• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs, Winning 2011 World Cup

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
There was no reason to doubt him anymore in late 2009. He has had one bad series in nearly four years since WC 2007 (SL 2008 when Murali-Mendis were on fire).

EDIT : I guess you could include the recent NZ series, but I like to think that he was saving up his runs for SA. :D
Yep,not in 2009.

That's why is said the date of the post is bizarre.

He really missed piling on the runs in the easiest series of the lot almost against newzealand which Would have given him the record for most runs in the year.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Its very likely that SRT himself didnt quite expect how productive he'd be when he said these things 2 years ago.

btw, Since Kallisball is a designated sport now - shouldnt SRTgraphy be a recognized vocation as well? (rhymes with cartography)

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes ironic that. In glorious form before and after that series and fails in probably the weakest non-minnow challenge he has faced in years.
Credit has to go to the media for building up all the hype around his 50th hundred. It clearly prevented him from playing his natural game as he probably felt obliged to score that 100 every time he went out to bat.

bagapath

International Captain
Credit has to go to the media for building up all the hype around his 50th hundred. It clearly prevented him from playing his natural game as he probably felt obliged to score that 100 every time he went out to bat.
nah.... all these big sportsmen can handle media pressure... they live in that pressure cooker all the time you see... sachin just had a bad series against NZ, plain and simple.... and that series is already forgotten... (dravid's 191, anyone?) it was that inconsequential from the "pressure" perspective....

having failed at home against a weak team, i am so glad the two centuries in SA happened for sachin, one to regain temporary loss in form and the other to save the test, series and the no.1 team's reputation...

i think 100 centuries and 15000 runs are going to happen... and SA is going to win the WC

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
nah.... all these big sportsmen can handle media pressure... they live in that pressure cooker all the time you see... sachin just had a bad series against NZ, plain and simple.... and that series is already forgotten... (dravid's 191, anyone?) it was that inconsequential from the "pressure" perspective....

having failed at home against a weak team, i am so glad the two centuries in SA happened for sachin, one to regain temporary loss in form and the other to save the test, series and the no.1 team's reputation...

i think 100 centuries and 15000 runs are going to happen... and SA is going to win the WC
Don't think they have the real power hitters to score big on flat tracks and also on the slow low scoring spinning tracks ,they lack spinners to take real advantage of them plus the ability to score quick runs on such tracks.
There bowling attack is not that great in ODI's too,specially in SC conditions.

Plus the biggest factor -

*Cough* Choke *Cough*

Can see them being knocked out in a match chasing 320 odd, with Kallis scoring 70 off 85 to 90 balls in a losing effort and there being a big debate here whether the innings was too slow ,because he did not keep the required run rate in check at all and whether it was appropiate as other batsmen who were hitting out were getting dismissed.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

They can handle pressure ,but they are Human after all.

I think you can see with Sachin when he is approaching any milestone he is still nervous and even gets out many times being figity.

This is specially the case when it is in India with all the media hype.

And the Indian media and the crowds in the NZ series had made that series more about him getting his 50th ton rather than actually beating NZ.

bagapath

International Captain
They can handle pressure ,but they are Human after all.

I think you can see with Sachin when he is approaching any milestone he is still nervous and even gets out many times being figity.

This is specially the case when it is in India with all the media hype.

And the Indian media and the crowds in the NZ series had made that series more about him getting his 50th ton rather than actually beating NZ.
sorry dude... you are the one falling for media spun stories of "added pressure of the 50th century getting to him" and such assorted crap dished out by arun lal and co. sachin equaled and went past sunil gavaskar's 34th century easily. overtook lara's 12K+ runs without breaking a sweat. no one even remembers how scored his 10000th run, it was that effortless. now... before you think i am calling him a superman, let me assure you that I did not find warne going past murali and gavaskar overtaking bradman painful either. that is simply because all these were fixed appointments for these guys. special occasions, yes, but they still had a race to run beyond those milestones. sachin will go on for a year so. so he was not under any kind of pressure to score his 50th against NZ. bloody hell.... he didnt even look too happy when he got there one test later in centurion. ;)

on some occasions, like kapil overtaking hadlee or, to a lesser extent, gavaskar crossing 10000 runs, the concerned players looked like they were under pressure to deliver, I agree. that was mainly because they were approaching the end of their careers and were running out of time. kapil practically limped past the record before fading away from the game. gavaskar kept his word and retired one game after touching 10K.

sachin on the other hand is still going alright; he knew he would score his 50th eventually and there was no sword hanging over his head to do it agianst NZ. there was no "or else" clause. he didnt score a century for three test matches. thats no big crime. even bradman can afford to do that. if you had seen the nz series with the TV commentary muted out (and that is how sachin and others play this game; they say **** off arun lal), you would not have felt that he was under pressure to score his 50th; and that is because he really was not.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Agreed with Bagapath here. Sachin is reaching the point in his career where almost everything he does is some sort of milestone.

(most/50/100/10000/other round number)

(international/test/odi/first-class)

(runs/centuries/innings/matches)

Delete as appropriate, Sachin's probably going to get it in his next few games.

If he got nervy near every milestone he'd be a wreck.

bagapath

International Captain
OTOH, I think the world cup is going to put enormous pressure on tendulkar this time, more than the past editions. And that could indirectly hamper his search for 50 centuries in ODI as well. because this is really the last world cup he is going to participate in. ivan lendl was ready to give his right hand for wimbledon. it still eluded him. in a team sport, such goals are even more difficult to attain. as much as I want tendulkar and co to lift that trophy in april, I dont see it happening (reverse jinx mode)

smash84

The Tiger King
sorry dude... you are the one falling for media spun stories of "added pressure of the 50th century getting to him" and such assorted crap dished out by arun lal and co.
lol..........so true......arun lal is so crappy.......

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
OTOH, I think the world cup is going to put enormous pressure on tendulkar this time, more than the past editions. And that could indirectly hamper his search for 50 centuries in ODI as well. because this is really the last world cup he is going to participate in. ivan lendl was ready to give his right hand for wimbledon. it still eluded him. in a team sport, such goals are even more difficult to attain. as much as I want tendulkar and co to lift that trophy in april, I dont see it happening (reverse jinx mode)
Not many ODIs left for him to score another 4 hundreds to reach 50 100's in this format.
Plus, I don't think he actually desires to score 50 100s in ODIs. Otherwise, he would've played more games last year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not many ODIs left for him to score another 4 hundreds to reach 50 100's in this format.
Plus, I don't think he actually desires to score 50 100s in ODIs. Otherwise, he would've played more games last year.
He's got 3 more in this series and between 6 and 9 in the World Cup, that's a reasonable amount of time IMO.

Blaze 18

Banned
He isn't going to be playing the remainder of the ongoing ODI series versus South Africa. He has returned to India.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
9 matches for 4 centuries? At that rate, he'd have had about 200 centuries by now...
It's not out of the question if he hits some awesome form, particularly as 2 of those games will be against associates.

Didn't realise he wasn't playing today though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's not out of the question if he hits some awesome form, particularly as 2 of those games will be against associates.

Didn't realise he wasn't playing today though.
Well, I did not say it was impossible. I was simply saying that having to hit awesome form to get the centuries is not the same as having a reasonable amount of time to get them :p.