• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Aritro

International Regular
Inspired by the Watto vs Sobers thread, I've looked up the test stats for a number of the greatest all rounders of all time after they'd played their first 14 matches, which is the tally Shakib's career stands at now. Of course Shakib's stats are slightly inflated by the recent series against West Indies' C team, but I'd also suggest that they're definitely also slightly deflated by his being part of the most hapless team in history. Although maybe I'm being charitable.

Shakib Al Hasan: Runs: 715, Ave: 29.79,HS: 96*, 50s: 4,100s: 0,Wkt: 48, Ave: 28.27, Str: 62.3, B/B: 7/36, 5/I: 5, 10/M: 0

Jacques Kallis: Runs: 548, Ave: 24.9, HS: 101, 50s: 2, 100s: 1,Wkt: 13, Ave: 38.3, Str: 95.2, B/B: 3/29, 5/I: 0, 10/M: 0

Garfield Sobers: Runs: 672, Ave: 30.54, HS: 66, 50s: 3, 100s: 0, Wkt: 17, Ave: 41.05, Str: 107.4, B/B: 4/75, 5/I: 0, 10/M: 0

Imran Khan: Runs: 458, Ave: 20.81, HS: 59, 50s: 1, 100s: 0,Wkt: 54, Ave: 34.72, Str: 71.4, B/B: 6/63, 5/I: 3, 10/M: 1

Ian Botham: Runs: 622, Ave: 36.58, HS: 108, 50s: 1, 100s: 3, Wkt: 76, Ave: 18.46, Str: 43.6, B/B: 8/34, 5/I: 8, 10/M: 1

Kapil Dev: Runs: 616, Ave: 36.23, HS: 126*, 50s: 4, 100s: 1, Wkt: 43, Ave: 37.37, Str: 67.1, B/B: 5/146, 5/I: 1, 10/M: 0

Richard Hadlee:Runs: 448, Ave: 21.33, HS: 87, 50s: 1, 100s: 0, Wkt: 50, Ave: 34.54, Str: 58.6, B/B: 7/23, 5/I: 2, 10/M: 1

He's scored more runs than every single player on that list!

His batting average compares favourably to all bar Sobers, Botham and Dev.

He's taken more wickets than everyone other than Khan, Botham and Hadlee.

His bowling average is better than every single player other than Botham.

His bowling strike rate is better than every single player other than Botham and Hadlee.

Looks like our wonderkid doesn't compare too badly at all, does he?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously way too early to tell, but he's a ****ing gun either way. Some might say Bashar or Mortaza have a claim on it, but I'd put him down as their first actual world-class player.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If he is even a poor mans version of any of those players Bangladesh will be much better for it. Still only 22 isn't he?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Obviously way too early to tell, but he's a ****ing gun either way. Some might say Bashar or Mortaza have a claim on it, but I'd put him down as their first actual world-class player.
Guy could be called their best batsman and bowler ever. Close to it anyway.

Aritro

International Regular
I agree with that.

Bashar had averaged around 40 for his first ten games before it slipped slowly down to the mid 30s, and then eventually he became a parody of himself.

Mortaza should have taken well over 100 test wickets by now and had all the tools to be a world class seamer but there's no way anyone can expect to reach anywhere near their potential with the injury run he's had. He's genuinely threatening on the rare days he can put his back into it and hit the deck hard, but most of the time he's a fairly tame 130kph bowler who puts it on the spot. He relies on bad shots for a lot of his wickets and is the sort of bowler who'll walk off the field with a tidy 2/60 off 20 under his belt without ever looking all that dangerous.

jondavluc

State Regular
He looks quite a talent I will give him that much.The fact that he has made New Zealand ,South Africa,and even Sri Lanka fight hard for their wins is amazing considering the team he is playing in.I hope he can continue what he is doing now and becomes one of the best all rounders of all time.:)

Last edited:

Jarquis

I was going to make a thread comparing him against Vettori.
Personally I'd probably take Shakib.
Thoughts?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hard choice.

Would take Vettori probably for the experience but Shakib will probably overshadow him if he keeps improving.

jondavluc

State Regular
I was going to make a thread comparing him against Vettori.
Personally I'd probably take Shakib.
Thoughts?
Do you mean tests? Vettori has proof with performances with both bat and ball for years in test cricket while Shakib has had a year or so of good performances I couldn't even consider it at the moment .I would though most likely take Shakib for one day cricket since is bat has transferred much better than Vetori's .Either way I would love ethier of them to be in my country aka Australia.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
You would take a guy who is top 30-50 in the world with the bat in ODI's to the guy who is top 5 bowling? ITSTL

Jarquis

Do you mean tests? Vettori has proof with performances with both bat and ball for years in test cricket while Shakib has had a year or so of good performances I couldn't even consider it at the moment .I would though most likely take Shakib for one day cricket since is bat has transferred much better than Vetori's .Either way I would love ethier of them to be in my country aka Australia.
Tests, I had a discussion about it a little while ago.
If you compare Shakib and Vettori since Shakib made his debut it is close :

Vettori - 970 runs at 38.80 and 64 wickets at 30.93.
Shakib - 715 runs at 29.79 and 48 wickets at 28.27

Especially when you consider that Vettori absolutely smashed Bangladesh. Shakib doesn't have the luxury of bowling to / batting against Bangladesh :p.
I know this is all manipulation of stats but if you take out Vettori's series against Bangladesh it gets a little ugly for him.
Vettori - 691 runs at 32.90 and 44 wickets at 38.40

There is definitely a case for Shakib IMO.

Pigeon

Banned
He is still an adolescent god. Wait till he matures and he will blow all those pretenders to smithereens.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Harsh to take out Vettori's batting against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. It was world class considering the spin attack. Also if removing Bangladesh you should remove West Indies C as well.

Jarquis

Harsh to take out Vettori's batting against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. It was world class considering the spin attack. Also if removing Bangladesh you should remove West Indies C as well.
If you leave the batting you pretty much have someone who averages 38 and 38 or someone that averages 29 and 29. Vettori > Shakib with the bat. Shakib > Vettori with the ball?

In which case Shakib has 556 runs @ 26.47 and 35 wickets at 31.80.

Not all that much in it.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shakib is probably the superior Test bowler, but not by as much as that suggests. Also Vettori may be the superior Test batsman... yet once again probably not by 10 points.

Jarquis

Shakib is probably the superior Test bowler, but not by as much as that suggests. Also Vettori may be the superior Test batsman... yet once again probably not by 10 points.
Taking West Indies C team out of the equation leaves Shakib's stats looking like so :
556 runs @ 26.47 and 35 wickets at 31.80.
An even more unfair reflection on the difference in batting ability, although the bowling is a bit closer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taking West Indies C team out of the equation leaves Shakib's stats looking like so :
556 runs @ 26.47 and 35 wickets at 31.80.
An even more unfair reflection on the difference in batting ability, although the bowling is a bit closer.
Still awesome stats TBH.