• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long before we see "six runs derbies"?

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
During the baseball All Star weekend theres the home run derby. As the name suggest its when batters compete to see who can hit the most home runs.

First there was test cricket, then there was limited overs cricket - sometimes 60 overs. Up until the early 90's I believe it was still 55 overs In England. Now we're down to twenty overs per side.

Wouldnt the logical conclusion be now we just have a batter and a bowler. The bowler just bowls the ball and the batman attempts to hit a six. 10 overs per side, no outs.

Over in 90mins.

Of course this will keep people happy until someone invents the 45 min game.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
That'd be enough to make Richard pine for the good old days of Twenty20 ...

Actually what you're describing there has been done before. Single-wicket competitions were very popular in England in the 19th century, and continued to be held from time to time until the 1950s. Double wicket competitions, between two pairs of players both batting and bowling, were a variant on that. I actually saw an international one in London (indoor arena, may have been Earls Court) in the late 70s. Derek Randall was one of the England pair, can't remember who his partner was now. May have been Gower rather than the obvious choice, Botham. Australia's choices were Ian Brayshaw and Phil Carlson. Norbert Phillip was one of the West Indians. Don't remember who won though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Actually what you're describing there has been done before. Single-wicket competitions were very popular in England in the 19th century, and continued to be held from time to time until the 1950s. Double wicket competitions, between two pairs of players both batting and bowling, were a variant on that. I actually saw an international one in London (indoor arena, may have been Earls Court) in the late 70s. Derek Randall was one of the England pair, can't remember who his partner was now. May have been Gower rather than the obvious choice, Botham. Australia's choices were Ian Brayshaw and Phil Carlson. Norbert Phillip was one of the West Indians. Don't remember who won though.

There was a single wicket allrounders competition involving amongst others Botham and Clive Rice. They each batted for 15 overs no matter how many times they were out. The competition was won by Clive Rice who made 60 for 0. Ian Botham made 222 for 5. I can't remember the exact process for working out who won as their bowling was also taken into account. I remember Rice sealing his victory by bowling Malcolm Marshall three times in one over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doubt it, though TBF I do realise you weren't being remotely serious. BTW, you missed on e on the end of good olde.

Anyway wouldn't be remotely surprised to see anything much be brought in as money-making ventures, nor would I mind as long as they make money to help stage Test\ODI\domestic cricket and don't impact on players' ability to play those games well.