Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Here are the stats limiting it to the 9 Test Nations and Zimbabwe.

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Shakib's average difference still 7th best now (I made a mistake in my earlier post - he was 7th best in that list too).

He still averages below 30 with the ball, while Klusener has gone above 30, making it only 6 bowlers averaging below 30 in that list. And Shakib still has the best batting average of the lot.

Also worth noting that 2 players are no longer on the list when you exclude minnows - Yuvraj Singh and Grant Flower.

And that 5 out of Shakib's 6 tons are against the Top 8 + Zimbabwe, although granted 3 of them are against Zimbabwe themselves, who have been more or less associate level during his career.

I hesitate to take Zimbabwe out of the earlier query I put up because they were pretty competitive for a while, during the careers of players such as Kallis, Klusener and Dev, but in Shakib's case if you exclude Zimbawe you end up with an average difference of -2.49.

Still a good record but not ATG quality. He actually hasn't even met the 3,000 run/100 wicket criteria without Zimbabwe (2226 runs and 95 wickets).

It's a telling stat, but a flawed stat, as I'm sure if you remove the weakest opposition out of the careers of everyone in that list it would hurt their records.

Shakib's biggest weakness is playing outside of Asia - in Asia he has an average difference of 3.15. His bowling suffers in Africa and Americas and his batting suffers in Europe and Oceania. However, he has only played 12 games in each of those regions, a total of 24 out of Asia and 58 in them. 45 of those Asia games are in Bangladesh (where he beasts with a average difference of 8.19)

Harsh to blame Shakib for playing most of his games at home, since no country seems willing to invite BD over for a full tour. But he hasn't done too well in the 37 games he has played outside of home; and that's a major blemish on his record.

And when it comes to performing on the big stage...Shakib seems to bat better in tournament matches (averages 39.77 in 26 games) but bowls worse (21 wickets @ 49.8). Pretty odd. His World Cup record to date is pretty dreadful too.

He needs to perform out of Asia to be in the reckoning of a ATG ODI allrounder. This World Cup and his next few overseas ODI assignments will be interesting to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He's one of best pure allrounders ever. ****ing gun, love him.
    CricAddict likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Not his fault he never gets the chance, but he's going to have to deliver against the best sides if he's ever going to justify being compared to those who have

yeah, agreed
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    - Infact, only 7 players in this list average below 30 with the ball; Shakib's batting average is the second highest behind Klusener (who averages more than him with the ball). So basically...no one has both a higher batting average and a lower bowling average than Shakib.
    Looking at your list, I think you could make a case for either Flintoff and Klusener having a better batting and bowling record. Flintoff's got a much better bowling average and he batted at a similar average with a much better strike rate. Klusener's the opposite, having a superior batting average with a slightly less good bowling average, but he took 6 five-fors to Shakib's none.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Anyway, today he was out first ball to Vusi Sibanda so I don't think we can take him that seriously
    zorax likes this.

If he plays till he's 35+ he should retire as the greatest ODI all-rounder (he's close already imo) and possibly even the greatest Test as well (at least top 5).
    Last edited by viriya; 23-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Here are the stats limiting it to the 9 Test Nations and Zimbabwe.

Shakib's average difference still 7th best now (I made a mistake in my earlier post - he was 7th best in that list too).

He still averages below 30 with the ball, while Klusener has gone above 30, making it only 6 bowlers averaging below 30 in that list. And Shakib still has the best batting average of the lot.
    What happens when you remove Zimbabwe?
    Vote for CW top 50 ODI cricketers of all time here

I did that too. Check the post I made after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    He's one of best pure allrounders ever. ****ing gun, love him.
    Yes, he is a great already in terms of pure allrounders. Cannot classify if he is a better bat or a better bowler.

Did anyone notice how Klusener and Jaysuriya took their wickets in bunches? Their runs also came in a way. Shakib might have better figures, but have never attained the potential of Klusener or Jayasuriya to win matches with an impact performance.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Did anyone notice how Klusener and Jaysuriya took their wickets in bunches? Their runs also came in a way. Shakib might have better figures, but have never attained the potential of Klusener or Jayasuriya to win matches with an impact performance.
    "Impact" performance seems like a buzz word. Shakib has won plenty of matches all by himself. The fact he didn't do it with a SR of 200 does not detract from that.

Shakib is the highest run scorer for Bangladesh in wins, 52.40
    53.75 against the top 8 opposition teams.
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

2nd highest wicket taker in Bangldeshi wins when you exclude Zimbabwe who he massively beats up on

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

I doubt there are many players in the game who's own fortunes have contributed so much to the success of his team.
    Last edited by Athlai; 24-11-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

A side note. How does Shakib vs Mathews compare as all rounders? Played 138 a piece, Mathews 40.6 @ 85.6 with bat and 35.7 with ball. Shakib 35.1 @ 79.3 with bat and 28.4 with the ball.

And incidentally, these two are 1 and 3 in ODI all rounder rankings.
    Last edited by Migara; 24-11-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    A side note. How does Shakib vs Mathews compare as all rounders? Played 138 a piece, Mathews 40.6 @ 85.6 with bat and 35.7 with ball. Shakib 35.1 @ 79.3 with bat and 28.4 with the ball.
    Mathews is vastly superior with the bat but Shakib is twice the bowler. Shakib probably better on overall "all-round" value but depending on your playing XI you could easily pick Mathews over him.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information