• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs, Winning 2011 World Cup

Blaze 18

Banned
I don't think there is any chance of him retiring before he gets there. Even if he doesn't get it in the World Cup, he will likely play another series or two after that. The World Cup is clearly his number one priority though, he wouldn't have sat out of all those ODIs otherwise.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If he wins the WC but doesn't get 50 ODI tons, will he retire after the WC?
Don't see why not. He's played what, 4 ODIs since the start of 2010, don't see any reason why he'd continue in the format after the WC seeing as he's all but retired from the format.

You've got tours to England and Australia coming up in the next year, reckon Tendulkar will want to play on and try and ensure India retain their number 1 ranking in Tests.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sorry, I meant will he retire from ODIs after the WC if he doesn't get 50 tons? I think he would play further if he is stuck on 49 100s by the end of the WC.

Bun

Banned
I don't think 50 ODI 100s is a particularly appealing landmark for him to continue playing ODIs should India win the WC and he believes his test career can be elongated by abstaining from ODIs.

But then, if he feels that he is fit enough to enjoy that format, he'll continue to. India don't generally believe in preparing long term for future and I don't think they'll begrudge Tendulkar playing ODIs if he wants to, and is fit to, even if it is at the cost of a youngster/Gambhir denied an opening slot.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Even if Sachin's in superb form i dont see him scoring more than three centuries.. Nobody has infact in a single world cup. So i think he will miss out on the fifty odi centuries unless he decides to extend his odi career which i feel is very unlikely.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I don't think 50 ODI 100s is a particularly appealing landmark for him to continue playing ODIs should India win the WC and he believes his test career can be elongated by abstaining from ODIs.

But then, if he feels that he is fit enough to enjoy that format, he'll continue to. India don't generally believe in preparing long term for future and I don't think they'll begrudge Tendulkar playing ODIs if he wants to, and is fit to, even if it is at the cost of a youngster/Gambhir denied an opening slot.
Don't be fooled by his interviews, Tendulkar does love his records. Clear from his body language when he reaches a big milestone during a game. Don't know why he doesn't accept the fact to the media.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't be fooled by his interviews, Tendulkar does love his records. Clear from his body language when he reaches a big milestone during a game. Don't know why he doesn't accept the fact to the media.
Well if thats the case, 20,000 runs may be in the reckoning. :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Surely if that was the case he'd have taken the opportunity to go to Zimbabwe and cash in?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Are those Preparation matches before the World Cup given ODI status?

There seem to be plenty of them around.

salman85

International Debutant
I respect the man a lot,and i think he should retire after this World Cup.From all formats.Save a legacy that he has developed over the years.Playing on for a few more years only to reach 15000 does sound a bit shallow IMO.No offence to the man or his supporters.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I respect the man a lot,and i think he should retire after this World Cup.From all formats.Save a legacy that he has developed over the years.Playing on for a few more years only to reach 15000 does sound a bit shallow IMO.No offence to the man or his supporters.
He's only 300 runs away from reaching 15K...

bagapath

International Captain
forget the 15K. both tendulkar and dravid (and laxman too) would be very keen to win a series in australia. if they manage to beat west indies, england and australia in the next one year, they can leave test cricket with satisfaction.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it takes him a few years to get to 15k, it would have to be a Chris Martin-esque slump in form.