• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

smash84

The Tiger King
you go from discrediting his all-round stats by saying he gets to bat twice to agreeing to "most people get to bat twice"... ok?
I said he bats twice yeah, but I wasn't discrediting his batting. You were the one who came up with the theory that he bats twice but bowls just once and that cancels out LOL

viriya

International Captain
Considering Ban is more likely to get innings defeated, he is more likely to bat twice but bowl just once than a player from a team other than Ban...

smash84

The Tiger King
Considering Ban is more likely to get innings defeated, he is more likely to bat twice but bowl just once than a player from a team other than Ban...
How many test wins has Shakib managed for Bangers? I haven't seen him play test matches tbf

Athlai

Not Terrible
How many test wins has Shakib managed for Bangers? I haven't seen him play test matches tbf
In Tests Bangladesh have a handful of wins. Shakib isn't enough to account for the Z-Grade support he gets from about half the team.

In terms of Bangladeshi quality, Shakib, Tamim and Rahim are all regarded as being Test quality players. Mominul is almost there, Nasir and most of the spinners are at least FC quality.

But beyond that there is almost nothing.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rating him highly in ODIs is one thing but there's not a hope on earth he'll be one of the top 5 Test all rounders of all time.
Haha it's weird, I don't think he's as good as his figures suggest in ODIs, but I rate him very highly as a Test all rounder. Whether he'll be up there at, say Kapil level remains to be seen, but he's been absolutely amazing for Bangladesh in the longer format. He's definitely done more in tests than ODIs imo. That series in South Africa where Bangladesh was basically a one man attack showed how good he was. Only problem is he's only played 37 tests. Just needs to keep doing this for another few years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not weird at all. He's good but nowhere near as good as people who view the pitch as less relevant than the spreadsheet are trying to make out. For certain I'd have him below Kallis as an all rounder (which doesn't say a lot for him bearing in mind my views on Kallis).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Shakib

I was thinking about this today. I reckon I'd rate him 3rd of all the allrounders post the 80s quartet (behind JK and Pollock). He might have almost eclipsed Kapil amongst Asian allrounders, but still a far way behind Imran.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He's a gun, for sure. But I don't think you'd say he's "eclipsed" Kapil in any sense, Kapil being one of the great match winners of all time.

There's guys like Cairns, Flintoff, Watson etc post 80s and I'd put him on par with them, at least.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I was thinking about this today. I reckon I'd rate him 3rd of all the allrounders post the 80s quartet (behind JK and Pollock). He might have almost eclipsed Kapil amongst Asian allrounders, but still a far way behind Imran.
Relax, he only took 3 wickets against NZ. We need to wait.

OverratedSanity

Shakib is legitimately great. Only think working against him is that he's only played 40 odd tests so far, which makes comparing his record to other great ARs a bit of a futile exercise.

Daemon

He's a gun, for sure. But I don't think you'd say he's "eclipsed" Kapil in any sense, Kapil being one of the great match winners of all time.

There's guys like Cairns, Flintoff, Watson etc post 80s and I'd put him on par with them, at least.
Definitely better output than Watson ffs.

Burgey

Thank god the insufferable ***** isn't around to yap up this average finger spinning all rounder. Bloke has done well against mediocre opposition in patches but let's be honest, he would struggle for a FC gig in most test playing nations.