• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards v Sunil Gavaskar

Who was greater?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One was the complete master blaster while the other had defensive technique which couldn't be thwarted. Arguably the two greatest batsmen of their generation (along with Barry Richards maybe but he played far less international cricket).

What's your choice and why?

Pigeon

Banned
One was the complete master blaster while the other had defensive technique which couldn't be thwarted. Arguably the two greatest batsmen of their generation (along with Barry Richards maybe but he played far less international cricket).

What's your choice and why?
Richards because he is Sir Viv.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Viv because he didn't have a weakness. No one really got on top of him - he didn't really fail against anyone, he averages 40+ home or away against against everyone bar Australia at home.* He averaged about the same as Sunil and scored the runs twice as fast in an era where he was their Gilchrist. This is also ignoring that he played on a bit too long.

Between the greats, the differences are never huge, but I would confidently pick Sir Viv ahead of Sunil.

*Reckon the 3 tests in NZ are conclusive and would back him if he had played there more.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's a shame in some ways that Richards didn't play in a weaker side that needed his runs more. If he'd needed to bat forever he would have broken all records and the statsmongers who weren't around at the time wouldn't try to shoot down his admirers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why compare a opener to a middle-order bat, regardless of the fact that they where two great batsmen..

bagapath

International Captain
well, there is the accusation that gavaskar didnt play the four pronged windies battery enough; the fact is viv never played them.

it is a tough, tough call. i will eventually have to go with viv but it is not easy for me.

subshakerz

International Coach
Unless there is a significant advantage or deficiency in between the records of two players playing around the same era, I use personal opinion and peer opinion to judge between them. Gavaskar and Richards don't really have significant weakness or advantages in their records over each other, but Richards just was a more feared, attacking player who could take away momentum in a game, and was rated by almost all major players from his era as the best. Richards it is.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Are these polls exclusively about their test records as batsmen? Does Richard's amazing ODI career count> The fact that Richards was a handy spin bowler or an amazing infielder? Or that Richards never captained a losing test series?

Richards was more than just a good test batsman.

bagapath

International Captain
Are these polls exclusively about their test records as batsmen? Does Richard's amazing ODI career count> The fact that Richards was a handy spin bowler or an amazing infielder? Or that Richards never captained a losing test series?

Richards was more than just a good test batsman.
good questions. if these factors are taken into consideration, richards deserves to win by a mile. if it is only about them as test batsmen then richards deserves to win by a whisker.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Viv along with G. Chappel were the top draw Gavaskar was below them but above Miandad and Border.

Dissector

International Debutant
Both tend to be somewhat overrated but I would put Viv ahead of Gavaskar. Let's not forget his performances during the Packer series, some of the greatest cricket ever played, where he was one of the best batsmen along with Greg Chappell.

Dissector

International Debutant
Clearly this poll is quite one-sided and I really don't think you can compare the two batsmen; they had completely different styles and played different roles in their teams. A much more interesting poll would be Viv Richards versus Greg Chappell probably the two greatest batsmen between Sobers and Tendulkar. Not sure how I would go in that matchup.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Both tend to be somewhat overrated
Would be interested to hear your reasonings for this. Is it stat based, or are there other factors? The most common arguments I could think of are a) Viv averaging "only" 50 despite not having to face his own attack and b) Sunny's reputation/numbers against WI being somewhat misleading. But if your thinking is different I'd be interested to hear more about it. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
well, there is the accusation that gavaskar didnt play the four pronged windies battery enough; the fact is viv never played them.

it is a tough, tough call. i will eventually have to go with viv but it is not easy for me.
Yeah it is not an easy call. Both are top notch test batsmen. I can't decide for myself whom to rate higher.