• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are currently your 3 favourite Ashes moments in cricket and why?

KL70

Cricket Spectator
Irrespective which teams or players played in anything named, from the time the Ashes began to present day, what are currently your 3 (or even 4) personal favourite Ashes moments in cricket (in terms of play and/or anything else) and please separately say why, for each fave moment mentioned.

Obviously if anything mentioned occurred before you were born and you've only read about it, it's still ok to mention it, but of course most would nominate fave moments seen in person and/or on TV.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Graeme Thorpe got a century at the MCG, I think the day before Warne took his hat-trick. Was a really good innings, remember him pulling with his front leg in the air, played a glorious innings. Was there that day, and he played wonderfully.

Michael Slater's 100 to keep Australia from a loss on a rain affected last day in Sydney, which would have allowed England to draw the Ashes if they had've won.

Matthew Elliott's 1997 Ashes Tour, a glimpse of what should have been a long career, as he batted like many observers knew he could.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was at Sydney day on in the late 90s when Australia scored 300+, Mark Waugh got 100, Steve Waugh got 90 (or it may have been the other way around), 10 wickets fell and the day finished in front of a full house with Darren Gough taking a hat trick.

To say it was value for money is something of an understatement.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
3 seems too little TBH. I think i can do 10 easily:

- S Waugh twin centuries OT 97. Turned me into a cricket fan right away.

- Gough's hattrick MCG 98

- Ponting 156. Best innings i have seen live at a ground

- Flintoff's reaction to bowling Gilchrist @ Lords 05

- McGrath's spell, Lords 05 & 97. They dont come better than these.

- Slater's assault on Gough 2001 1st test

- Hayden 196, 1st test 02. Just bruuuuuutal

- Waugh hitting the last ball for 4 @ SCG 03

- Any cover drive Vaughan played in 2002/03

- Hayden's battling innings @ Oval 05.

Many more still. Nothing beats the Ashes..

Five-nil That was just awesome.

Pontings 78 really showed his class

Warne bowling Gatting with the ball of the century.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slater's demolition of Gough in 2001

Flintoff consoling Lee at Edgbaston in 2005

The Aussie crowd in Perth - "Tuffnell, lend us your brain, we're building an idiot"

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
- Hussain's double century (one of the all time great innings, dismissed by a jaffa too)
- Gough's hattrick (lived for the Ashes)
- Warne in 2005 (40 wickets in 5 matches - unreal!)

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Steve Waugh's last Test innings in England.
/
Vaughan's 183 at the SCG to set up Caddick's demolition job,preventing a 5 - 0.
Steve Waugh(again) & Gilchrist weren't too shabby in that match iirc.
/
Gilchrist arrives at Edgbaston (2001 N0T 2005).
152 to all parts of the ground.
Played and batted the way cricket was meant to be played.
Favourite 0Z player,the Punter 2nd.
/
Oh what the hell I'll mention a 4th.
Tufnell's Test at England's oldest Test ground,1997.When Ashes contests were 6 match affairs.
Pitch tailor made for him and he spun webs.Tenfer in that match.
Sadly for the Cat, 4 years later at the same ground...refer to first
sentence...

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
In no particular order;

-Gough taking the winning wicket at Melbourne in 98/99; that was probably the moment that really made me into a true cricket fan.

-Pietersen slapping Brett Lee baseball-style down the ground at the Oval in 2005. One of the most gripping onslaughts i've seen in cricket.

-Geraint Jones' catch at Old Trafford. The one that rebounded off Strauss.

-Every single time Phil Hughes failed this summer.

And last but not least;

-Ramprakash's match winning second-innings hundred at the Oval in 2009. :ph34r:

KL70

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the responses, but the post also clearly asks to state why
your very fave Ashes moments mentioned are your picks of the best.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Oval 2005 - Freddie bowls 463 overs unchanged for a second career 5fer as the crims collapse from something like 180-1 to 360ish all out. I love that guy, would give him a big hug if I ever met him. People talk about Pietersen's innings, but we would have been under so much more pressure if we were batting to avoid an innings defeat rather than setting a potential target the next day. My favourite Flintoff spell, including Lord's the other week, Edgbaston last year, Edgbaston 05. They were all better spells in terms of how he bowled, but this one meant so much. God, did I mention I love Freddie?

Edgbaston 97 - Nasser Hussain scores 207, and that was the innings that pretty much made me a cricket fan. I couldn't tell you a whole lot about the intricacies of the innings, but boy did I enjoy it and it still means a lot to me these days, especially as we wound up winning that series 2-0.

Cardiff 2009 - i was close to tears when Paul Collingwood got out after playing a mother****er of a rearguard. I couldn't sit still, was posting utter gibberish in the match thread (no change there), and resigned myself to defeat as Monty strolled out. But with a superstar batsman at the other end, they never looked like getting out, it was 11 overs of sheer hell, when we took the lead I jumped up and down, when time was called, I jumped off the couch and hurled my remote control across the room. got very drunk that night. Maybe I'm overplaying it because it's so fresh in the memory but honestly, I have never felt so relieved. After looking forwards to this series for ages a feeling of here we go again had been setting in, I honestly felt that with that draw we could move forwards and win the series...we'll see, it may lose its place in my heart if we lose next week, if we win it'll gain a point or two. Wub u jimmeh, and cheers Monty

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Edgbaston 97 - Nasser Hussain scores 207, and that was the innings that pretty much made me a cricket fan. I couldn't tell you a whole lot about the intricacies of the innings, but boy did I enjoy it and it still means a lot to me these days, especially as we wound up winning that series 2-0.
Same here, good to know there is more than one of us.