

Uppercut

Would rather have Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken and Mitchell Johnson in my team, irrespective of the conditions.
Lee's better than any English bowlers, arguably better than any one-day fast bowler in the world at the moment.

The others, much of a muchness. The white ball swings so rarely lately that you can't really gauge the effectiveness of Anderson, Sidebottom and Bracken during the powerplays. The English bowlers have taken a bit more tip than Bracken and Johnson, but of course they have- they're bowling to infinitely better players. Neither of those Australians have looked particularly good, and their new-ball spells have been nothing short of horrendous at times.

Hauritz has been good this series, but Swann hasn't been bad either. They're both pretty good bowlers.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopes saying he came in to cover Watson's 'rest day' but he had a good match. It'll be interesting what Australia go for when it's time to pick their full team.

Burgey

Jeez, the way this series has gone makes me wish this was an Ashes year. Instead they just played that silly one-off test at Leeds.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was just a one-day match at leeds wasn't it? Where Broad and Swann destroyed Australia's finest? :ph34r:

Johnners

(y) Good knock from Paine. I was about to post about how he doesn't quite seem ready enough to open ODI's, not rotating the strike etc. after Watson got out. Probably still true to a certain extent, but the fact that he went on with it makes up for the earlier indescretions.

Ricky's gun in the field btw :cool:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Imagine if this series was being played before the Ashes. I would be slitting my wrists. As it is, and I've never before either said this word nor typed it,

meh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Imagine if this series was being played before the Ashes. I would be slitting my wrists. As it is, and I've never before either said this word nor typed it,

meh
Yeah, for all the complaining I and others have done about the scheduling, if the ODIs had gone first then i reckon ye crims might well have taken the urn home. Oh well.