• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

indian only viewed IPL

brockley

International Captain
IPL not such a big hit after all

The Indian Premier League (IPL) has been a TV ratings flop outside India and “faces a challenge to attract new fans”, according to a report to be published tomorrow, writes Nick Harris.

Viewing figures showed 96% of the audience was in India and figures elsewhere were so low that they barely registered.

The report, by the independent global sports consultancy, Futures Sport+Entertainment, says ratings fell 20% from 2008 to 2009. It says the decline may relate to “the difficulty of sustaining interest across 59 matches played over five weeks”. The report raises questions over the IPL’s long-term sustainability and the value of paying vast sums to attract big-name players such as Andrew Flintoff.

The Times
:wacko:

Pigeon

Banned
Who cares about viewership of IPL in other countries. It is basically aimed at Indian advertisers. I think it has done the job. And there is not a cat in hell's chance that it is going to be a flop from now on.

The drop in TV ratings is understandable since 95% of the watching crowd comes from the subcontinent, and the timings were a bit awry. Also add to that the brouhaha associated with the general elections during that time. I expect a full comeback in the coming season.

Lol @ doomsday predictors. Some sure sore grapes out there.

pasag

RTDAS
Article missing the point that a) Flintoff is a huge name in India as well and b) he was mostly picked for his cricketing skills (as opposed to first season signings).

I think the BCCI would be disappointed in this to an extent as having a global market has many obvious rewards, however they shouldn't have just expected that they could do no work and everyone would tune in. It takes a lot of hard work and investment and if they do that in the future there's no reason they can't capture a much higher global audience.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It will take time to get a real following overseas anyway, wasn't till this season that I finally decided which team I supported and I'm a pretty avid cricket fan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Who cares about viewership of IPL in other countries. It is basically aimed at Indian advertisers. I think it has done the job. And there is not a cat in hell's chance that it is going to be a flop from now on.

The drop in TV ratings is understandable since 95% of the watching crowd comes from the subcontinent, and the timings were a bit awry. Also add to that the brouhaha associated with the general elections during that time. I expect a full comeback in the coming season.

Lol @ doomsday predictors. Some sure sore grapes out there.
Which is the problem with the IPL. It should never have been created with such a strong bias towards its Indian base. But its not total the BCCIs fault, again it goes back to problem of the ICC not being a proper governing body.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would be surprised if it ever gains a significant following outside of the subcontinent in it's current form, beyond hardcore cricket nuts.

Personally not a fan of the IPL and don't like it potentially negatively affecting real cricket, so hope the business model does fail, but don't agree that this is what we're seeing here.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The report raises questions over the IPL’s long-term sustainability and the value of paying vast sums to attract big-name players such as Andrew Flintoff.

That is the crux.

As a businessman (forget what I think as a cricket enthusiast) I find it laughable that one would pay for resources not just more than what they are worth, or more than what will reduce the risk of financial difficulties but more than what they would have "walked in" for on their own.

Anyone who tells me Modi is a shrewd businessman has me smiling; not because he will necessarily make losses (which he or more pertinently the licensees might well do) but because there is no sense in overpaying beyond what is required for the business. Making less profit than you can is also bad business; making losses just looks worse.

brockley

International Captain
I wonder why there was a 20% less,a correlation to the extra games played maybe.
If so more games next year will have a negative effect.
One thing in ipl's favour is all the indians from icl can play ipl now,that may win over some icl viewers.
Overseas i dunno.
No pakistan players i think effected viewing in pakistan,**** passion forum only covered icl games.
In australia the hype of ipl wore off after ipl1 + channel 10 showed their ipl games on its HD channel which country viewers could not get,that will change this year.
I am interested in the report in tomorrow if they show it in the times.
Following the times for its ashes spot,get the english point of view.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Which is the problem with the IPL. It should never have been created with such a strong bias towards its Indian base. But its not total the BCCIs fault, again it goes back to problem of the ICC not being a proper governing body.
Until some foreigners (or foreign organisations) put some money down, it will always be an Indian tournament.

Why can you not accept that just because there are foreigners playing in the league, it doesn't mean its not a domestic tournament?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What we're the crowds like in s africa,i heard a lot of the tickets we're given away?
Although the official cameras were carefully placed and tried to keep focussing on the sections with the crowds and the cheer leaders, there are plenty of private photographs that show large empty stands. Have a look from different matches...

May 12th - Kings XI Punjab versus Mumbai Indians

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
May 20th - KKR vs Rajasthan Royals

May 19th - Delhi Daredevils versus Royal Challengers

Pigeon

Banned
Frankly SJS, the point that in SA IPL, crowds were not full does not mean anything for it's future as the Indian Premier League. I don't understand the emphasis. The very fact that despite relocating it SA, that too on a very short notice, it still commanded reasonably good crowds and did not register a fatal dip in TV ratings suggest it did a good job. Also to satiate the timings requirement of the Indian crowd, games were started at 12.30 PM SA time, which is just not the time to expect a full crowd on a weekend is it not?