• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Flem274*

123/5
Will back him to be one of the great ODI allrounders. A real gem in that format. In tests I'll back him to be somewhere between Vettori and Cairns.

cnerd123

likes this
Bumpity Bump.

Lets see how Shakib compares to other great ODI allrounders.

First note - The runs/wickets of all 3552 completed ODIs since 1971 is 29.62. The economy rate is 4.74 - translates to a strike rate of 79.

Aggregate/overall records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Naturally there have been changes across eras and ODIs keep evolving, and as such we should keep all that in mind when making comparisons. Nevertheless, using this information, I have set a cut-off of 3000 runs and 100 wickets to evaluate the 'ATG' ODI allrounders. Shakib comfortably fits both criteria, which helps for this analysis.

Only 30 cricketers have achieved this:

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Now...this list is littered with batsmen who bowled part time (Sachin, Richards, Ganguly, De Silva) and has Wasim who was a bowler who could bat. Use this data to compare and contrast as you will, but some interesting notes:

- If you sort by 'Average Difference', Shakib ends up a very respectable 7th on the list, above names like Symonds, Pollock, Razzaq, Dev and Cairns. Only Viv Richards has a higher Average Difference out of spin-bowling allrounders, although calling him an allrounder (bowling average of 35.83) is a bit generous.

- Shakib is also 6th overall in terms of bowling averages, and 13th in batting average (behind batsmen like Sachin, Richards, Ganguly, Gayle and Cronje).

- Infact, only 7 players in this list average below 30 with the ball; Shakib's batting average is the second highest behind Klusener (who averages more than him with the ball). So basically...no one has both a higher batting average and a lower bowling average than Shakib.

Now these stats might be a bit different if you filter by Test playing nations only, and consideration should be given to match-winning performances, the era they played in, and performance in global events.I cbf to do any of those now.

Shakib is still only 27. His best years should be ahead of him, both as a batsman and as a spinner. He's definitely making it hard to ignore his name in ATG ODI XI discussions.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shakib's a great for me in both formats. But more so in tests than ODIs. He's always awesome in tests and has delivered the goods consistently even against the best sides. His ODI record on the other hand flatters him somewhat because unlike in tests, Bangladesh have played other crap sides like Zimbabwe and the associates a lot in ODI cricket. Wouldn't put him above the other great ODI all rounders like Flintoff, Watson, Jayasuriya,Klusener.

cnerd123

likes this
Here are the stats limiting it to the 9 Test Nations and Zimbabwe.

Shakib's average difference still 7th best now (I made a mistake in my earlier post - he was 7th best in that list too).

He still averages below 30 with the ball, while Klusener has gone above 30, making it only 6 bowlers averaging below 30 in that list. And Shakib still has the best batting average of the lot.

cnerd123

likes this
Also worth noting that 2 players are no longer on the list when you exclude minnows - Yuvraj Singh and Grant Flower.

And that 5 out of Shakib's 6 tons are against the Top 8 + Zimbabwe, although granted 3 of them are against Zimbabwe themselves, who have been more or less associate level during his career.

I hesitate to take Zimbabwe out of the earlier query I put up because they were pretty competitive for a while, during the careers of players such as Kallis, Klusener and Dev, but in Shakib's case if you exclude Zimbawe you end up with an average difference of -2.49.

Still a good record but not ATG quality. He actually hasn't even met the 3,000 run/100 wicket criteria without Zimbabwe (2226 runs and 95 wickets).

It's a telling stat, but a flawed stat, as I'm sure if you remove the weakest opposition out of the careers of everyone in that list it would hurt their records.

Shakib's biggest weakness is playing outside of Asia - in Asia he has an average difference of 3.15. His bowling suffers in Africa and Americas and his batting suffers in Europe and Oceania. However, he has only played 12 games in each of those regions, a total of 24 out of Asia and 58 in them. 45 of those Asia games are in Bangladesh (where he beasts with a average difference of 8.19)

Harsh to blame Shakib for playing most of his games at home, since no country seems willing to invite BD over for a full tour. But he hasn't done too well in the 37 games he has played outside of home; and that's a major blemish on his record.

And when it comes to performing on the big stage...Shakib seems to bat better in tournament matches (averages 39.77 in 26 games) but bowls worse (21 wickets @ 49.8). Pretty odd. His World Cup record to date is pretty dreadful too.

He needs to perform out of Asia to be in the reckoning of a ATG ODI allrounder. This World Cup and his next few overseas ODI assignments will be interesting to watch.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not his fault he never gets the chance, but he's going to have to deliver against the best sides if he's ever going to justify being compared to those who have

Howe_zat

Audio File
- Infact, only 7 players in this list average below 30 with the ball; Shakib's batting average is the second highest behind Klusener (who averages more than him with the ball). So basically...no one has both a higher batting average and a lower bowling average than Shakib.
Looking at your list, I think you could make a case for either Flintoff and Klusener having a better batting and bowling record. Flintoff's got a much better bowling average and he batted at a similar average with a much better strike rate. Klusener's the opposite, having a superior batting average with a slightly less good bowling average, but he took 6 five-fors to Shakib's none.

viriya

International Captain
If he plays till he's 35+ he should retire as the greatest ODI all-rounder (he's close already imo) and possibly even the greatest Test as well (at least top 5).

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Here are the stats limiting it to the 9 Test Nations and Zimbabwe.

Shakib's average difference still 7th best now (I made a mistake in my earlier post - he was 7th best in that list too).

He still averages below 30 with the ball, while Klusener has gone above 30, making it only 6 bowlers averaging below 30 in that list. And Shakib still has the best batting average of the lot.
What happens when you remove Zimbabwe?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Did anyone notice how Klusener and Jaysuriya took their wickets in bunches? Their runs also came in a way. Shakib might have better figures, but have never attained the potential of Klusener or Jayasuriya to win matches with an impact performance.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Did anyone notice how Klusener and Jaysuriya took their wickets in bunches? Their runs also came in a way. Shakib might have better figures, but have never attained the potential of Klusener or Jayasuriya to win matches with an impact performance.
"Impact" performance seems like a buzz word. Shakib has won plenty of matches all by himself. The fact he didn't do it with a SR of 200 does not detract from that.

Shakib is the highest run scorer for Bangladesh in wins, 52.40
53.75 against the top 8 opposition teams.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...esult=1;team=25;template=results;type=batting

2nd highest wicket taker in Bangldeshi wins when you exclude Zimbabwe who he massively beats up on

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...esult=1;team=25;template=results;type=bowling

I doubt there are many players in the game who's own fortunes have contributed so much to the success of his team.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
A side note. How does Shakib vs Mathews compare as all rounders? Played 138 a piece, Mathews 40.6 @ 85.6 with bat and 35.7 with ball. Shakib 35.1 @ 79.3 with bat and 28.4 with the ball.

And incidentally, these two are 1 and 3 in ODI all rounder rankings.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
A side note. How does Shakib vs Mathews compare as all rounders? Played 138 a piece, Mathews 40.6 @ 85.6 with bat and 35.7 with ball. Shakib 35.1 @ 79.3 with bat and 28.4 with the ball.
Mathews is vastly superior with the bat but Shakib is twice the bowler. Shakib probably better on overall "all-round" value but depending on your playing XI you could easily pick Mathews over him.