• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Shakib = GOAT

He will be before he hits 35.

One of the few pure all-rounders ever.
GOAT what? Cricketer? All rounder? Batsman? Spinner?

He'll come nowhere near the GOAT in any of those categories.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
I was thinking about this today. I reckon I'd rate him 3rd of all the allrounders post the 80s quartet (behind JK and Pollock). He might have almost eclipsed Kapil amongst Asian allrounders, but still a far way behind Imran.
Don't get overwhelmed by stats alone. Kapil avg:ed 31.05 with the bat after withstanding some 20 <25 avg: bowlers and after playing 131 tests in a span of less than 16 years.And he had a str; of almost 81. Shakib as of now has faced only Steyn & Murali.
i would credit Shakib a lot more in bowling though because of being am member of a weak team.

And Kapil was a far better one day player than Shakib. So all in all Shakib has a very long way to go.

smash84

The Tiger King
Kapil was a match winner on his day, definitely higher impact than Shakib. His record against the WI of his time is pretty good, who are arguably the greatest team to have ever played the game. Can't say the same about Shakib

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No I think this is one of those classic situations in which statistics flatter to deceive.

Shakib is not the equal of Kapil Dev sorry.

Firstly he's never toured (or played for that matter) Australia,secondly in his batting average of 40, he is abysmal against the next 3 strongest sides England, SA & India (25,19,20 respectively).

Most batsmen tend to have better records against the weaker sides, that's just the natural of it, but his is more accentuated.

Bowling wise he's hardly played away from home (just 14 tests), hardly enough to establish much of a record.

I don;t think he's much better than a Vettori standard all-rounder, just Vettori started when he was 18 & played much stiffer opposition overall,

Shakib is possibly the most overrated Test player on CW.

Zinzan

If there's anyone he's got a similar Test record to it's Tony Greig, only Greig's record is better with 8 tons in 58 tests, vs Shakib's 4 in 45 tests & most importantly Greig compiled his record against top opposition, including 34 of his 58 tests vs either Australia or the West indies.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Shakib is possibly the most overrated Test player on CW.
Lol, considering some of the English and Australian mediocrities and flavours of the month the crowd here nut themselves over, not even close. Laughable to compare him to Vettori with a mendacious "played much stiffer opposition overall" considering Vettori was the king of feasting against the minnows and fasting against the big boys (or even the intermediate boys).

And yes, it is a real shame that Shakib has never been able to boost his stats by playing against Australia at home, though I'm not sure why that should count against him.

Zinzan

Lol, considering some of the English and Australian mediocrities and flavours of the month the crowd here nut themselves over, not even close. Laughable to compare him to Vettori with a mendacious "played much stiffer opposition overall" considering Vettori was the king of feasting against the minnows and fasting against the big boys (or even the intermediate boys).

And yes, it is a real shame that Shakib has never been able to boost his stats by playing against Australia at home, though I'm not sure why that should count against him.
Not his fault he hasn't been able to face the one of the toughest opposition in his playing career obviously, but it can't be discounted when looking at his numbers and comparing his vs. others. The Tony Greig comparison was apt, because their records are so similar, only when you look closely & see Greig played 34 of 58 tests against Aust and the Windies (in the 70s) you see how stupid the comparison is. And let's not forget Tony Greig was an excellent allrounder, but not an ATG.

Re: Vettori, he was indeed a minnow basher, but he still faced much tougher opposition overall in his career than Shakib, you can't even compare the two in that respect. Vettori's most played opposition were Australia (19), South Africa (15), England (17) and & India (14).

If you want to put Shakib, the Test all-rounder up in the Kapil, Cairns, Flintoff class, go ahead, but I won't.

Last edited: