• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

cnerd123

likes this
while drinking is a big part of cricketing culture and it definitely important in evaluating the overall greatness of a player, i don't think it's fair to exclude Shakib from the ATG discussion just because he doesn't drink.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's more than one way to be a rock star, yeah you can be hard drinking and mental or you can be chill and not give a ****. Shakib is chill. Once appeared on the team balcony in his dressing gown.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
while drinking is a big part of cricketing culture and it definitely important in evaluating the overall greatness of a player, i don't think it's fair to exclude Shakib from the ATG discussion just because he doesn't drink.
ffs no one was excluding him from anything. It's just a comment about contrasting personalities.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man imagine how good Shakib's stats would be if he got to bash minnows like Australia more often

:ph34r:
That's the reason why the "He hasn't played the supposedly big teams enough" was dumb. He's done well against Pak and SL in SC conditions but people wanted him to "prove himself" against renowned giants of playing spin England and Australia. Weird tstl.

91Jmay

International Coach
He is obviously a tier behind the ATGs but he is better than the likes of Flintoff/Cairns etc. Excellent player.

cnerd123

likes this
Shakib is only 30

Theoretically his best years as a batsman and a spinner are ahead of him

What does he need to do from here on out to join the pantheon of 1st tier ATGs?

Shri

Mr. Glass
He won't. At best, he'll be a 5000 run/300 wickets player. And people will rate him below Vettori.

srbhkshk

International Captain
He is a far better batsman compared to Vettori, Vettori the better bowler imo, but not as much distance in that. I don't think he'll ever become tier 1 tbh.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
To become a top tier ATG, he has to elevate either his batting or bowling to beast mode while keeping the other one as it is now. I think its not possible.

Aritro

International Regular
He had a very good claim to being one of the best spinners in the world around the time I started this thread, but his bowling's largely dropped off in recent years. He bowls with less adventure now and doesn't have the variations or turn to undo a batsman with a jaffa delivery unless there's help from the pitch.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To become a top tier ATG, he has to elevate either his batting or bowling to beast mode while keeping the other one as it is now. I think its not possible.
He could get near Aubrey Faulkner level stats, 42/26

Nowhere near ATG in either category but an ATG all-rounder

Also... Botham