• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs, Winning 2011 World Cup

Pigeon

Banned
I think its a stretch of india ever being no 1 in tests s africa and australia have highe % wins,india has a higher % of drawn tests thats why they will never be no 1.
One dayers india will probably pass s africa when they play 7 one dayers vs australia,thats unless they stuff up,which is always possible.
15,000 runs comes down to his body,2012 thats a stretch don't see ricky pontong playing to 2012 and he is 2 years younger than sachin.
hate to see sachin's body in 2012 if he keeps playing something like ian healeys fingers.
Altho some indians are ultimate optimists they believe sachin will play forever,but he is only human.
The 2010/11 world cup is a more realistic target and thats with retiring from test cricket in 12 months.
Is it a crime to be an optimist?

Pigeon

Banned
I too really hope Tendulkar goes and achieves the 15k mark. But do I expect him to? No. He has done what 95% of people playing at the top level cannot even dream of. Hats off to the guy to still keep dreaming and get driven by that. Instead of trying to find faults in his each and every word, and thereby act like total morons, I wish people realised the extent of what the guy has done over his career spanning two decades. To retain the same level of drive even after playing so many games, makes him a real master and professional.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I can't imagine the pressure these guys are going to face during the 2011 World Cup. It is all going to depend on whether the younger brigade can handle it.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Nonsense. Touring Australia is nothing. He has made his mark there.
Just because he has a good record in Aus doesn't mean it comes easily. And Australia is not the hardest place to bat if you're fit and mentally prepared. We dont doctor pitches to produce the results we want so batsmen can do well if they're good enough.

And in 2011/12 India will most likely face the strongest Australian bowling attack since 99/2000 where he averaged 46 when he was at the peak of his game.

But retiring after a home series against Pakistan would definitely be a good way to go. The BCCI probably already have $$ in their eyes over the prospect.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Banned
Just because he has a good record in Aus doesn't mean it comes easily. And Australia is not the hardest place to bat if you're fit and mentally prepared. We dont doctor pitches to produce the results we want so batsmen can do well if they're good enough.

And in 2011/12 India will most likely face the strongest Australian bowling attack since 99/2000 where he averaged 46 when he was at the peak of his game.

But retiring after a home series against Pakistan would definitely be a good way to go. The BCCI probably already have $$ in their eyes over the prospect.
BS. Even at their peak. Johnson & Co are hardly going to make even 50% impact that McGrath and Warne did. Tendulkar showed how dominant and dismissive of the current Aussie bowling crop by showing what he is capable in the last two series.

Oh by the way, Tendulkar averages 56 in Australia, including series that he played as a teenager against Merv Hughes & Co. Surely, they are a cakewalk as per your argument is it not?

Also, I'd gladly take that average of 46 against McGrath and Warne combined at their peak, with added burdens of being the only batsman who was performing and also considering he was at the rough end of atleast two dubious dismissals in that tour.

Last edited:

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I really hopes he will be able to reach the 15.000, would be awesome.
I learnt so much from him when it comes to batting, he deserves it.

Concerning the WC, if India had taken him in the squad 2 months ago, I assume we talk about T20, who knows where they could have ended. But at this stage I prefer a SA vs AUS final.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What Tendulkar really wants but isn't saying is to get a century of international centuries. He has 85 of them already (42 plus 43). By saying he wants 15000 runs, he is wanting to score just under 2300 more Test runs. By his recent years' performance that should take just over three years in which time he should get about 7-9 odd more Test centuries.During the same period he should expect to score another 4-5 ODI hundreds which will bring him very close to that 100 century mark Of course with a couple more to go he will play long enough to get them.

He said many years ago, when asked if he had any target in mind, that he had but would not like to disclose it. I have always felt that target is a hundred international hundreds. The individual aggregates for tests or for ODI's might get overtaken but to get a hundred centuries is going to take some beating. He doesn't want to say it for it builds un-necessary pressure from the media. Already we have seen how he has become more vulnerable in the nineties in this the last stage of his career than he ever was. Thats his own internal pressure for his dream objective. If the whole world starts talking about it, it will be simply too much and we know the extent to which the Indian media is capable of going to build up hype.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
well the 15k runs is pretty much in the bag, im thinking he should go for
a) 55 test centuries
b) 15k+ runs
c) world cup 2011 win
d) 50 odi centuries

and then just retire gracefully, it'll suck though :(

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he targets 15k test runs and the 2011 WC, I'd expect him to retire from ODI's after the WC, and tests around the Australian tour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be the number 1 team you need the bowlers for it, unless Tendulkar radically improves his bowling, then he is unlikely to be winning many Test matches.
They're not that far off the number 1 spot on rankings actually. Its not unforeseeable that he may play in the #1 ranked test or ODI team in his career.

Loss of Kumble obviously hurts.
What a ****ing post.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who could have predicted Australia's decline and South Africa never dominating.

:(

Though I guess Australian doomsayers have been around for ages and South Africa does traditionally choke...

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
He won't do the 15,000 with injuries,he may have to play to 2012/13 to get those runs and he will be 41/42.
World cup possible if fit.
I don't see him playing australia in 3 years.
His body is a mess.
I guess all he can do is try.
If i was him tho i would retire after the next world cup,15000 out of range.
So much fail in one post!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So much fail in one post!
To be fair though the date of that post is bizzare,his body was a complete mess at one time with the tennis elbow,Back problems and him losing powere in his shots.

He had the grit to fight on and rejuvenate and transform his game to the extent he has to suit his body ,though which is incredible really.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was no reason to doubt him anymore in late 2009. He has had one bad series in nearly four years since WC 2007 (SL 2008 when Murali-Mendis were on fire).

EDIT : I guess you could include the recent NZ series, but I like to think that he was saving up his runs for SA. :D

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
CheckList -

Play in NO.1 Test team - Done

50 Test Centuries - Done

15,000 Test Runs - Almost done.

100 international centuries - Almost Done

Win the World Cup -:)