• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket Season

Mupariwa_Magic

Cricket Spectator
There aren't many Zimbabweans on here but I thought I'd make a thread anyway.

There are 5 new franchise teams, which include:
Mashonaland Eagles - Captained by Elton Chigumbura
Matabeleland Tuskers - Captained by Tawanda Mupariwa
Mountaineers - Captained by Hamilton Masakadza
Southern Rocks - Captained by Chamunorwa Chibhabha
Midwest Rhinos - Captained by Edward Rainsford

The squads have not been confirmed yet.. and they should be announced soon.

I'm really looking forward to this season of Zimbabwe Domestic Season and I will be supporting the Matabeleland Tuskers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was actually going to start this thread yesterday but I never got around to it. Good to know there will be someone other than Chubb, myself and TT Boy posting in this thread. :p

I haven't paid much attention to the Logan Cup over the last few years because it's been a five-round season spread out over a ridiculous amount of time with very little coverage, unavailable players and regularly postponed games all part and parcel. National selection has been based more on net form and local grade competitions than this competition which shows just how low it got.

However, this is either really exciting or really optomisitic on ZC's behalf. This will be a full twenty-round season in which team plays 16 First Class games and 16 one dayers followed by a Twenty20 comp contested between the best players in the country. There are even players coming back for this - Rogers, Marillier, Duffin, Macmillan, Ewing and Gripper's names have all been tossed around. Although I'm a tad sceptical it'll all come about as has been advertised, I can't help but be quite excited at the prospect of the whole thing. Hopefully it all goes to plan.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sweet, the seeds of recovery are being sown? The franchise system, although I don't really like it, is good for the game.. I assume the "Mountaineers" play out of Mutare?

Mupariwa_Magic

Cricket Spectator
I was actually going to start this thread yesterday but I never got around to it. Good to know there will be someone other than Chubb, myself and TT Boy posting in this thread. :p

I haven't paid much attention to the Logan Cup over the last few years because it's been a five-round season spread out over a ridiculous amount of time with very little coverage, unavailable players and regularly postponed games all part and parcel. National selection has been based more on net form and local grade competitions than this competition which shows just how low it got.

However, this is either really exciting or really optomisitic on ZC's behalf. A full twenty-round season in which team played 16 First Class games and 16 one dayers followed by a Twenty20 comp contested between the best players in the country. There are even players coming back for this - Rogers, Marillier, Duffin, Macmillan, Ewing and Gripper's names have all been tossed around. Although I'm a tad sceptical it'll all come about as has been advertised, I can't help but be quite excited at the prospect of the whole thing. Hopefully it all goes to plan.
Good to hear Prince EWS, I'm really looking forward to this years domestic cricket season as well.
Are you a Zimbabwe cricket fan?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are you a Zimbabwe cricket fan?
You could say that, yeah. I was born in (and live in) Australia to Australian/English parentage but I've always taken a keen interest in Zimbabwean cricket and cheer the national team on.

I guess you could say I was a glutton for punishment although it makes the good times all the more fulfilling. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That was shown on Supersport, does that mean we'll be getting TV coverage down here?!
It was shown during one of the recent ODIs against Bangladesh, so I'm not sure if it was an actual ad for the competition because they'll be televising it, or just background information for context.

I definitely hope so though, because SuperSport would be a lot easier to get hold of in Sydney than whatever it'd be televised on in Zimbabwe (if at all).

Mupariwa_Magic

Cricket Spectator
You could say that, yeah. I was born in (and live in) Australia to Australian/English parentage but I've always taken a keen interest in Zimbabwean cricket and cheer the national team on.

I guess you could say I was a glutton for punishment although it makes the good times all the more fulfilling. :p
Good to hear mate, what team will you be supporting in the domestic season?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Does anyone have current squads? Also, which teams will be playing in Harare and which teams home ground is in Bulawayo.

Chubb

International Regular
There aren't many Zimbabweans on here but I thought I'd make a thread anyway.

There are 5 new franchise teams, which include:
Mashonaland Eagles - Captained by Elton Chigumbura
Matabeleland Tuskers - Captained by Tawanda Mupariwa
Mountaineers - Captained by Hamilton Masakadza
Southern Rocks - Captained by Chamunorwa Chibhabha
Midwest Rhinos - Captained by Edward Rainsford

The squads have not been confirmed yet.. and they should be announced soon.

I'm really looking forward to this season of Zimbabwe Domestic Season and I will be supporting the Matabeleland Tuskers.
Good to see a real Zimbo on here. Are you on brmtaylor.com?

I am quite looking forward to the franchise competition. Things have improved in the cricket administration since Coltart took over at the sports ministry. Can see Mash winning once again though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good to see a real Zimbo on here. Are you on brmtaylor.com?

I am quite looking forward to the franchise competition. Things have improved in the cricket administration since Coltart took over at the sports ministry. Can see Mash winning once again though.
The rumoured Tuskers signing are making me think otherwise TBH, assuming they actually get to play most of the games and aren't unavailable on national duty or playing overseas.

Sunday News said:
Tawanda Mupariwa, Mark Vermeulen, Sean Williams, Charles Coventry, Christopher Mpofu, John Nyumbu, Simba Kusano, Sydwell Ndlovu, Titus Chipare and Matt Williams are the players who have all signed their contracts.

Fast bowler Njabulo Ncube is the only player who has been lost by the franchise. The former national Under-19 player has signed for Mutare-based Mountaineers franchise. However, Matabeleland Tuskers spokesperson Donald Khumalo said the player has shown willingness to come back to his home franchise.

Matabeleland Tuskers have also set their sights on signing some former Zimbabwe internationals who are playing club cricket in the United Kingdom at the moment. These are former Zimbabwe captain Terrence Duffin, former Zimbabwe opening batsman Dion Ebrahim and off spinning all-rounder Gavin Ewing and a J McClean, who is understood to be playing international club cricket in the UK.

Fourteen other players have signed pay as you play deals. These are Thabo Mboyi, Freedom Takarusenga, Romeo Kasawaya, Kendrick Moyo, Taurai Madiri, Mxolisi Dube, Bernard Mukondiwa, Cunningham Ncube, Khawulani Ntuli, Godwin Mamhiyo, Steven Chimanhiyo, Dumisani Mankunzini, Vincent Dururu and Mduduzi Fuzwayo.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could be ITSTL, esp. given that several former players may be on their way back.

Chubb

International Regular
That J McLean is probably Jono McLean who had a couple of years on the Hampshire staff. There have been some rumours about Greg Lamb coming back as well, just have to wait and see.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That J McLean is probably Jono McLean who had a couple of years on the Hampshire staff. There have been some rumours about Greg Lamb coming back as well, just have to wait and see.
Thought he was a Saffie?