• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs, Winning 2011 World Cup

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs | India Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Sachin Tendulkar has said he is not satisfied with his achievements and hopes to accumulate 15,000 runs and win the World Cup in 2011.

"I am not pleased yet with what I have done," Tendulkar, who has scored a record 12773 Test runs at an average of 54.58 from 159 matches, said in an interview with the Wisden Cricketer. "Sunil Gavaskar has told me that I have to get to 15,000 runs. He said he would be angry with me and would come and catch me if I didn't. I admire him so much and to score that many would be a terrific achievement, but that is not the only aim." His other big cricketing ambition is to "win the World Cup in 2011".

Dissector

International Debutant
Well this is good news for those of us who want Sachin to score 50 test hundreds and 100 international hundreds. It will depend on his form and fitness of course but at least the desire is still there.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Time is the key. If he plays long enough runs are bound to come.

I hope he achieves 15000 runs, but not the World Cup.

brockley

International Captain
He won't do the 15,000 with injuries,he may have to play to 2012/13 to get those runs and he will be 41/42.
World cup possible if fit.
I don't see him playing australia in 3 years.
His body is a mess.
I guess all he can do is try.
If i was him tho i would retire after the next world cup,15000 out of range.

Athlai

Not Terrible
To be the number 1 team you need the bowlers for it, unless Tendulkar radically improves his bowling, then he is unlikely to be winning many Test matches.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be the number 1 team you need the bowlers for it, unless Tendulkar radically improves his bowling, then he is unlikely to be winning many Test matches.
They're not that far off the number 1 spot on rankings actually. Its not unforeseeable that he may play in the #1 ranked test or ODI team in his career.

Loss of Kumble obviously hurts.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Is he touring Australia in 2011/12? Depends on if he hits 15,000 before then.

Would be great for team morale if he was on14,999 after the tests against West Indies in India.

"Guys, I'm just touring so I can score 1 run because Sunny Gavaskar said I have to"

Though I'm willing to bet Tendulkar's goal is to retire after the Pakistan tour of India in 2012. That will give him plenty of time to get 15,000.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Will probably be battling Aus and SA for the top spot, though I reckon they will still come up short when away from home.

Cruxdude

International Debutant

Would be great for team morale if he was on14,999 after the tests against West Indies in India.

"Guys, I'm just touring so I can score 1 run because Sunny Gavaskar said I have to"

Though I'm willing to bet Tendulkar's goal is to retire after the Pakistan tour of India in 2012. That will give him plenty of time to get 15,000.
His aim is to get 15000 runs but no mention of helping India reach number 1.
Think he must repeat it in every interview for you guys. Finding fault with a simple statement where he says he wants to end up with 15000 runs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I reckon a few posters here are taking Sachin's intentions where they clearly don't lie.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Will probably be battling Aus and SA for the top spot, though I reckon they will still come up short when away from home.
Why? India have won more overseas tests than any other side bar Australia since 2000.

What we really need is a captain who's not so terrified of losing and doesn't set one day fields in test matches. As long as we continue to go 1-0 up and then play for the draw we'll never be no.1.

Would absolutely love Sachin to hit 15,000 runs, the hundred 100's and lift the 2011 WC, but with us playing just 6 tests over the next year (3 in SA I believe too), our bowling attack being completely blunt in ODI's in India, the ridiculous media pressure that will come with a home WC.... it's going to be tough.

brockley

International Captain
I think its a stretch of india ever being no 1 in tests s africa and australia have highe % wins,india has a higher % of drawn tests thats why they will never be no 1.
One dayers india will probably pass s africa when they play 7 one dayers vs australia,thats unless they stuff up,which is always possible.
15,000 runs comes down to his body,2012 thats a stretch don't see ricky pontong playing to 2012 and he is 2 years younger than sachin.
hate to see sachin's body in 2012 if he keeps playing something like ian healeys fingers.
Altho some indians are ultimate optimists they believe sachin will play forever,but he is only human.
The 2010/11 world cup is a more realistic target and thats with retiring from test cricket in 12 months.

Pigeon

Banned
He won't do the 15,000 with injuries,he may have to play to 2012/13 to get those runs and he will be 41/42.
World cup possible if fit.
I don't see him playing australia in 3 years.
His body is a mess.
I guess all he can do is try.
If i was him tho i would retire after the next world cup,15000 out of range.
Well sad that Tendulkar does not agree with you on his own state of body.

Pigeon

Banned

Nonsense. Touring Australia is nothing. He has made his mark there.